Another World, Another Me

Submitted into Contest #156 in response to: Write a story where a character is experiencing parallel realities.... view prompt

1 comment

Fiction

Do you ever wonder if there is another you somewhere out in the universe living the life you are suppose to be living? Sometimes I wonder if that's true for me.

Two weeks ago I began having dreams of myself. I didn't understand them then and I still don't understand what they mean. In the dreams I see myself living out a life I could have had. Instead, I'm living a simple yet satisfying life.

My life hasn't turned out the way I always dreamed of. I'm not saying I hate my life. What I am saying is that I have or had dreams of being a chef, owing my own restaurant. But those dreams turned out to be what they are, just dreams.

Lately I've been seeing myself as a chef, owning my own restaurant, but it's not real. All of it is in my head. How did my life turn out this way?

I had a great life, doing what I love and that is making people smile through my food. The day everything took a turn for the worse is the day may father left me, my mom and baby sister. As you can imagine I was heart broken. A couple days later I had my first dream and they haven't stopped since.

I jogged down every one of my dreams. In one instant I'm in my restaurant cooking surrounded by the most amazing people. I'm, happy, smiling and laughing. There are so many people eating my food. In another dream I saw my parents together and so much in love. Then I Saw my baby sister in the restaurant with me, cooking and having fun.

I wish understood what all this means. Are these just dreams or could it be something more? This is so frustrating seeing me, but yet it is not me. This me is totally different from the person I am now.

But yet this person looks just like me. We have the same parents and the same sister. Plus we both love to cook. There are differences, well two big differences. One is in my dreams my parents are still together and in my reality my father left his family. The second difference is I don't own a restaurant and I'm not a chef.

I've been doing research about my dreams. One article caught my attention. The article has to do with Parallel Realities. Basically, what this article means is we are who we are based on the choices we make. Not the big choices, but the small choices.

The other me in my dreams is a result of my desires of what I want my life to become. Because of the choices I made this is what my life is right now.

I'm not angry with my life. I love my mother and sister with all my heart. I will do anything for them, What I am is confused. I don't know what I'm witnessing. Could this be a future version of me? Then again in my dreams my parents are still together. I haven't told my mother about my dreams. I'm trying to figure this out for myself. Maybe tonight I will; get a clear vision of my dreams. If not then I will seek help.

Tonight dinner was great. I cooked. My mom loves my cooking, so does my sister. Conversation was light and funny. We are still hurting over my father leaving. I will not let that damp my mood nor that of my mother and sister.

I can't help but wonder if my father leaving and me quitting culinary school triggered these dreams. Is that even possible? I look at my mother and sister and they are the same as in my dreams.

My mother mouths to me "Are you okay?" I nod. The truth is I'm not okay. I'm far from it. I'm not going to worry my mother with all this craziness. She has enough on her plate.

I finished reading my sister a story. I'm in bed now. I lie down and close my eyes and I'm transport to my other self.

The other me Ariella

Estrella restaurant, my baby is packed to capacity. I can't believe after one week my restaurant is full. This is everything I ever dreamed of. What is even more special, my parents and sister are here with me. I can't put into words how this makes me feel. Estrella which means restaurant in Spanish has been my dream since I was a little girl and now my dream has come true. I love making people smile through my food and everyone is smiling.

Ariella wakes up

Oh my God! that was all too real. She said everything I always dreamed my restaurant would be and the name Estrella is the same name I chose for my restaurant. This is too freaky. I take out my notebook and write about my dream. Tomorrow I will seek help. I fall back asleep and transport back to the other Ariella.

The other Ariella

I'm smiling. Do you know why I'm smiling? Estrella received a five-star review after being in business for one week. People really love my food. This is amazing. I called my parents and told them the good news. They are so happy for me. Wow just wow.

Ariella wakes up

This dream is just as real as the last. What the hell is happening to me? I quickly get dress and leave my house. I walk to the park sit on a bench and think about my dreams.

