1 comment

Romance

Heartbreak. It’s something we all feel, but we never expect. You can be having the best day of your life and then, tragedy strikes. You would expect a friend, a significant other, or even death to break your heart, but I never expected my own mother to betray me in the way she did. We were best friends and even though I was in love with someone, she was still my soulmate. At least I thought she was.

I’ve always loved the sound of wedding bells, it means someone is getting happily married, living a life together and enjoying each other's company. That all changed on July 7th, 2014... My wedding day. I was so excited to become a beautiful bride. I even got to be thebride of a dashingly handsome man named Cullen. He was smart, tall, strong, and a bit older, he was the full package. My family all instantly loved him, all except my mother. My mother told me several times to stop seeing him because it “wasn’t right”, I never understood what she meant until my wedding day.

I have always dreamed of my wedding being big and lively, so I had to look perfect. I mentioned before my mom was my best friend, I had no else because my dad had died, so she was my everything. You would guess I had my mother right by my side for the whole prep and she was, until about 30 minutes before I had to walk down the aisle. My mother was all glammed up in a red dress that showed her curves, along with her long black hair curled to perfection, and bright red lips with a smile on her face, showing her gleaming white teeth. She simply said she was going to check on the men a few rooms down, so I sighed and let her leave. 10 minutes passes, she hasn’t come back. I think to myself that she might be helping them with their suits, but something urged me to walk out that door in my humongous wedding gown covered in lace flowers and glitter that cost me a fortune, to  see where she was, my pink peony flowers in hand.

As my chunky white heels clopped down the hallway sounding as though a thousand horses were trotting down a trail I heard a glass fall in the makeup room, yet I ignored it thinking it was simply one of my bridesmaids freshening up their makeup. I walked to the men's room with a smile on my face and knocked on the door. The best man opens the door and asks what I'm doing here. I explain to him my search for my mother and he tells me she quickly went to help my fiance cover a pimple in the makeup room. I remember hearing the glass fall and rush to the makeup room thinking someone may have gotten hurt, but instead I saw the most disgusting thing I have ever seen in my 26 years of living. My groom, Cullen and my mother were passionately kissing on the sofa, next to a broken glass of wine. You read that correct, they were half naked and passionately kissing, on my wedding day. My mother looked at me as she covered her nearly naked body. Her face went pale, she looked as if she had seen a ghost. My fiance was speechless and buttoning his shirt back up as he started to walk towards me and spoke extremely frantically.

 I ran out of the makeup room and ran into the female bathrooms, I then rushed into the handicap stall (my dress wouldn’t fit anywhere else) and cried, but I told myself they would both never get away with this. I told all of my bridesmaids and the groomsmen what happened and we all explained to the officiant what happened. Then, we all came up with a plan to expose them both.

As I had gotten ready to walk down the aisle my fiance walks up to me and attempts to explain. I just smile and tell him everything is okay and we will talk after the wedding, tears filling my eyes. Little did he know I had something else in mind, something completely and utterly humiliating. As the music begins, my mother is walking me down the aisle, acting as if nothing happened. She looks at me with a bit of worry on her face and I just smile at her, her worry fades. Once we reached my groom I began to explain everything to the audience, they were in awe. I watched his family stare at him and whisper. He was completely stunned. I gave my beautiful pink peony flowers that began to brown to my mother and told the officiant to begin the ceremony as I sat in my mother's chair with a big smile on my face. 

I watched them both sit there frozen, until the “I do’s” come. The officiant asks my fiance if he takes her to be her lawfully wedded wife and he says “I do.”, professing his love for her and exposing their secret affair. My eyes fill with tears as I watch my mom look him in his eyes and say “I do”. Everyone is taken back and the whispers turn to screaming sessions. I ran out of the ceremony with my bridesmaids, the groomsmen, and family following me. I cried and cried, and I decided that I would leave town and never look back. To everyone's surprise, I did leave town.

My mother and my once lover (and now step-father) are very happy together. They took the honeymoon to Hawaii I planned, the brand new house I bought, and even the Toyota Corolla I bought, for me! They took it all. I however, left the state and moved to California. I met a man there named Lincoln, my real soulmate. Our wedding is in 20 minutes. You’ll never guess who showed up uninvited. I began to hear distant wedding bells, realizing they were actually warning bells I’ve been hearing.



July 29, 2020 02:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Keerththan 😀
09:06 Aug 10, 2020

Nice story. Well written first story. One small advice, do not put your age in your author bio. Authors who are above the age of 18 are supposed to write in this blog. I don’t want you to get kicked out from this blog. Thank you. Keep writing. Waiting for more of yours..... Would you mind reading my stories too?

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.