lies change lives

Submitted into Contest #88 in response to: Write a cautionary fable about someone who always lies.... view prompt

0 comments

Drama

“She did it!”

Lacey McFann, a 16-year old girl, that struggles with never telling the truth.

It’s Thursday, 12:34 A.M. Lacey is in a middle of a fight with her boyfriend.

“I didn’t cheat on you I swear!” She lied.

“Oh yeah then why did I see on Hannas story you were kissing my best friend!” He yelled.

“Listen, just think why, why would I ever do that to you. We’ve been together for four years! I love you!” She cried out faking her cry. “That could have been someone that looks like me!”

“Then why is that girl wearing the exact same shirt you had on yesterday, and the bracelet I gave you our first year dating that you’ve never took off!” He yelled with a stronger voice this time.

At this moment she knew there was no convincing him otherwise. He stormed away crying before she got the chance to say anything. She thought to herself, “If only he knew my side to the story of this. I hate Hanna.” Lacey stood there and pulled out her phone to text Jayden her boyfriend. And started it out like.

“Please you got to listen to me, yes I did kiss your best friend… but you have got to hear all of it. I got a anonymous email from someone saying if I didn’t get with your best friend their gonna post this one certain thing of me out all over the internet…”

Lacey paused to read it all through before she sent it and she thought, thought that maybe she shouldn’t send anything and just let it be, and that he probably blocked her. Lacey has been sitting still and in shock of all that just happened and can’t tell if she’s in a bad dream or not. 

But then she gets a message from Jayden saying, “Just in case it wasn’t clear a while ago even though it would be obvious, we’re done. I’m dropping off some of your stuff you gave me and you should return my stuff back to me. Don’t make a big deal out of this and just let it be. Okay. I’m gonna be there in twenty.”

Lacey breaks down crying her eyes out realizing non of this is a dream at all. This is reality And she’s gonna have to deal with it she thought to herself. She struggles to get up from crying, and she gets up and gathers all Jaydens stuff that she has that he’s gave her. Once she got it all boxed up she heard her doorbell ring, and she knew that he was there. She looked in the mirror and her eyes were still all red and puffy, but she simply just didn’t care anymore. She went outside and handed him his stuff and she snatched her stuff out of his hands. And he said,

“I know we’re not together now but we can still be friends, and are you okay?” He noticed she’s been crying by of her red puffy eyes and red little nose.

Lacey replied, “ No. I don’t want to be your friend or ever see you again. And I’m perfectly fine, I don’t need you.” She lied. 

She said it without hesitating and straight up. She looked at him, and they way he looked at her you could tell he was hurting, you could see the pain in his eyes and hear the pain in his voice when he said,

“Oh, okay. See you around Lacey Kane.”

Lacey watched him drive off in his car, and thought to herself,

“it’s better this way. He doesn’t deserve to be treated this way by anyone. Maybe I should of sent that text. Maybe I should really let things go his message and what he said is confusing me, does he want me to let it go or does he want to be friends now.”

This is where her bad habit of lying started.

It’s been months since their breakup. Lacey lost all her friends and became very depressed and suicidal, she’s been getting in lots of trouble and lying herself out of her problems that only made th8ngs worse for her, until.

“Okay everyone listen up please. Today we have a new student, his name is Christian. Now Christian go take a seat over there next to the girl in the back with brown hair, her name is Lacey, or the girl over there with blonde hair, her name is Macy.”

“Okay ma’am.” he replied.

Christian looked at both Lacey and Macy before decided choosing where he wanted to sit. Lacey wasn’t even paying attention or cared. Macy and her friends looked at Lacey when Christian looked at them and gave Lacey weird looks to try and let Christian get the hint that he shouldn’t sit with Lacey. Christian made his way over to Lacey and sat beside her, Macy and her friends looked shocked. He said to Lacey,

“Hey. My names Christian, let’s be friends!”

Without looking up at him Lacey said, “Nah I like being alone.” She lied.

But Christian didn’t take no for a answer so he sat there trying to start conversations that whole class period. And when the bell rang he said,

“See you later.” With a smile.

Lacey finally looked at him, he has light brown hair, freckles, and one of his eyes are blue and his other eye is a touch greener than the other.

Weeks in class has went by, Christian still trying to get her to be friends with him. After five weeks of him trying, finally Lacey says,

“Okay, okay, fine. We can be friends. Just don’t put me in any drama.”

He smiled and right before he said anything next period bell rang. When they had another class together he asked Lacey why she always wears hoodies or long sleeves because it’s summer pretty much. So she liked and said,

“I like staying warm, and hoodies are cozy.” She lied.

She didn’t know what else to say because she didn’t want to scare her only friend she has off, and she doesn’t really want people to know the stuff she’s been hiding on her arms for months.

“Okay if you say so, but we’re are going to hang out after school, and your not allowed to say no, meet me at the mall at 4:00, by the food court.”

Before Lacey could say anything he took off, she secretly hid a big smile.

Months and months have went by like it’s nothing since Christian walked into Laceys life, they knew each other the best, they were the closest to each other. Lacey opened up to him about why she’s actually been wearing hoodies, and talked about her personal life, and same with him. Lacey thought to herself,

“I would have never thought I’d be this lucky, I don’t ever want to lose him.” That was not a lie.

Lacey realized, lying wasn’t helping her at all, she was holding in all her emotions in a bottle letting it overflow. She now knows it’s better to be honest about stuff, it only left her in a bad spot, and once she started being honest, she’s never felt so good inside.

April 07, 2021 14:43

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.