1 comment

Mystery Suspense Horror

The lights flickered for a few seconds and then died.

“What’s up with your electricity?” Nick asked.

“It’s been weird the past week or so. My parents said they’d get it checked out when they’re back from vacation,” Mark replied.

“Still can’t believe they left you here alone for an entire weekend. Our parents would never,” Nick said. 

Amrika listened to the conversation silently. She didn’t have anything to add and her brother Nick was the more social one. He hadn’t stopped talking since they arrived. She wondered if Nick even liked her. He had only brought her along because they needed an eighth player since Daniel had decided to join.

“We’re gonna go outside to fix it okay Ams,” Nick said while opening the door. He and Mark had left before she could even reply.

She enjoyed the brief silence in the darkness and closed her eyes for a bit. The others would come later in the night. She shivered as the room suddenly became colder, then heard a creak behind her and opened her eyes. She wondered if she had imagined the sound. She knew no one else was there. Then there was a loud bang as a picture on the wall next to her fell. She froze and then reassured herself that it was probably hung badly. As she went to pick it up she heard something like the faint sound of footsteps behind her. She glanced back and saw nothing but her body was tense and she became hyperaware of her heart’s thumping. That’s when the power and lights returned. She felt more comfortable now and exhaled a sigh of relief. When Nick and Mark returned, she only mentioned that the picture had fallen. She was embarrassed to say that she had been anxious and afraid, knowing that they would judge her. An observer could tell that she did belong in their circle. She and Nick were twins. Both brown skinned Indians, with similar round faces. They were also both fit and had dyed hair. Nick’s mohawk was completely blonde whilst Amrika only had streaks of the colour in her long dark hair. Mark was Caucasian with grey eyes and brown hair cut in a simple fade. He had mild acne and one could see he was slightly younger and shorter than the two. However, the bond between Mark and Nick seemed stronger than the siblings’.

“I literally saw Amrika chop Trent in half dude.”

“How do we know it’s not you Estevan? There’s 5 of us and 2 Imposters left. If we vote off Amrika and it’s not her we lose.” Sydney had bolted off her chair to address him and her long red hair was inadvertently freed from its bun.

“Amrika has definitely been suspect,” Mark added, “she’s just been running around, not doing any tasks.”

“She’s new, she doesn’t know what to do!” Sydney interrupted. “I think it’s Mark and Estevan.”

“Maybe it’s you too Syd, no one’s sus of you,” Mark retorted.

“Look at the two of them teaming up against Amrika,” Sydney said while turning to address Chad. “It must be the two of them. I’m voting Este.”

“That makes sense,” Chad replied while adjusting his beanie, “I’m gonna—“

“Chad! Chad!” interjected Estevan. “Are you really letting Syd play you because she’s your girlfriend or are you just stupid?”

“Shut up dude,” Chad responded. “I already voted.”

“Well I’ll vote Este too,” Amrika added.

Sydney was using her hair tie to create a ponytail as the result came up showing a victory for the Imposters. “Well, the two girls just beat you,” she smirked.

“We told you Chad!” Mark said. “Aren’t Asians supposed to be smart?”

“Amrika literally took out Trent in front of me and Syd somehow twisted around the story. She’s too fricking good man,” Estevan added.

“Hey Mark, don’t stereotype!” Smiling wryly, Sydney continued, “Sorry babe,” and leaned over to give Chad a kiss.

“Ah, don’t talk to me,” he said and kissed her back.

“Amrika was great for a newbie,” Daniel commented. “She took me out fast.”

Amrika grinned, “I heard that you’re good at this. I didn’t want you around to expose us.”

“You’re brutal Amrika,” Trent said while walking over to give her a high five.

Just as Amrika was about to reply the lights flickered again and then the power went out.

“Dammit!” said Nick as he walked towards the door. “Don’t worry guys, Mark and I will fix it.”

Nick stopped at the door and fumbled with the knob for a few seconds before addressing Mark. “Hey dude, it won’t open.”

“That’s weird,” Mark said, and he too went over to the door and struggled with the knob.

           “Why won’t it open?” Amrika asked.

           Nick gave her an exasperated look which she barely saw in the dark and replied “If we knew, we’d open it.”

           “Does anyone else think it just got a lot colder in here?” Chad asked.

           There was a chilly draft of air travelling throughout the room that seemed to have no source. It caused collective shiver among the group. The light from a computer screen caught Daniel’s eyes and he realized something was happening.

“Hey guys, shouldn’t the Wi-Fi be down? There’s a new game loading,” he said. 

“You planned a haunted house Among Us party Mark?” Trent joked.

Mark laughed. “A haunted house Among Us party sounds good to me,” he agreed. “Wish I’d actually thought of it.”

“Look at the screen,” Amrika said softly as an image began to swirl.

