Death is a Strange Thing

Submitted into Contest #91 in response to: Set your story in a library, after hours.... view prompt

14 comments

Sad Drama

Valentina

¨ Ok, so what are we going to do with it?¨

I ask because I seriously have no idea what we are going to do with a dead body.

¨ And why did we have to meet in a library? In the middle of the night no less.¨

¨ Because we have no where else to go. Unless you have any other ideas?¨

That shuts me up because I really don't have any idea how to get rid of a human body. I stare a his lifeless body for what seems like the millionth time. He is dead. Like, really dead. I avert my eyes before I have the chance to pass out.

¨ Are you ok Val?¨

I nod, not daring to speak because if I do, I know he will be able to hear the fear in my voice. How did we get here? My hands start to shake, showing my fear. Declan grabs them, trying to calm me. But how can he calm me when I just killed a man? I mean, I suppose it was not my fault since he was trying to kill Declan. But still, I don't like the idea of having killed someone. Especially with the blood on my hands never letting me for a second forget about the events that took place tonight.

¨ Thank you Val. For saving me. I know it was a really hard decision for you to make, killing him.¨

You have no idea Declan.

¨ Well, I couldn't just stand there and let that man kill you.¨

He lifts my chin up so I can meet his eyes.

¨ Val, killing someone is not easy. Even if you were trying to save me. It´ s just not easy.¨ He pulls me into a really needed hug, and then I burst into tears, wet, burning tears.

¨ What are we going to do with...¨

¨ Follow me.¨

He grabs the body-gloves on his hands- and leads me into a secret passage way I didn't know libraries had. He lays down the body and looks back at me, expectant. But what am I to say? This is the worst night of my life. I just want to go home, lay on my bed, and sleep, forgetting everything about tonight. Instead, I settle for sitting down. Declan comes to sit beside me and he takes his gloves off and holds my hands.

¨ So, are we just going to leave his body here? To rot in a secret passageway in a library

¨ Yes.¨

Is all he says.

¨ Ok.¨

It comes out in a whisper, but I am sure Declan must have heard me since we are sitting in a noiseless library, no one around but us, and the man I just killed. I stand up, leaving, Declan following close behind. I try to open the door, but it won't budge. Panic replaces any other feeling I had.

¨ It´ s locked.¨

¨ What!?¨

¨ The door, it´ s locked.¨

He curses under his breath.

¨ Declan, I can't stand next to his body any longer-I ¨

¨ I know, just let me-¨

My legs can't hold me up any longer and I fall. Declan rushes over to me, but I can't breathe.

¨ Val, breathe, breathe, it´ s going to be ok. You hear me? It´ ll be ok.¨

But it won't. Nothing is ok anymore. My vision blurs, I ´ m choking.

¨ Val! Val, look at me. Look at me. Val please!¨

But I can't hear anymore. I can't. I just ca-

I am so sorry Declan.

Darkness.


Declan

She stopped breathing. She just stopped.

Once I make sure she ´ s dead, I open the door. Outside, I meet my boss.

¨ She ´ s dead.¨

I say, not meeting his eyes.

¨ You did good son.¨

¨ Val was my best friend since 6th grade.¨

¨ I know son, but it had to be done.¨

I didn't kill her. I didn't want her dead, in fact I was going to save her. But, she had a panic attack and died. She killed a man for me, even though I was not who he was going to kill. I knew she was going to die but it didn't stop me from loving her. I should have saved her when I had the chance. Too late now.

¨ I ´ m going home.¨

¨ Wait, here ´ s your pay son.¨

¨ I don't want your dirty money.¨

At that, I walk away. I go to sleep that night-or at least try. I got in a good hour, better than I thought. It did however give me enough time to think about what to do. And think, I did. I creep into my dad ´ s room and pull out my knife. I stab him in the heart before I can think otherwise.

¨ It´ s your fault she ´ s dead, and now it´ s you who has to pay.¨

My father stares up at me wide-eyed. But I don't have anymore love for him. I haven't for a while. This is what had to be done. I can't just keep killing people for him, for his pleasure. I leave, not knowing what to do next. I don ´ t have Val anymore, so who am I to go to? I stare up at the sky, hoping for some answers. I decide to go to my mom´ s. I haven't seen her for five years, ever since dad took me away. I knock on her door, hoping that she still lives here. It is a man who opens the door and immediate sadness takes over me.

¨ Sorry, wrong house.¨

I say, but as I turn to leave I hear a women ´ s voice call out to me.

¨ Declan?¨

I turn and see my mother standing in the doorway. I run into her arms, and I don't even care that her wet tears are falling onto my face.

¨ Oh sweetie I missed you so much. Are you ok?¨

She breaks out of the hug, backing up to look at me.

¨ No.¨

I say, because I ´ m really not and I could use her support.

¨ Come inside.¨

She says, and at that moment I knew that this is my home.

And I walk inside.

April 28, 2021 22:13

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

14 comments

05:39 May 04, 2021

The story was absolutely amazing. I do have one question which is How did the 2 characters meet this man? You can maybe give more background information on this man. The plot twist was amazing and to have 2 plot twists was a very good move.

Reply

Kylee Haverty
10:43 May 04, 2021

Thank you so much for your feedback! Which man are you talking about? The boss or the man that Valentina killed? The boss is Declan´s dad so that´s how they knew each other. And in that night Declan was walking Val home. But a man chased them with a knife and tried to kill Valentina. They didn´t know this man, for he came out of nowhere, and Valentina thought he was trying to kill Declan so Val pulled out her gun and shot the man. That man worked for Declan´s father and Declan knew that his father was trying to kill Valentina and didn´t sto...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kanika G
12:30 May 01, 2021

Loved the idea of having to dispose of a body in a library after hours! A great hook at the beginning. I enjoyed reading reading story, Kylee. Well done!

Reply

Kylee Haverty
15:30 May 01, 2021

Awww thank you so much, I am so glad you liked it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Part 12 of the Adapters is out!!!!!! GO CHECK IT OUT (please read previous parts first)

Reply

Kylee Haverty
18:43 Apr 29, 2021

I READ THEM ALL THEY ARE AMAZING! I just read 12, and I was like ¨NO WAY!¨

Reply

Kylee Haverty
02:41 Apr 30, 2021

OMG I JUST SAW! Awwww you are so sweet, thank you so much! I will promote your stories!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

also Kylee im so so sorry but all amator parts are taken- you can choose to be a neutral or an Imperium

Reply

Kylee Haverty
19:24 Apr 29, 2021

What are those?

Reply

Imperium are the bad guys, Neutrals are those that are on neither side, works with good to bad side depending on interest really

Reply

Kylee Haverty
20:28 Apr 29, 2021

Ok then just surprise me! Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.