2 comments

Drama Friendship Fiction

Anna’s eyes fluttered as she lay cradled in Trent’s arms. “I‘m cold… Is it cold?”

Trent pulled off his jacket and tucked it around her. The wrecked car lay on its side. Smoke drifted.

“Hang on, Anna. We’ll get through this.”

“I’m sorry.”

“No, I’m sorry. You saved my life… you took a bullet meant for me.”

“Guess I learned. I’ll never do that again… ” She tried to smile.

“Quiet now. Save your strength…”

“I… I’m fading Trent... I need to say… I think this is…”

“Cut!”

The actors, Edge and Sedona, looked around.

“What happened?”

“Hold your places, people! Reloading camera.”

The director, Charlie, muttered to the cameraman who nodded. He approached the actors and crouched. “We’re losing our light, guys. Can you step it up? I know it’s an emotional scene…”

“I’m dying, Charlie.”

“Right. But the sun is setting and I want to get the coverage before we lose light. This is your close up, Sedona. Make it good, but goose it. No need to milk it. Let the editors earn their keep.”

Not waiting for her answer, he turned away. The make-up girl brushed Sedona’s face. She looked at Edge, who said, “Let’s do it.”

Someone yelled, “More smoke!”

Charlie turned to the sound guy, Jake. “You good?”

Jake nodded, “Solid. Ready when you are.”

“Losing light, folks! Let’s get this and go home!” The camera man nodded to Charlie. “Places! Rolling!”

Jake gave Sedona a thumbs up. The assistant reached into frame with the clap board and announced the take.

Charlie yelled, “Action!”

Sedona began the scene once more. When she said, “…I think I’m fading…” her cell phone chirped.

“Cut! Cut! Cut!” Charlie roared, “What the hell was that?”

Sedona found her phone. “I’m sorry. I swear I turned it off. My plane is waiting.”

Charlie looked like his head would explode. “Give it to me.” She handed her phone over. He turned to his assistant. “Throw this in the river.”

“We’re in the desert, Charlie.”

“I don’t care! Get rid of it.” He leaned close to her face. “Your plane will wait. You’re not leaving ‘til we get this shot.” She nodded. “Listen up, everybody. Next person whose phone so much as farts, will be taken out and shot. Rolling?”

The make-up girl dove out of the frame.

“More smoke!”

“Rolling?” The camera man leaned over to Charlie, who punched the air with a profanity. “Take five, everybody. We lost our light.”

The camera man signaled to the lighting crew who immediately began carrying lights and other equipment on set to recreate the lost sunlight. The rest of the crew rushed to their trailers, the craft services table or milled about.

Sedona sat up. Make-up came in for a touch up.

Edge rolled free and made a show of doing sit-ups. Jake, the sound recordist stepped into his field of view.

“Can I have a word about what Charlie said?”

Edge eased back. “Yeah?”

“He thinks she’s stalling. But she’s not. It’s her close up. Save the emoting for when you’re on camera. Just give her the line, Ed.”

Edge sprung to his feet and got in Jake’s face. Jake took a step back but didn’t gain space.

“It’s Edge, old man. Not Ed. Edge Razor, you idiot. Can’t your pickled brain remember a simple name? Who ever heard of you? This is my show. You’re fired. Get off my set. You’ll never work again.”

Jake laughed. Edge stormed off to find Charlie.

Sedona said, “Wow!”

Jake laughed again, “I lost count of the times some punk told me I’ll never work in this town. I think I’m losing it if I don’t hear it at least once per show.”

That got her laughing. “Do you have a phone I could borrow? Mine seems to have disappeared. Think I have time to make a quick call?”

He offered her his cell phone.

“Thanks!”

The camera assistant held a light meter by her face. The cameraman signaled to a grip to adjust the light.

She dialed and held it to her ear.  “Stacy! Checking in. Running late but will see you soon… Yeah, you know… Like I told you… same old… Tonight, if at all possible. Hugs!” She handed the phone back. “Thanks so much, Jake.”

“Who was that?”

“My sister…”

“I bet she’s beautiful.”

“We’re twins…”

“So, I win the bet.”

Sedona laughed. “And thanks for the back-up…”

Jake mimicked a cat’s claw. “Meow!”