It was a misshapen thing. An almost humanoid creature, but its body did not seem solid. It stood in the centre of their screens and its form flickered like mist being disrupted by wind. It did not have any particular colour and its body seemed to imprint itself on its surroundings, existing as a portrait of the dark background. It also seemed to pulsate rhythmically as if emulating human breath. Yet one could question whether it needed to breathe as the creature did not appear to be alive; and with each exhalation they could feel the draft of cold air pervading the room.

“Is that thing in here with us?” Daniel asked. His dark skin seemed paler in the screen’s reflection, highlighting the mole on his left cheek. He passed his hand through his usually neat afro and then started to bite his nails.

“I don’t know,” Sydney said.

“Come on guys, Mark is just pranking us,” Trent said.

As soon as the words were out of his mouth, Trent’s large, chubby frame crashed backwards to the floor and he was dragged out of the room in seconds. The sudden movement stole his breath and the door slammed shut as he passed through it. Estevan, who had quickly followed, tried to open it but the lock was jammed. They heard one brief scream from Trent and then silence hung in the air.

“What the f*** is going on?” Nick asked.

“The screen,” Sydney said.

The image of the creature had been replaced by words.

WELCOME TO AMONG US

7 of you remain.

Only 2 shall survive.

One of you will be the Imposter that kills all their friends.

The final two must decide who is guilty.

Good luck.

“Um, this isn’t how the game is supposed to work,” said Mark.

“Dude, this isn’t even a game,” Chad said, “I think this sh** is real.”

“Seriously, what just happened to Trent?” Nick asked.

“We need to find him,” Estevan added.

“I don’t think that’s smart,” Sydney said while rubbing her arms. Her sweater didn’t seem to help with the still dropping temperature.

Daniel’s chest had begun to tighten and he sat in a foetal position. He was scanning the darkness around the room, glaring at every shadow. His breath was almost ragged as he struggled to control it.

Nick tried to kick open the front door but it didn’t budge. Amrika remained silent but she had moved next to Daniel to comfort him while Sydney and Estevan argued about what they should do. Mark was attempting to use his phone but soon realized his and everyone else’s had died. Chad had risen, attempting to help Nick find a door or window from which they could gain freedom—but every exit seemed to have been bolstered by an otherworldly force which had hardened its properties. Hitting the doors and windows felt like hitting concrete. Nick’s fists had become sore as he punched harder and harder in frustration. 

“Hey, this door opened,” Chad said, and the others except Daniel and Amrika went closer. It revealed a dark staircase that wound upward.

“That goes to the attic,” Mark said.

Sydney sighed, “Well, we have to check it out, but we should stick together.”

“Daniel’s better,” Amrika said, “we can come.”

The cold air followed them up the staircase. The narrow space seemed to trap more of it and the sensation was almost excruciating. At the top of the stairs was the worst. The air in attic branded their skin with its piercing coldness, and the room was shockingly dark. Sydney tried raising her hand as close to her face as she could without touching it. She squinted and still could not see its form. She and the others moved around for a few minutes, attempting to feel their way around the area.

Estevan was moving around a table when he stumbled over something on the floor. He had the faint realization that it was a body, then he felt a piercing pain in his neck. His heart fluttered and he tried to scream but could only manage a gurgle. His throat had filled with blood and he felt more pain penetrate his back. He flailed his arms as another, then another pierced his body. His eyes swung widely but he could not see his assailant in the darkness. His throat was constricting and he coughed up blood. 

“What’s going on?” Mark said. The noise in a corner of the room had gained everyone’s attention.

Estevan rolled over onto his back. He still sensed the body next to him and managed to forcibly conjure one word.

“Help.”

Mark rushed over towards the sound and he heard other footsteps moving in the same direction. He stepped on Estevan’s arm and almost fell. Estevan could only manage another gurgle and felt his consciousness fading. He felt light-headed and blinked. The world around him seemed distant and he attempted to sit up but collapsed as his head swam and temples ached. He thought he heard a voice but couldn’t recognize the words. Mark had knelt next to the body, using his hands to tell him what he couldn’t see and he had discovered the wounds oozing an ominous liquid. There were others kneeling next to him and the room was suddenly flooded with light. It stung their eyes for a few seconds before revealing the scene.

Two bodies. One Estevan’s, littered with stab wounds, the worst of which was the savage and likely fatal one to his throat. The guilty weapon was mockingly left in his hand. Next to him lay the unmoving Nick. At first glance his body seemed unmarked. But then there was the leather cord still wrapped around his neck, as well as its sinister results etched into his skin. Amrika felt her insides melt. She reached a trembling hand towards her brother’s body and then stopped. She turned away, her face held in her hands and her shoulders shaking uncontrollably.

“Who did this?” Mark said quietly, letting the question hang in the air. He repeated himself again, then again. Each time louder, until he was shouting the words and pounding the floor. Tears had begun to stream down his face. Sydney, Chad and Daniel stood behind them, surveying the scene quietly.

Chad turned to Sydney, “Did you do it?”

“Chad what? What the f***? Are you serious? Are you serious? Are. You. Serious?”

“Yes or no Sydney.”

