0 comments

General


It was early morning when the plane from Kochi landed at Chennai airport. There was the usual rush at the baggage conveyor, and among them were two women who stood by to find their bags. Thais was the elder woman who was about 30, and Xenia who was with her was in the twenties. Both of them had good facial features and were dressed in jeans with matching tops. They picked up their suitcases and walked along towards the taxi stand.

 Boarding a taxi Xenia said “Take us to Lydgate hotel.”

It wasn’t a long drive, and they reached in only half an hour. The hotel appeared to be in a down town area and lacked frills like a garden around it as space would have been at a premium in the area. Nevertheless the architect had designed the facade which was very pleasing to the eye through a combination of coloured tiles. On entry, one could see an attractive ‘active’ indoor fountain created out of marble and granite with water programmed to flow at varying speeds. It was lit such that one of the spouts was throwing a flame. The effect was enchanting to view even continuously. The two sari clad receptionists appeared very friendly and efficient, and helped the guests to register without any delay.   As reception was allotting the room, Thais asked “Is there a Professor Dugal staying here?”

The receptionist said with a smile “Sorry madam. We aren’t allowed to reveal names of our guests.”

Xenia whispered “Thais, don’t be so anxious. We’ll be with investigator Rahim in a couple of hours.”

A page carried their suitcases and escorted them through nicely carpeted passages to their room. They were to stay in a duplex occupancy room. Once inside the room, Thais relaxed on a sofa enjoying the air conditioning while Xenia got busy unpacking.

Thais said “Let me call Rahim. I want to know if that tart Natasha is with Dugal. You know what I’ll do to her? I’ll------“

“Thais control yourself.  Don’t call Rahim. Remember we chose Lydgate as Rahim’s office is located almost next door. We’ll step out immediately after we have had breakfast. Let me now finish my toilet and then you can use it.”

Thais said “I’ve at least the newspaper though in fact, I don’t feel like browsing it due to worry. You go ahead.”

In an hour the women were ready to go out. Thais was in a gorgeous blue and cream designer sari, while Xenia was in a yellow and red salwar suit. They went to the dining hall and quickly finished breakfast. Thais said “The food here is good.”

“I know. That’s also why I booked our room here.”

“Dugal told me he also likes to stay here. Now let’s go and meet Rahim.”

They walked out of the hotel and in minutes were in the building housing Rahim’s investigation agency’s office. At the entrance Thais sounded the security guard in uniform who said “One moment.  Mr.Rahim is parking his car and will be here in a moment.”

Before the security could finish answering, Rahim arrived leather bag in hand, and the guard by a mere look made Rahim to understand the visitors had come to meet him.

Rahim said “Welcome ladies. I’m Rahim. Please come with me.” He was a fair, tall, well-built man, balding, and with a clean shaven face. He was dressed in grey coloured pants with a white silk shirt on top. He led them to the lift and soon they were in an office seated on sofas.

Rahim  said “Now we can talk. The protective electronic devices have all been activated.” He laughed and added “Despite all vigilance, there’re unreasonable allegations of leaks. I want to assure you our talk can’t be overheard.”

Thais said “I’m Thais Dugal who has retained you for investigation. And this is Xenia my friend who works with my husband Dugal.”

Rahim shook their hands saying “Glad to meet you. I’ve gone through the information you had sent me.”

Thais asked “Any news about Dugal?

“We found out that Prof Dugal and researcher Natasha were in Lydgate till yesterday. Then----“

Thais interrupted asking “Were they booked in the same room?

“No. They had separate rooms.”

Xenia asked “What about visitors?

Rahim pulled out a folder, looked into it and said “Only a professor from the institute of technology came to see Dugal. It seemed like a courtesy call and lasted about 15 minutes. Dugal and Natasha vanished suddenly yesterday. We’re trying to find out where they have gone.” There was a buzz and he said “I’m wanted. Perhaps some information has come. I’ll find out. Meantime please have some refreshments.”

As Rahim went out, a food cart was wheeled in by a white sari clad female wearing an apron and toque blanche.  Xenia said “Nothing for me.”

Thais said “I’ll have a cup of tea. Nothing else.” As Thais started sipping the tea, Rahim returned and he was also served tea. After the food cart was wheeled out and the room’s door was closed, Rahim said “We got a tip off. Dugal and Natasha have probably gone to the Andaman islands. This information is yet to be confirmed.”

Thais and Xenia looked at each other puzzled as to the reason for the trip of the duo to the Andamans.

Rahim looked into the folder again and said “All we know about Dugal is that he heads a software firm and that Natasha works with him. This case involves getting information on the doings of the other woman Natasha. I’ll get my videographer to be ready when the necessity arises.”

Thais nodded and said “Continue the watch. I await more information from you.”

Thais and Xenia got back to the Lydgate and were seated in their room. Thais said “Xenia, my thoughts are always on Natasha who is so good looking and of Dugal moving so closely with her. I had warned him but he said there was nothing for me to worry about.” She sighed and said “You aren’t married. How can you know how the wife feels about the husband moving with a -------“

Xenia said “I can only repeat what I’ve been telling you:  After working with him 3 years, I know Dugal isn’t a womaniser. And Natasha is a simple Punjabi girl whom I’ve known also for 3 years and she isn’t a seducing type. She is academically brilliant. Of course we know she is closest to Dugal as he is guiding her research in something he’s very interested in, some project called Galeon 3. But you’re not convinced and are bent on chasing them on suspicion.”