The assistant director yelled and blew a whistle. The crew returned. Someone yelled for more smoke.

A sullen Edge retook his position on the ground and Sedona settled into him.

Everyone did their part in the ritual litany before each take. Charlie yelled, “Action!”

Sedona’s eyes fluttered as she lay cradled in Edge’s arms. “I’m cold… Is it cold?”

Edge placed his jacket over her.

“Hang on, Anna. We’ll get through this.”

“I’m sorry.”

Charlie yelled, “Cut! What’s that noise?”

Someone said, “Coyotes.”

“Damn! Take them out or we’ll never get this.”

Sedona said, “Don’t hurt them…” Several production assistants ran into the brush toward the sound. “It almost sounds like babies crying. Kinda cute. I thought they howled.”

Jake said, “Wolves howl. Coyotes yip.”

Edge snickered, “That’s your audience if we don’t get this take.”

Almost to himself, Jake said, “Once did pick-up lines in a swamp, for a Christmas picture about people trapped in a blizzard. You think this is noisy? Try recording with a million frogs singing the Hallelujah Chorus in the background. We made it work.”

Edge retorted, “Next, we’ll have snakes cackling.”

Sedona said, “Snakes don’t cackle.”

“Whatever. You prefer hissing?”

The coyotes went silent without violence. The assistant director blew his whistle. Make-up touched her up. More smoke. The litany and pre-take ritual repeated.

Charlie yelled, “Action!”

Sedona’s eyes fluttered as she lay cradled in Edge’s arms. “I’m cold… Is it cold?”

Edge laughed.

“Cut! What now?”

The cameraman said, “Moth. A moth landed on Sedona’s forehead.”

Charlie muttered. He addressed Edge, “We could have fixed it in post. But we need a complete take. Edge, please don’t laugh while the woman who saved your life dies in your arms…”

“The audience will wonder what happened to her sweater.”

“She’s not wearing a sweater.”

“I know, the moth ate it.”

A few of the crew guffawed.

Charlie paused. “Anyone getting paid to do a job? Let’s get this, people. I’m hungry…”

Sedona looked at Jake. “I’m dying here and they’re yoking it up like a bunch of amateurs.

Edge gave her a look but bit his tongue. The cameraman requested a moment to check the camera. A flurry of activity. Another call for smoke.

She continued, “You always had my back, Jake. Made me look good. Or well, sound good. Thanks.

“You’ll break their hearts. The suits are drooling over this show. You’ll knock ‘em dead.”

She looked around. “If I survive this… “

Jake smiled, “Almost home. This is your first show. You’ll be around.”

“I hope we can work together again. Good to have people you can trust.”

“I’m always busy. Our paths will cross again.”

“Once Charlie yells ‘cut,’ I’m out of here. So I wanted to say ‘thanks.’ And ‘good-bye.’”

Charlie called for silence and the litany followed.

“From ‘Guess I learned…’ Action!”

Sedona paused. “Guess I learned. I’ll never do that again… ” She tried a smile but winced.

“Quiet now. Save your strength…”

“I’m fading, Trent. I need to say… I think this is… I mean…” Her body convulsed. She looked up but her eyes were unfocused. “…Good-bye.” She sighed deeply and went limp in his arms.

Edge held her tightly.

Charlie said, “Aaaand cut! Print! That’s a wrap. New location tomorrow. Check your call sheets.”

Sedona stood and straightened her skirt. A smattering of applause came from the crew not too busy with striking the set. The make-up girl hugged her.

She turned and saw Jake smile at her with a thumbs up gesture. She looked for her driver. He raised his hand from the lot and she ran toward the waiting car.

Edge stood by the craft services table. He raised his Styrofoam cup in a casual salute. A few others waved.

Then she was gone.

April 14, 2021 22:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

05:10 Apr 19, 2021

This was such a great story!! I loved it!!! The start really caught me, I got so sad I thought someone was dying! But this was so incredible. It was a rollercoaster of emotions, you have such a great writing style. Keep up the great work!!

Reply

John K Adams
03:21 Apr 20, 2021

Thanks so much. I hoped I was able to bring the cognitive dissonance of a movie set somewhat to life.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.