1 comment

Fiction Romance

There she is. Such a cute face and those freckles are adorable, too. She is always on my mind and I often wonder if she likes the same things as me. I think I will ask her for her phone number today. I will say "Hey, I have seen you working here a few times. Want to hang out sometime?"

No wait, that sound stupid. I can't say that. What a weird thing to say. No, I need to be cooler. Maybe more something along the lines of "Are you doing anything after work?" I mean her shift probably started. It's only 10a.m. but I guess I could ask her what she is doing later. I have to be cool about it though, not a dorky nerd. I can do this. Only three other people in front of me.

Her smile is so nice. I know she smiles for everyone, but she puts a little heart over the "i" in my name instead of the dot. It has to be something, I am sure of it. She always has a bigger smile for me. I see the guy who is at the register right now, he has been there a few mornings as well and she never smiles as much as she does for me as she does for him. That's a good sign, right?

"Hey, how you doing?" I could try that. No, that's silly. This isn't "Friends", this is real life. I bet she hasn't even seen "Friends". Then again she works in a café. It would make sense. Right? Wow that's an even dumber thought. Why would she have had to have seen "Friends" just because she works in a café? It's not like every prison guard saw the "Green Mile".

Another customer moves forward and I am only two people away from speaking to the potential future love of my life. Such gorgeous luscious red wavy hair embracing her pale and beautiful skin with freckles, her slightly tipped upward nose and her bright green eyes. She chimed her usual siren's song of "Good afternoon, how can I help you?" It was music to my ears.

"You can help me by going out with me," and just then I cringed. I shrank within myself. Definitely, definitely do not say that. Say she is cute maybe.

"You're cute," Why not just that? Just try that, throw it at her, everyone loves a compliment. I love compliments. I still remember when Franziska said I had good taste in music back in high school. That was 14 years ago now. Time flies.

"Your shirt looks nice," I could say, maybe? Oh but she is wearing the café's shirt. The owner had them designed a few months back and she told me that they were too tight. I laughed and thanked her for the coffee back then, cursing myself for not talking more to her.

"Maybe I could loosen it for you?" That doesn't even make sense. Another customer has paid and there is only one elderly lady in front and she is taking her time.

"Good afternoon, how can I help you?" my delightful auburn darling sang her sweet song and the lady in front began to babble on about her cat. I could not focus, I avoided her gaze as I looked for the right words to say.

"Look, I've been coming to this place for a few months already, I really only come to see you. I don't even like coffee that much, that's why I always get a latte. Sometimes I don't even finish it, I just come here to talk to you, see you, and I was hoping we could get to know each other better sometime. Do you have some time soon, maybe after work today or another time?"

"Sure! That sounds great. I can't today, but how about tomorrow after work? I always look forward to seeing you. I didn't think you liked me because you never talked more than two words to me." She said shyly, her pale face becoming slightly red.

"Really? That's amazing! I feel the same way! So when do you finish work tomorrow?" I smiled and leaned slightly on the counter.

She giggles and replies with a coy "At 3p.m. I am done," I give her a wink and say:

"Deal."

"Next!" I hear her shout as I am awakened from my daydream, the image so clearly yet so fake, dissipated in thin air before his eyes. He looked to see her looking at him with her smile. Did he see her blush? He must have been mistaken. All the words had planned out disappeared as quickly as his daydream.

"Good afternoon regular, how can I help you?"

Regular. My heart skipped a beat. I could feel my throat tense up.

"Play it cool," I told myself as I could feel myself work up a sweat. It was as if I was in a Yoga pose and had to hold still, but I didn't want to be.

"Uhhhmmm I would like..." I began but she cut me off.

"A latte?" She smiled at me and her eyes seemed to give me a small twinkly reply. Was that a hint? Oh gosh.

"Yes," I laughed awkwardly "you're good."

She smiled and rang it up on the cash register.

"Impossible to forget, you always order the same," she smiled and did a small jump as she finished putting it in the register.

"Anything else?" Her eyes seemed to be asking for more than an order. I opened my mouth and it stood agape for a moment.

I shook my head, instead of saying anything else. She gave a resigned smile and asked if I want to pay with card or cash. I simply raise my hand with the card. The machine beeps as my money dissipates as quickly as my dreams of love as I resignedly turn away to get my coffee from the other barista behind the counter.

Stupid.

Stupid.

Stupid!

I feel like falling down a cliff, or yeeting myself into traffic. As I get my order, the other barista calls out my name and I look at the cup. The heart over the "i" and a winking smiley. Our eyes meet and she winks at me again before tending to another customer. I stare at the cup and curse at myself.

I'll try again tomorrow.

January 10, 2021 17:09

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Kevin Schenk
09:53 Jan 18, 2021

"before my eyes" - instead of "before his eyes" - Seems I forgot I was in first person for a moment (* ̄3 ̄)╭

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.