0 comments

Inspirational Suspense Funny

Diane’s pager sounded a familiar pattern of beeps. That meant the conference center was clear and the Dynamic Duo cleaning team could work their magic. They had three hours this time before the next group would arrive so they would have to work swiftly.

Most of their income for the business came from Conference Center contracts. They would start with the kitchen and would finish up at the main hall. The conference that weekend had been made up of philanthropic word enthusiasts (generous word nerds in every day speak) and the conference was titled “Wonderful Weekend of Words that Make a Difference” so most of the cleanup would involve paper and ink pens. They had cleaned up after many types of conferences – from bake offs to OCD support meetings (there was precious little clean-up after those since most of it was done by the attendees of the conference).

Diane dusted and straightened while Dylan cleaned the floors and repositioned any furniture that had been moved. They were a good team and had been in business ten years that year. However, this contract was one they would never forget. 

There was always one or two copies of Richard Lederer’s Adventures of a Verbivore book after a conference such as this, but it was strange to find the book in the drawer with the coffee filters. There seemed to be an envelope inside the book as well. Diane slipped it into the front pocket of her apron to return it to the main office later and finished cleaning the kitchen. Dylan had emptied the trash and the two were going to meet by the main hall and finish the job together.

She found Dylan outside the center door facing her with his ear on the door panel. They heard a thud followed by a groan. A loud voice bellowed.

“Where is it? If you have tried to double cross us, you will be sorry!”

They weren’t alone! Dylan held his finger to his lips as a signal to be quiet and took out his phone that was always on silent. The telephone number for the police was programmed into his speed dial. He pressed the number and pressed the phone to the door so they could here all that was happening. He had already hit the Police emergency alarm bell on the reception desk. Dylan had a strong feeling that this would go poorly for them if they were spotted by the people inside the main hall.

“I swear! All the money was in the red envelope just like you said. You told me which book to leave it in and where to leave it. Honest! I did exactly as you asked.”

“The boss is not going to be pleased.”

From inside the main hall came the sound of tape ripping, then silence. Diane’s heart dropped into her stomach; she was that scared as she held up the book for Dylan to see.

Dylan for his part went white and his usually styled hair stood on end, but only momentarily. That had to come up with a plan of escape. Hopefully, the Police were on their way using the G P S technology set up on Dylan’s phone. All three of them (the victim in the hall and the cleaning crew) were in danger.

“We protected your son, now pay up, or else!”

“I swear, all the money I have is in that book. Maybe someone took it. The cleaners?”

Diane was already creeping back toward the kitchen when she felt a hand pressed hard against her throat.  She was dragged into the main hall to face the man with the bellowing voice. Thank goodness she had tossed the book to Dylan for safekeeping before beating a retreat. One burly man yanked her hair backward while the other bellowed in her face.

“Where is it?”

“Where’s what?” she replied.

“I know you heard us talking – the book, of course.”

Silence.

The man lost patience with her. 

“Okay, you are coming with us. Boss Hay will know how to get the information we need.”

Diane felt like she was going to pass out but did her best to be brave. Where was Dylan she wondered, hopefully safe and sound. She was dragged outside, picked up, put into the back of a black van. Then she heard the click of a lock.

After what seemed a long time, she heard:

“This is the Police. Put your hands behind you and remain still. Miss, we are going to get you out. I need you to move back as far as you can.”

“Okay” a shaky voice from inside the van replied.

The next thing Diane heard was a shot. Then bright lights greeted her as several police cars surrounded the vehicle.

“That was quick thinking son” Officer Hewitt said to Dylan. “If not for you, things would have been a lot worse for your partner and Mr. Wong in there (motioning to the hall).

As the terrified Mr. Wong left the building escorted by officers Dylan handed him the book with the envelope inside. A grateful Mr. Wong opened the envelope, took one stack of bills, handed it to Dylan, took another stack, and handed it to Diane.

“This money is yours to do with as you like. There is only one caveat. You must use it in ways that will benefit others and you must keep ten percent of this and any future money you receive with you always. You are both honorary members of the Philanthropic Society of Geneva. I was deeply concerned for the safety of my autistic son, so I sought protection for him. Unfortunately, it was the wrong kind of protection.”

Dylan replied.

“Your intentions were just and good. My brother will take care of your son – he runs the Thomas Security Agency here. I will pay for services till your boy is 18 and fend for himself. We will use the money as you requested and hold on to ten percent of this and all monies received in the future.

“Good” the man smiled as he responded. “Ninety percent is enough; the ten percent is more than enough.”

“We understand, thank you” although they didn’t fully realize the meaning then. With that, the Dynamic Duo headed inside the conference center to finish cleaning. Diane had a moment of inspiration and she shared it with Dylan.

“I know why we need to keep it. If we do, we’ll always have more than enough. Ingenious!”

“You know Diane, you are absolutely right, and it makes perfect sense.”

After cleaning they looked at the next scheduled conference and shook their heads. Ancient Weapons. “Oh no” they said in unison and laughed.

“Let’s hope they are very careful!”

“Right, but we will pick up some extra salt, baking soda, and vinegar – just in case. Let’s treat ourselves to Fish and chips for supper and hope we never run into those same people again.”

“Lead on.”

May 14, 2021 00:23

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.