4 comments

Sad Friendship Coming of Age

Authors note: this is a real story and I hope you like it!


Tears stream down my face. I was sobbing. My cousins looked at me crying a little as well. Ok, wait, do you know what’s happening? Well I bet you don’t. Let’s go back in time to June 8th, 2020. “Whahhh!” I was in a car full of lunatics. My brothers were hooting and hollering. I was silently listening to Moana music along with sketching a few pictures. I had prepared a fun talent show based on the Moana movie. However it was just the songs. We always do a talent show on vacation. 

   I’m Julia and I’m 11 years old. I’m a great planner and I love writing stories when I have time. “Julia, I want a drink.” “Julia, I wanna snack.” “Julia. Julia. Julia.” “Shut up!” We were finally at the beach house. I bounded out of the van and sealed the door shut. My suitcase was in my hands. I walked into the humongous house. It. Was. Gigantic! I went to explore the house. It was magnificent!

   I put my things down in the hallway and smiled at the sand from a giant window. Right then I knew this was going to be an amazing week. Now I know you're wondering,why I could be so sad when it’s such a wonderful place? Well I’m getting there. I grinned. I looked around a bit more and then went to the beach. Sand squeezed between my toes. I wanted to bury myself in it. I walked over to the water and the sand brushed off my feet. 

   I ran inside to the front door because I had heard a car pull up. I saw her come out and I emideately hugged her. I was hugging her so hard I thought she would burst. “Emma!” “Julia!” I stayed in her embrace. I knew I wouldn’t hug her again until the end of the week. How did I know that? She loved and I mean LOVED Lily. Lily was the newest cousin and Lily was only two. She pulled away from the hug and ran to go inside. She completely forgot about me and I was super upset. I sighed and followed.

   I ran after her and said, “Hey Emma, let’s go to the beach!” Now Zoey was next to me. I hugged her and I knew I would get at least twenty more delightful hugs from Zoey. Zoey is so gentle and she’s always thinking about me. Zoe is only six and Emma is fourteen. I gripped Zoeys hand and said, “Let’s go to the beach Zoey!” “Yeah!” She ran out of the house with me and we went to burst in the ocean waves. I followed. I never got to see my cousins. Only at Christmas and this year we got to see each other during the summer. I looked at my cousins and Emma came to join us. She was holding a big fat brat that had ruined my life. Emma had used to always love me. She would always hang out with me too. Now she gave all her attention to a two year old. Even Zoey hates this. I stomped inside and Zoey followed. We left Emma looking perplexed. I peeked inside are room. It looked just a bit small. But that's ok because it was just, me, Zoey and Emma. I unpacked my things and when I left Emma was still there. 

   A few days later, I explained to everyone who they were going to be and their costumes. I had everyone looking at me and they all left or tried to leave. That afternoon was more and more disappointing as the day went on. My cousin Caeden, was refusing while I heard Emma yelling that we should cancel the whole thing. She was mad at me and she was never mad. I felt my eyes tear up. I grew a lump in my throat. I ran to my room, Zoey laid at my side. I felt sad salty tears running down my face. I started to cry. I looked up and saw Emma. “No one wants to do it!” Her voice was angry and I flinched. I spoke and my voice sounded sad and lonely. “I planned this for two months Emma, I don’t think you know how I feel and how hard this is for me!” 

   My cousins came in slowly. Emma yelled at them while tears streamed faster down my cheeks. “Just stop ok!?” I had everyone looking at my miserable face. “Please, if you want to and only if you want to, if you want to still do the Moana thing then stay here…” Five people left and there were only four people playing as ten. I stood up. “You know what? Who cares if everyone leaves! I’ll sing every song by myself if I have to! I say we work with what we got!” Everyone agreed with me and that little play meant something to me. It had meant I had stood up and worked with what I had. When they said to stop I stood up and said, “No” I had been in charge for once and I felt so, so proud. I would’ve never said something like, “Work with what we got.” I would’ve given up. But I didn’t. I stood. I stood and talked. I was loyal, faithful, alone, and depressed. The show was amazing. When my Aunts,Uncles,Grandma,Grandpa, when they all clapped everything went in slow motion. I was smiling. Only four people were in the play. I was the leader. I lead the pack. I stood up.

I went home and thought about what play to do at Christmas. Then I had an idea. It would be about a girl who wanted to give up so bad. However...she didn’t. She stood up. She pushed through. She spoke up. She stood and she stood tall. Then a thought came to me. Why did I stand? I could’ve sat down. Cryed. Canceled the whole thing. But I didn’t. I stood up. I stood up with a miserable face. Alone with only two of my brothers and two of my cousins. I stood up weary,sad,alone, and my non-confident voice said, “work with what we got.” I did that. I felt pain. I stood up. Now, I’m confident. I’m loyal and I’m not alone at all. I’m Julia Reichard. The girl who stood. And she stood tall.

February 03, 2021 18:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Radhika Diksha
14:43 Mar 04, 2021

Bravo, JJ. You did the right thing, you did not give up. I hope that I could have watched the performance myself. I think you did an outstanding job of standing up for yourself. Can I say something to you?

Reply

15:39 Mar 04, 2021

Sure!

Reply

Radhika Diksha
16:08 Mar 04, 2021

Can read my stories and give your valuable feedback to them.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
TJ Squared
19:01 Mar 03, 2021

ooh good story! It projects how we all feel scared sometimes, but then we can conquer and get it over with. "Sometimes, there is a time to be scared, but other times, we stand up and punch fear right in the face. That, my friend, is courage."-Lone Wolf

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.