‘No Chad. F*** no, and don’t ask me that again.” She raised her hands to her head and pulled at her hair in frustration. “I can’t believe this,” she said and strode out of the room. She stumbled down the steps blindly, the light had not returned to the rest of the house. She tried a door to one of the side rooms and found that it opened, locking it behind her so she could be alone. After a few minutes Chad followed trying to find her to apologize. Daniel had left right after her and Chad found him sitting in the living room with his head in his hands.

“Have you seen Sydney?”

“No, she just disappeared. I don’t know where she went.”

Chad sighed, “Okay, I’m gonna try to find her.”

In the attic, Amrika rose slowly and laid a hand on Mark’s shoulder. Mark had collapsed over the body of his friends, still sobbing.

“I’m going,” she whispered, “I can’t stay here.”

He nodded and she left. As she did, he reached for the knife that had been left in Estevan’s hand.

Daniel sensed a presence behind him and before he could turn, a hand wrapped around his neck, followed by the kiss of a blade.

“Sorry Daniel,” the voice said and it pressed into his skin, splitting the precious protection and digging deeper. He attempted to dig the arm with his nails but the knife was only pushed deeper in response and after a few moments he stopped struggling. Amrika laid face down on the attic steps. She had endured a similar attack, feeling an arm suddenly grasp her throat. She had struggled, as she was choked and felt the blade pierce her in the side. As she went limp the arm had released her. She had not died though. She lost conscious briefly then regained a semi-conscious state. Some blood had been lost from the wound but she was able to crawl down the remaining stairs, where she silently witnessed Daniel’s fate. The light returned to the room when it was over and she recognized the assailant.

Sydney leaned against a wall in the bedroom. The door next to her opened and she heard Chad’s familiar voice saying her name. She thought that she had locked the door but then shrugged. Maybe she didn’t.

“I’m here,” she said.

“Hi,” he responded, “I’m really sorry.”

“It’s okay. That was hard to see...” she trailed off. “I…” Again she couldn’t find the words.

“I understand,” Chad said, “my mind wasn’t right either. That’s why I was being stupid.”

He had sat next to her and draped an arm around her shoulders. She leaned her face into his chest seeking its warmth and comfort. She had felt a brief respite from the cold but it had returned as he entered. At that same moment another figure passed through the still open door. Sydney straightened, feeling the adrenaline and anxiety pumped throughout her system by a rush of blood.

“Sydney? Where are you? It’s not safe.”

It was Amrika.

“What do you mean? Did someone else die?” Sydney asked.

“Yes, yes! He tried to kill me too. I saw who it was.”

“You know? Who was it?” Sydney asked.

The room lit up at that moment, dazzling their eyes for a moment.

“It was Chad,” said Amrika.

“What?” Sydney said as her body froze. Amrika also noticed Chad’s presence for the first time.

“Sydney, he’s—!”

Amrika was interrupted as Chad rose and stabbed her viciously. She screamed and grabbed her stomach, then he slashed again at her throat, causing her to collapse.

Chad dropped to his knees and let the knife fall from his grasp as Amrika whimpered quietly.

“I’m sorry Syd,” he said, “I really didn’t mean to. It was controlling me.”

Sydney’s voice had been stolen from her and she had scampered away from him into a corner of the room. Amrika was now silent and unmoving. The coldness had left.

“It’s okay,” he said, “it won’t make me hurt you. It’s only us left.”

“What?” she shrieked, “you killed everyone?”

Chad stood and turned to face her. “There were two knives in the room, I left the first one because it was too bloody. I took the second with me. Mark did it to himself with the one I left. After you and Daniel had gone I stayed for a bit then followed, telling him I was looking for you. I doubled back towards the attic and met Amrika coming down. I thought I had killed her. Then I saw Mark dead when I got to the top. I came back down and then killed Daniel. Then I found you. I had this weird extra sense, like, I knew where you guys were if you were close enough. Even when I couldn’t see. That’s how I killed in the dark.”

“But you accused me.”

“I… I don’t know Syd,” he said while stepped closer to her, but she recoiled. “I didn’t know it was me the first time. It’s like I wasn’t conscious. At least it’s over now.”

“Chad, it’s not over! All our friends are dead.” She placed her head in her hands but she couldn’t cry anymore.

Chad tried to embrace her but she slapped him away aggressively, “Don’t. Touch. Me.” She said each word slowly and deliberately. Chad obeyed and sat facing her. 

“I love you,” he said.

“Chad…” Sydney rose, looking at Amrika’s body, then turning back to him, “I can’t do this right now. I need to be alone.”

He nodded his understanding and she left the room. As she did, he felt the coldness returning and reached towards the knife. He pressed it against his own throat, imagining how his friends had felt. He felt the urge to kill again—to kill Sydney. He thought of her and his heart raced. He thought of her smile, her laugh and her ponytail. He thought of her and then plunged the blade into himself. 

October 23, 2020 04:49

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Austin Lynn
01:00 Feb 25, 2022

Is this about among us please because I like among us

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.