“What you say is true. I have never bothered to find out anything from Dugal except about Natasha. I’m glad you’ve come with me when I requested you as you’ve been close to me. Having started, let’s keep chasing them. Who knows, the situation between them could change.”

Xenia asked “Shall we now go shopping? It will keep your mind off worries.”

Thais nodded and the two shopped till it was time for lunch. Thais said “Let’s get back and eat. Lydgate food is good.”

They went back and took a nap after lunch. Later there was a call from Rahim. He said “Dugal located! He is in a hotel in Port Blair, Andamans. Of course Natasha is with him. The hotel is named ‘Fortune Resort’. I’ve asked one of our subsidiaries to keep a watch on him.”

“Thank you.” She cut the call and said “Xenia let’s book in the same hotel in Andamans.”

Late that night they got a message confirming flight and hotel booking. The next day they landed at Port Blair around noon and were in the FR hotel soon after. They looked for Dugal and were told he had gone elsewhere but would return the same night.

Thais asked the staff anxiously “Did Dugal and Natasha occupy the same room?”

“No. They had separate rooms.”

Thais and Xenia spent time looking around the place and buying some trinkets. The same night as they were seated in the lobby, they saw Dugal and Natasha coming into the hotel. He was carrying a bag while she had only a purse. Dugal was a tall handsome man with a large moustache and was dressed in jeans and a highly coloured shirt over it. Natasha was also in jeans with a flowered jacket on top.. But what was striking about her was her beauty particularly her Grecian nose. Thais saw Dugal allowing Natasha to take her keys first and go to her room.  She then saw Dugal talking to the receptionist. Indifferent to the surroundings, Thais drew close and shouted “Dugal, do you still remember me, your wife?”

He was surprised and turning to her said “Thais you’re embarrassing me! Hello! And we have Xenia also here! Natasha and I went to Ross Island. I’ll tell you all about it. What brings you here?”

Thais said “I’ll also tell you about our trip. Join us for dinner.”

“Let Natasha also come. I’ll get her.”

An expression of instant disapproval came on Thais’ face, but Dugal ignored it. Thais said with disgust “We’ll wait for you in the dining hall.” After almost 20 minutes Dugal in the same dress he came in from Ross Island. entered the dining hall with Natasha who looked ravishing in a flowered green salwar suit with her abundant  hair in a ponytail . Natasha greeted Thais and Xenia, and Thais was forced to return the greeting.

 Dinner took almost 45 minutes when the hall emptied. Dugal then said “Thais, there’s something I should share with you and Xenia. In the course of her work Natasha got signals from planet Galeon 3 saying that people there were living up to 200 years. This was attributed to certain water on the planet. Natasha had asked for a water sample, and a friendly someone from there had said that a sample would be sent in a space ship which would land on Ross, one of the Andaman islands. We were due to meet that space ship.”

Thais said “You’re bluffing! You told me you were going to Chennai and would be back in a couple of days.”

Dugal said “Natasha, please set the record straight.”

Natasha said “I had told the professor that communication from that planet gets frequently interrupted or comes in discontinuous spurts. When I got the first message, the space ship was to land in a remote beach in Chennai’s environs. We were both anxious to rendezvous with it and rushed to Chennai. That landing had been immediately changed to Ross Island in the Andamans but there was delay in our receiving that message. We rushed to Andamans. Even there-----“ She stopped and said “ Professor, may I request you to continue?”

Dugal continued “When we reached Ross Island we got the message that the space ship had landed earlier than anticipated. Natasha was informed that the water sample in a container had been delivered to the owner of CORALS & SHELLS – a shop on the beach – who was holding it for us. We went to the shop and its owner gave us the container but couldn’t remember who had delivered it. It is on the table in my room. I haven’t opened it yet. Come with me and see it. I’ll arrange to get the water analysed.”

The three went with Dugal towards his room. It was then that they saw a hotel’s janitor coming out of the room. The man seeing Dugal said on his way “Sir, I just cleaned your room. When I saw the new water container on the table I opened it and saw the water in it looked unfit for drinking. I emptied it, cleaned it thoroughly and have filled it with fresh drinking water.”  

Looking at the shocked faces around, Dugal sighed and said “I should’ve locked the container in the cupboard before leaving for dinner. Natasha, I hope you’ll get one more opportunity to contact Galeon 3 for yet another water sample .”

Natasha said “Professor, I’m sure I will with your encouragement and good wishes.”

Thais’ chase had ended and all of them decided to return to their habitations earliest. Thais made a mental note that she shouldn’t forget closing the case with Rahim. She whispered to Xenia  “I’ve decided that Dugal and I will come again sometime to Andamans on a sort of second honeymoon.” Xenia was happy that Thais’ suspicions about Dugal and Natasha had been unfounded, and their marital harmony had been reinforced! Within herself  Xenia recalled the lines ‘It is not the quarry but the chase/It is not the trophy but the race’. Had she and Thais not relished the chase!

END

July 15, 2020 16:06

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.