Human nature

Submitted into Contest #102 in response to: Start your story with a metaphor about human nature.... view prompt

0 comments

High School

Human nature is the Atlantic Ocean! That was the opening sentence to Carrie's unapologetic public speaking exam for English class. She continued, "Location, Location right?" She tapped her keyboard. A very quick card fall of pictures showed poignant parts in recent history, like the Trade towers falling, war in Afghanistan, riots, Donald Trump, pandemic, immunisation etc.

Yes Yes we are the Atlantic Ocean! We are one of the five blind men.looking at the elephant and knowing we are the only one's right! Carrie's voice faded and stopped from nerves. She picked up a foam ball near her computer and threw it at Tom. Tom, Why is human nature the Atlantic Ocean? Catching the ball Tom's eyes wide open, he muttered, 'Ah, I don't know'

That's ok Tom can you throw the ball to another person in the classroom.

Annah did a tiny smile and wave at Tom. The ball high curved landing on Annah's desk. 'Ummm the Atlantic Ocean is a location that's all I know". Several eyes were eyeballing her, she firmly placed the ball on her neighbours table. The class engaging laughed at the small act of rebellion. Carrie chipped in, "Brandon, have you got any ideas?" Brandon sat up straight facing Carrie, The Atlantic Ocean is a location? So my guess is Human nature has something to do with a location"

The flew over the heads of two people knocking into the back of Skye. Skye was the intellect. She knew how to assert her boundaries and this was another case of Brandon's usual disrespect of her. She turned, bent down and dusted the ball. Clearing her throat, 'Hmmm..." , her eyes throwing poison arrows, "... As you know, you know Brandon the Atlantic Ocean IS a location! I was thinking maybe..." Demonstrating her authority, she stretched her body and yawned at Brandon. Swivelling to resume her gaze at Carrie aiming the object, "...I was thinking maybe the notion of human nature is a location in TIME!" to land back in Carrie's hands.

Placing the ball next to the computer, Carrie nodded, "Well done Skye, you nailed it!" Can you say that for the class again Skye? Skye with a small blush on her face, realising her distaste of Brandon had caused an adrenaline rush to gift her with the perfect answer, quietly she said, "The notion of human nature is limited to a place in Time. "Thank you Skye!"

Carrie started to feel like a teacher, "Yes, we as humans have always been stereotyped. In the past, we grouped people together under gender, class, race, age etc and nature! If you had blonde hair you were dumb. If you had red hair you had a bad temper. Brown hair- Stable! Reliable! Hideous as that sounds, moving forward, we are realising we can no longer be the 'Bay of Pigs! That is moving within the security of a group to have no accountability as an individual.

Passing a pile of A-4 paper to Linda, Carrie asked her to hand a piece to each student plus the teacher, Ms Singh. "You all have three minutes to draw yourself as being a responsible individual!" Carrie eased down in the teacher's chair, keeping a hawk eye on the class. "2 minutes left..." Some people were hurrying, one glared out the window. ",,,1 minute" Brandon let out a chuckle put his hands on his head and rocked the chair" Annah Googled Emojis to get it right. "...30 seconds" More people finished! "...10, 9.8.7.6 - nearly finished- 4,3,2,1, ok pens down stop!!!"

There was a sigh of relief, the sound of an effortless 100 yard dash! "Louise can you do the honours" She stood up and held her paper so people could see her picture of stick person holding a bunch of flowers underneath was the caption, "Are you ok?" I think being kind is part of being responsible.

Carrie wrote, '1. Being Kind" How about you Rachid? I'm sort of where Louise then unfolding her paper of two potato shaped people hugging, one crying with caption, "It's ok not to be Ok" Scuffling floor with sneakers, "Umm looking after my mental health, resting, relaxing, meditation..." Some clapped and several other pupils held up a similar theme. Carrie replied, "Excellent. Number 2, Wellbeing, including mental health"

Noticing Skye was holding her cards close to her chest, Carrie asked, "Skye have you got something different?" There Skye had did the same picture of a can, a plastic container and glass bottle many times exactly as a pattern

With different colour backgrounds like famous painter . "Recycling" Ms Singh agreed showing her picture a happy new flying amongst weed flowers not mowed. Another showing a picture of patched clothing.

"4. Looking after our environment. 5. Respect of self and others." Time was running out and the Cheshire cat , still swinging on his chair, grinned. Carrie ready for the wise crack asked Brandon what was his idea. He held up his picture laughter, rolling eyes, screwed up paper throwing. Carrie not surprised wrote, "6. Sexual health". There was a very big picture of a used condom.

The school bell rang, Carrie thanked the class, as they clapped and packed their bags, saying, 'Awesome Carrie', Well done, even Brandon extended his elbow to bump with Carrie.

Ms Singh alone with "Carrie, have you thought about teaching as a career?" Carrie knowing her grade was going to be good from her teacher's comment glowed. "Not until half way through my presentation did I think I could do that. I mean, I felt comfortable" (Secretly she also enjoyed the restrained power too). "I've given you grade A+" I liked how you involved the class to move from an old school type of thinking to a new and personal framework of the individual. The physical act of throwing ball woke them up from what they thought would be a boring listen. The drawing of their own personal responsibility may have influenced new behaviours and lastly you ability to manage disrupticve divergence and Brandon still like you!" Carrie's eyes moved rapidly to the left accompanied with a bright smile, "Thank you, I had a good teacher!"

July 09, 2021 23:27

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.