Beauty Is Not Always in the Eye of the Beholder

Submitted into Contest #60 in response to: Write a post-apocalyptic thriller.... view prompt

0 comments

Thriller Science Fiction Mystery

The Pledge of the People to The Great Healer:

On this day, the 8th of November, we mourn the losses of the Irreparable Despair,

We remember the days of old and the time before now,

We realize our faults, beg forgiveness for the past, and look forward to the new.

We praise the Great Healer and all Her works. 

She is our great provider; the one true savior.

The books say the world wasn’t always like this. They say that it once was cruel and dark and full of anger and hatred. I am glad I never had to live in that world. I don’t know how anyone survived that. Well, I suppose they almost didn’t. If it weren’t for her excellence, the woman we all know as The Great Healer, the world would have ended a long time ago. She truly is our great savior. I remember the first time I read the story of how she saved the world from the event once called the “Irreparable Despair.” Thanks to The Healer, we now look at that event as “The Time Before Now.” We give thanks every day for this beautiful world she has created for us. This utopia is more than we could have ever asked for, and every day we thank the great healer for all our blessings. For her works, every day we recite the Pledge of the People to The Great Healer.

In the days leading up to the time before now, humans were cruel. Some say the time before now was caused by an angry god reigning fire down upon the oppressors. Others say it was the result of pollution and its disastrous effects on the planet. Some say it was a government conspiracy, and others say it was a natural culling. Everyone seems to have a different opinion on what caused the onced irreparable despair. But we all agree it was The Great Healer who cured what everyone once thought was incurable. 

As I have been given this great honor to commemorate the history books with my own telling of events from my personal perspective, I must recount the oral histories given to me by my own parents. My mother became pregnant with me during the “Irreparable Despair.” She wanted to be excited to have a child, but she was also terrified. A plague was upon mankind. This was the irreparable despair. There was no cure in sight, and the end of the human race drew near. Anyone that came in contact with the disease was surely dead within three months. However, it was not the certain death that was horrifying. Instead, it was all of its terrifyingly brutal symptoms. Anyone who contracted the disease knew it as soon as they urinated pure blood. Perhaps some women thought they were menstruating at first. Others hoped they had only contracted a urinary tract infection. But the disease was very painful. It quickly spread throughout the entire body and felt like trillions of tiny, rusty knives jabbing the body internally and externally. It was like being stabbed and burned and skinned alive all simultaneously. At least, that is how my parents described it. 

My parents were very careful to not contract the disease for as long as possible, especially since my mother was with child. However, my parents were not wealthy people. In fact, they were quite the opposite. My father had to frequently leave the house to find food. They did not have to worry so much about paying the bills as the landlord was dead due to the decimation of the world’s population. Unfortunately, the disease proved to be incredibly infectious, and we were all exposed as a result of consuming contaminated water. 

My parents waited to die as they knew they surely would. But then a miracle happened. The Great Healer discovered a cure. She quickly provided a cure to every single person on the planet. The remaining survivors of the human race were cured. Everyone honestly and truly believed they were going to die. If I had been a conscious human being and not a fetus, I would have believed my fate was nothing more than being dead the moment I was born. I guess that is why we are all so grateful now. Every single person alive knows to some extent how it feels to be so close to almost dying. I realize how lucky I am as I never had to experience such a horrible illness. I never had to feel the pains of being stabbed and burned and skinned alive. I owe my entire existence to the Great Healer. That is why I am proclaiming my loyalty, professing my faith, and immortalizing her honor by writing down the oral histories I have received. I have been collecting data and listening to the stories of survivors from all over the world. All of the people have expressed their gratitude and how proud they are to recite The Pledge of the People to the Great Healer on a daily basis. I have heard so many stories. One woman said she was on the verge of death. She looked upon the faces of her children as they lay dying beside her. They believed it was the end of times. Then they heard the great news. They received treatment from the Great Healer, Herself. They were blessed. Every story I have heard professes Her greatness. That is why I am so thankful for this opportunity. 

I have not yet recounted the one and only side effect of the cure. Before the current period, The Time of Now, everyone had eyesight. Now, I am currently the only person alive who has the ability to see. My mother and father always tell me how lucky I am, but honestly I am not not so sure. Every person I talk to… they all describe the world to be in such great detail. They all have a passion for life. It seems all of their other senses have been incredibly heightened. When they describe taste to me, it is as though everything they eat is the most amazing thing they have ever eaten. When anyone describes the sensation of touch, it is as if they have never felt anything more wonderful. The scent of flowers is the most beguiling aroma to have ever existed. I have never known such extrasensory perceptions. I suppose I am lucky for having somehow retained my eyesight, but I sometimes envy those around me for feeling such high and emotional feelings. But I must say, we are all lucky for being alive. There were many who were not so lucky. 

I am excited to be writing this historical account. I am sending my historical briefing titled The Incredible Accounts of the Survivors and The Great Healer’s Benevolence. It is a long title, but I think it is important for anyone and everyone to appreciate the great details recorded in accordance with firsthand accounts. I also understand it is of the utmost importance to constantly give thanks to The Great Healer for saving the world. I cannot wait to send The Great Healer my book, as I am sure she will be extremely excited to discover there is one person in the world who has not become blind. I have heard rumors that The Great Healer is also with sight, but she is very reclusive so not much is known about her. I hope she likes my historical accounts, and I think I might die of ecstasy if she maybe even wants to meet me. To be honest, that has always been my lifelong dream. She has always been my hero, and I desire nothing more than to just meet her eyes with my own. 

Yesterday I received a mysterious letter in the mail. It was addressed to me and I have yet to open it. I suppose now is as good a time as any. 

Oh my Holy Great Healer! It’s the personal diary  entries of the Great Healer Herself! Did she send these to me? Does she know about me? Does she want to meet me? I think my heart just skipped a beat! Okay, this is what they read:

The world was once so horribly cold and cruel. I often wonder why I saved a world that cast me away and beat me down so badly. I guess all I’ve ever really wanted was acceptance. Well, now I have it. I have everything I’ve ever wanted. I am not a god. I am THE God. They worship me. I wonder how they’d feel if they knew I was the one that created the disease in the first place. Would they hate me? Or would they thank me for this new, beautiful world I’ve created for them. They’d probably hate me. Humans have always been horribly fickle. I remember the time before now. People were only kind to me for the brief moment they needed something from me, but as soon as they got what they wanted, they immediately beat me down, spit in my face, and called me ugly. I suppose I was ugly to anyone with eyes. I was never a beauty queen. I remember when little children would scream and cry to their mommies, pointing at me in disgust. “Why is there a monster here, mommy?” They’d cry. I remember I was kicked out of a restaurant once for scaring a group of wealthy businessmen. They all hated my guts. I was hideous. I was a monster. No one loved me, and all disdained me. But oh, how they all love me now. 

Yes, I have saved the world from the terrible disease I created. But I really saved them from themselves. They were all judgemental assholes that only saw the beauty in life by means of what they could see with their eyes. Now, they appreciate the beauty in life. Now they know what it’s like to fall in love without letting what’s skin deep judge that perception. Now they can experience the sensations of life they would have never known if I had never shown it to them. Now they can feel what their lovers deeply and  truly feel like, without judging them based on appearances. Now they truly know love. I am a true hero. I saved the world. I saved every single human being from their own devices. I cured them! They were actually blind in the time before now! Not now! Now they can truly see! Look at them! They’re happier than ever!. We live in this Utopia! I gave that to them! I am the great provider; the people’s one true savior! I am the Great Healer!

September 26, 2020 02:43

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.