A Tuscan Tale

Submitted into Contest #138 in response to: End your story with someone saying: “What a day.”... view prompt

0 comments

Romance Holiday

His shadow moved over her, while drops of cool water fell from his body onto her warm skin. Was her skin hot from the sun beating down on her, or because of his proximity? Probably both she decided with a lazy smile. She could not be happier right here, right now, in this glorious sun-drenched moment.

Things had been rocky between her and Matthew in the weeks leading up to this holiday. If she was honest with herself, things had been rocky for some time now. Nostalgic thoughts would wash over her unexpectedly and she often wished they could return to the carefree, happy, and easy days of their early relationship. The “wonder years” as she fondly called them.

Those first years had been filled with fun and romance. The centre of each other’s worlds, the cog in each other’s wheels. The stereotypical start of any relationship, of course, but that did not stop them from feeling that they were the perfect couple – that no truer love had ever existed. 

How young and naïve they had been.

Life, however, tends to come between even the truest of lovers. Love can survive, she thought sadly, but romance not. 

Over the last few years, romance had been replaced by routine, fun by functional, and excitement by the everyday.

After a particularly chilly winter - and period in their relationship - she had planned this idyllic breakaway as a desperate attempt to rediscover the wonder of their past, usher it back into their present, and carry it forward together, into their future. To hopefully, reconnect with the dreams they had once worked towards with so much motivation, energy, and focus.

And, so far, she was indeed having the most glorious time here!

Tuscany was everything she had ever dreamed it would be. The descriptions in the holiday brochure were unbelievably transformed into reality. The splendour of the rolling hills was perfectly enhanced by the dark green shadows of the vineyards and the rustic nobility of the wineries. The azure sky scattered with soft marshmallow clouds rivalled the most picturesque paintings she had ever seen.

She had scoffed at the ridiculous descriptions (how jaded had she become?) but now they literally took her breath away.

The intoxicating beauty (and the fabulous Pinot Grigio) made her giggle out loud.

Lying on the pool deck overlooking this magnificence, she again wondered if she ever wanted to go back home. Back to reality - to the monotony of routine, and the dreadful tedium.

 She glanced up from under her pretty sun hat with the sunshine-yellow ribbon that Matthew had surprised her with and smiled slowly. He was looking down at her, and more refreshing drips tantalized her skin. This was not at all what she had planned – but she could not deny that she was enjoying this particular view right now.

“Can I get you another drink, Daniella?”

The way her name rolled in sexy waves off his tongue caused quivering sensations in her belly. 

Matteo smiled down at her and she was sure she was not imagining that sultry twinkle in his eye. 

She looked around for Matthew, but he was nowhere to be seen…

Feeling reckless and carefree she said, in what she hoped was her most seductive tone:

“A glass of your crispest, most refreshing, white wine please.” 

Immediately she felt foolish. She had been playing this little game since they had arrived at Matteo’s family vineyard, and she was sure she was not the first tourist that he had flirted with.

She was also confident, that she was not the first slightly bored and unfulfilled traveller to flirt back. 

Still, Dani could not help herself imagining her life here in Tuscany. Her mind drifted again as she gazed at the vista before her, and she pictured herself and Matteo driving through the Tuscan countryside, stopping at little gems of villages along the way. 

Lucca with its historic city centre and cobblestone streets, and the birthplace of the great opera composer Puccini, for a morning espresso.

A gelato in Siena looking onto its famous Piazza del Campo – and perhaps, if their timing was right, even watching the famed Palio horse race. 

Lunch in San Gimignano under the medieval 12th-century towers (San JUMINYANO as Matteo kept reminding her in that richly timbered voice of his). She could almost see that hilltop setting and unforgettable skyline. 

Finally, ending a perfect day, with a moonlit dinner on the Piazza del Duomo, sipping on crisp prosecco and gazing up at the magnificent Duomo di Firenze with its green and white gothic façade, in the heart of the romantic renaissance city of Florence.

That would only be the beginning.

Her vision broadened to include day trips to Pisa, and weekends at the Cinque Terra (the most romantic place in the world she thought dreamily) with each little town perfectly unique in its own historical charm. 

Perhaps, even, a little vineyard of their own where they would plant a few vines and produce some fabulous chianti.

Matteo brought her wine out and sat down next to her with his legs dipping into the cool water. He winked at her and sipped on his Bellini as she threw caution to the wind and rested her head on his shoulder.

Matteo turned to kiss her neck slowly, before slipping into the swimming pool. Her pulse quickened as his chest expanded with a deep breath, and he sank into the depths. 

She watched his shadow moving underwater for a full length, and then with a dazzling smile he swam slowly back, his eyes locked with hers the whole way. With mounting anticipation, she watched his powerful arms pulling him easily back towards her.

As he lifted himself out, dripping cool water onto her heated skin again, Matthew said in that sexy voice she had always found so appealing:

“Hey, Daniella,” (he always had called her by her full name), “I’ve been thinking about what to do tomorrow. How do you feel about a Tuscan tour taking us past Lucca, Siena, and San Gimignano.” (He always pronounced it perfectly!)

“Maybe dinner underneath the Duomo? We could even stay an extra couple of days in Florence before heading back.” he continued tentatively

Here he hesitated and reddened slightly.

“Um, I also found this amazing little hotel in Monterossa on Airbnb. I saw you looking at the Cinque Terre brochure yesterday and thought I would surprise with you a visit there this weekend?”

She turned to face him and looked at Matthew properly for the first time since they had arrived. 

For the first time in a long time, she thought with a shock.

He was looking at her with a hopeful expression in his eyes and she suddenly realised that he too had been feeling lost and confused. 

He was the face of her dreams and the only man she wanted to build a life with. She could see in his eyes that he still felt the same way too. 

The realisation that they were going to have the best summer holiday, ever, washed over her, and she knew that Matthew was the only person she wanted to share this romantic place with.

She shook her head and laughed as she realised that Matteo had been Matthew all along.

He kissed her neck softly again and finishing his Bellini in one long sip, he pulled her into the water with him, hugging her tightly. Together they gazed at the glorious view and she was overcome by a wave of excitement. 

Suddenly she knew that everything was going to be fine. More than fine. Perfect in fact. She could not wait to continue building on the dreams they had started together.

Tuscany truly had worked its magic.

“What a day!” she sang out contentedly - and there were even better ones to come.

March 24, 2022 07:01

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.