0 comments

Contemporary Fiction Romance

“Are you coming tonight?”

An awkward silence hung in the air as I contemplated my answer.

“You aren’t going to skip again, are you?” Carla’s look of disappointment pricked at my conscience. “You missed the last party I threw because you said you weren’t ready…”

“I’m still cautious…” That was the honest truth.

“Well, it’s an outside party, and I only invited my closest friends, which includes you,” she pointed out with a gentle smile. “I hate the circumstances too, but we can’t stop our lives and live in fear. Just please consider coming.”

“I’ll think about it,” I promised.

“Thanks, Penny!” Carla resisted the urge to hug me as the smile on her face went wide. “Hope to see you there.” She walked on down the sidewalk with her sack of groceries as I listened to her heels click more quietly with every step she took away.

I let out a sigh as I felt the material of the leash handle in my hand. It was slightly wet now, I realized and tried to rub my hands of the sweat onto my shorts. A gentle tug on the leash brought me back to reality, and I looked down to my Goldie, a beautiful golden retriever. She’d needed to get out of the house for a while and kept scratching at the door. I decided a walk might do us both some good, but maybe not. Now, I may have to attend a barbecue tonight.

It’s not that I don’t like Carla… I do. I just… I’m not sure I’m up for Danielle and her attitude. Carla always invites her, and for some reason since middle school, Danielle has had it in for me. She can’t seem to pass up an opportunity to embarrass me or belittle me in front of the group. Now that we are all in college, things are a little different, and… I’m a lot shyer than I used to be. I’ve given in to my reclusive nature more times than not if I’m honest.

The pandemic hasn’t helped this, and now, I hardly venture out unless it’s the grocery store or checking on my parents. I work at home and have college classes online to avoid any unnecessary contact. Yes, that is how bad it’s gotten.

So, am I going tonight? Probably not. No, not unless I find out Danielle isn’t coming… Or if she’s got the pool up because then I could stay in the water and not worry at all about Danielle who would never stick a toe in water thanks to her hydrophobia.

I know how I can find out! I’ll text Veronica. She always knows what’s going on.

After sending her a quick text, I turned my attention to the panting dog. “Ok, Goldie, let’s get home before we run into somebody else,” I tugged on her leash and my loyal pet followed me.

Two blocks later, we walked up our apartment steps when I heard my phone beep. Veronica!

I pulled out my phone to see it was her that had texted back.

V: Penny! I’m definitely going. Staying inside is killing me! I hope you’re going too.

My stomach constricted at her enthusiasm, and I was about to give her the same answer I gave Carla. However, she texted me back quicker than I could send mine.

V: Tyler Nabito is going to be there…

My heart pounded. Tyler? My crush from junior high?

Penny: I haven’t seen him in years!

Years… The last time I saw him I was an awkward fourteen-year-old with braces. I could hardly speak around him… I’m pretty sure he thinks I’m mute.

V: Girl, he’s even cuter than you remember. You’d better get down here before Danielle works her charm on him.

Penny: Danielle’s coming then?

V: You know she is. She doesn’t miss a thing.

Penny: Right.

V: So, are you coming tonight?

Biting my lip, I immediately regretted typing the word.

Penny: Yes.

A couple of hours later, I was in Carla’s backyard with a cola in my hand. She was right; only a handful of friends who all observed the social distancing rules. I’d had pleasant hello’s from all of my friends including Veronica and Carla, but Danielle was yet to be seen.  Not wanting to chance it though, I looked to the pool. It was open with only a couple of partakers, so I quickly headed over to the swimming deck.

I slipped off my sandals and went up the steps to the deck. As I slipped off my overshirt, I heard a snide giggle that made me stop as I pulled it over my head.

“Hi, Penny.” Danielle smiled fakely with very white teeth. She lounged on the deck chairs in a hot pink bikini. Her blonde hair sprayed into submission about her head.

“Danielle,” I acknowledged, “How are you?”

“Bored as everyone else,” she said with a shrug, “But at least I’ve been working on my tan. You look like you’ve lived in Alaska your whole life. You’re so pale!”

“Well, I don’t get out too much right now.”

“Oh, you don’t have to tell me. I haven’t seen you since last year! Have you put on weight?” She arched an eyebrow and looked intently at my figure which I was now awkwardly aware of. I tugged at my turquoise one-piece swimsuit as my dark hair loosely fell about my shoulders. “You haven’t had a haircut since then either, have you?” She nearly cackled.

“I think she looks great.” The manly voice came from the pool below. Danielle and I both turned to see Tyler standing in the waist-deep water.  I smiled at him, grateful for his interference. Hoping he didn’t notice my blushing cheeks, I turned my attention to him.

“Well, thank you, Tyler. You look nice, too.” I think it was the first full couple of sentences I ever said to him.

“Thanks. You should come on in; the water’s warm.”

“I think I will,” I accepted and took hold of the metal railing as I descended into the slightly chilly water. Nothing however could keep me from diving in and swimming to the other side of the pool and out of earshot of Danielle.

I surfaced in the deep end with relief to be away from her. Thanks to Tyler, my evening was rescued. Looking back, I meant to mouth a thank you to him, but I was only met with Danielle’s scowl before she buried her nose in a magazine. Where did Tyler go?

Suddenly, he surfaced next to me and completely surprised me by doing so. Why did he follow me?

“Sorry about Danielle. She can be a bit… much,” he thought he had to explain.

“No, I know. It’s ok… Thank you for bailing me out.”

“You’re welcome. You really do look great. I meant that.”

“Well, thank you.” I couldn’t help the blush this time, and he noticed it because he started smiling… Veronica was right. He is even cuter than I remember. “I heard you were going to be here. What brings you to town?”

“I’m visiting my parents and seeing old friends. I live about an hour from here now, so I don’t get out this way often… but I may have to start.” His eyes narrowed on her, and his smile was unmistakable. She held her breath as he went on. “You know I had a crush on you in seventh grade.”

“You’re kidding?”

“No. I’m not.” Now he was blushing. “You have to know that’s why Danielle despises you.”

“What?”

“Yeah, she liked me… but I liked you. I guess she never got over it. It’s too bad.” He shook his head.

“Since we’re being honest, I like- uh liked you, too, but you moved away before… Well, before I could get the courage to tell you.”

“Well, I’m glad you did… I think I’m still having one.” His bold statement plucked a heartstring.

“You hardly know me,” I denied. There’s no way my crush can like me back… can he?

“Let’s change that. I don’t get out much either right now, but can we exchange numbers before we go? We can video chat, call, text…I just want to get to know you better. I know it seems out of the blue, but I really regretted not sharing my feelings with you then. I want to make up for it.”

“Wow… That’d be great. I have always wondered what would have happened if we had gotten together or I mean talked more…”

“Let’s stop wondering and find out.” 

July 25, 2021 23:44

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.