A little while later a stranger comes to me and sits next to me. "I know what you are going through. Take my card. Call me and I will give you the answers you are searching for." I take the card. The stranger leaves me more confused. What do I have to lose?

This stranger probably has the answers I'm looking for. I call him. He picks up immediately. He tells me his name is Andrew. I tell him my name is Ariella. Then I begin to tell him about my dreams. I go into detail about how I see myself in my own restaurant with the same name I picked out. I'm the head chef, then I see my parents who are still together.

Andrew hears me out, he stays silent for two seconds and what he says next blows my mind. Andrew tells me "You are not experiencing a dream world, but a Parallel Reality." I stay quiet unable to speak.

A few moments later I regain my composure. Andrew tells me "I will help you through this if you want me too." He could be the answer I need.

I ask Andrew "How do you know so much about this?" Andrew says to me "I've been researching Parallel Realities ever since I experience one myself."

Andrew gives me his address. It's not far from here. I get up from the bench and walk to Andrew's house. The walk allows me to think about what Andrew has told me. Parallel Realities. Is that even possible? Could another me really be out there somewhere living a life I was suppose to be living? This is too crazy to believe. What if Andrew is correct? I guess I just have to see for myself.

I arrive at Andrew's house. I walk to the door and ring the doorbell. A guy who I assume is Andrew opens the door. "Ariella" I nod. "Come in." I enter Andrew's house.

He sees how nervous I am. Andrew tells me not to worry, then he goes on to tell me that Parallel Realities exist within ourselves based on the choices we make. I listen intently to Andrew and I ask him "Why is this happening to me?"

Andrew looks at me and asks me if I'v been struggling in my life. I nod. I tell Andrew my father left me, my mom and sister. I quit culinary school and with that my hopes of becoming a chef and opening my own restaurant. I also tell Andrew my dreams started shortly after words.

"Lay down and close your eyes." I do as Andrew tells me. I lay down on his couch and close my eyes. "Take deep shallow breathes. Embrace your other self. Don't fight it, feel it."

I'm transport to the other world. This time it's different. I'm not seeing my other me, but living it. I'm actually in my parallel Reality. This is so unbelievable. I'm inside Estrella restaurant. I walk around the restaurant looking at all the beautiful designs. This is exactly how my restaurant would have turned out.

Then the most unbelievable thing happens. I come face to face with my other self. "Hi." My other self hugs me and says "You can still make your dreams come true. Don't give up. She lets go of me and I'm transport back.

I don't understand what happened. I actually talked with my other self. But how? I ask Andrew "How is this possible?"

"Your other self has been experiencing her Parallel Reality. She's been dreaming about you." I look shockingly at Andrew.

Then Andrew tells me the most incredible truth. "You must be wondering how I know this." I nod. "Ever since I experienced my own Parallel Reality, I've been doing a ton of research and I found a way to get in touch with my own Parallel Reality and then onto other Parallel Realities. Now I go from world to world helping those who have been experiencing Parallel Realities. Now I must go, before I go I want to let you know to take the advice of your other self because after all you are the same person."

Andrew leaves and I'm left to wonder about my next move. I've been through a lot lately, a lot of painful moments. There is one thing besides my mother and sister who have gotten me through the pain and that is cooking and I have to believe Andrew and my other self has my best interest at heart. So, I am going to follow the advice of my other self and continue with my dreams of being a chef and one day opening my restaurant.

Later that night I fall asleep and escape into my Parallel Reality. I smile when I see myself and I embrace the person I am and the person I'm going to become and I embrace my other self.

Here is to new beginnings.

July 28, 2022 21:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Ron Davidson
21:43 Aug 03, 2022

Hey Melinda! I enjoyed your story! You definitely used the prompt. This is an intriguing topic. I picture parallel realities as loops stacked on top of loops. Maybe the moment you are exploring is where those loops intersect? Look at Andrew’s dialogue where he says “parallel reality” several times while trying to explain his experiences. Maybe you could have him try to simplify the process with an example of the concept like I did above? I think this will help the reader track the conversation more easily. Just a suggestion. I enjoy your...

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.