Celeste; Land of the Astri

Written in response to: Set your story at the boundary between two realms.... view prompt

0 comments

Fantasy Fiction

Celeste walked in the Celestial Fields. 'Beautiful.' She thought to herself, looking at the pitch black grass, each flower a luminescent white color, a reflection of the stars. Celeste was an Astri. They're job was to send the deceased to either the underworld, the Collective Consciousness, 'heaven', or maybe a mini pocket-dimension. They each are assigned a human to watch throughout their life. When their human dies, they are assigned another one. They can do this indefinitely, as they're immortal. Her phone rang. "Yes?" She answered. "It's me. meet me in the throne room." The caller responded. Celeste was in the newer generation of Astri. They are currently 27, way younger the other Astris. Celeste made her way to the Queen's throne room. The Astris represented the stars, but the queen represented the moon. She walked into a room. Her room, to be exact. She snapped her fingers, and an elaborate, intricate door appeared, pitch black with constellations. She walked through, and she was now in the Throne Room. There, on the throne, was Hecate, goddess of the moon. "You called me, ma'am?" Celeste asked, bowing in respect. Hecate nodded. "Yes. You've been assigned a new human." Celeste was confused. "Why bring me here then? Couldn't someone have emailed me or something?" She asked. "I knew this human myself. He's a survivor of the Kuragari Massacre. His name is Sirius. I believe you've met him before the massacre." Hecate said, her face almost reminiscent.

"Yes, I knew him personally. He was friends with my little sister Irina, ma'am." She said, standing up once more, her interest piqued.Hecate nodded. "I thought so, but wasn't sure. You are to watch over him. Your siblings have been watching him secretly. I want you, the oldest, to take over formally. I want him protected as much as possible, without breaking the Decree of Intervention. Am I understood, Celeste?" Asked Hecate. "Yes, Queen Hecate." Hecate nodded her head, and Celeste was dismissed.

Millions of thoughts were moving at the speed of light through her head. 'Sirius is alive? Why didn't I check before? Irina and Celestia have been watching him?' She ran through the Celestial Fields, and into a building that would represent a Mundane office building. She ran into an elevator, and ran into her office on the thirteenth room. She walked up to the wall, which had a large mirror on it. "Show me Sirius Kuragari." She said, as cool and collected as she could. The mirror was showing Sirius, walking up a building. Sirius rubbed the back of his neck as if he were nervous. She could hear his thoughts. 'It feels as if someone is watching me.' Celeste laughed to herself, but realized he couldn't hear her. "That's because I am watching you. It's been so long, and I thought... I thought you were gone. I thought you died. And I didn't even bother to check. I shouldn't have assumed you were dead." She closed her eyes, and sobbed.

She remembered something Sirius said years ago, when they were children. "Remember Celeste, never assume something unless you know it's true. Even then, assuming things can be dangerous. Never assume things. That will be your downfall, if you do. Promise me you won't be assuming things all the time." And she did. And for all these years, she thought she had done good on her promise. But she assumed he was dead, without even trying to see if it was true. There was a knocking on her door. With a wave of her hand, and the mirror returned to normal, showing a reflection.

"Who is it?" She asked. "It's me, Irina. Are you okay? You sound like you've been crying." Irina said concerned. "I'm coming in, Celeste, I hope your decent." Irina opened the door, to find Celeste, her face wet with tears, and the makeup she was wearing was ruined. "What is it, Big Sis?" she asked, rushing in to hug her elder sister. "Sirius.....He's alive. Hecate told me this morning. All these years, I thought he was dead." She pulled away from Irina. "And you and Celestia never told me. It's been fourteen years, and not once you two have mentioned him. We built a shrine for him together!" She screamed. "All the while YOU knew he was alive!" She seemed to think for a moment. "You two cried when the massacre happened. But a few days later, you were acting like nothing happened. Joyous, even. Little did I know, it was because you knew he was alive. And you never even thought about telling me." She said, a tear dripping down her face. Irina took it all in, her head hanging. "We wanted to tell you, Celeste, but we didn't know how." She picked her head up. "It's not like we could just say 'Hey, Celeste, you know how we thought Sirius was dead, well he's alive!" Irina said, exasperated. "And it's not like you're not to blame here. You didn't even bother checking to see if he survived. But me and Celestia, we did. Because we cared about him. To you, he was no more than a human you could toy with like a guinea pig. I don't even know why you're crying so much about this. I don't know why you're affected by this at all." Celeste was speechless. "I.....didn't care about him? I'm the one without feelings? You bi-, you bi-" She sighed. She couldn't bring herself to say that to her sister. Maybe it was because she knew deep down, she knew she had a point. "Just.... get out. You and Celestia need to stay away from me." Irina hesitated. "But.. but I-" Celeste interrupted Irina. "Shut up, and just get out. I don't want to hear another word from you." Irina nodded, and walked out of Celeste's room, closing the door behind her. 'I probably shouldn't have said that.' Celeste thought. 'Actually, I was in the right! I deserved to know he was alive! But..... she also had a point. I didn't check.' I to look to the future, because I can't change the past. I have to try to make it up to Sirius, when the time is right.' Her resolve and courage grew, as well as her hatred towards her sisters. It would be years before they would ever talk to each other. That is, until something that would happen to Sirius would bring them together.... whether they like it, or not.

October 25, 2021 13:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.