2 comments

General

The stars shone bright


It was a beautiful summer night. Doris couldn’t resist going outside to do some star gazing. As she looked up she was glad she remembered her astronomy and could name the consolations. 


While she stood there a gentle breeze ruffled her cotton dress. It was too short for a woman her age. She didn’t care, she didn’t pay attention to those magazines that told women how to look. 


One of her neighbors, Stan, saw her, walked over and stood next to her. 


“What ya looking at Doris?”


“Just the stars Stan. Aren’t they beautiful?”


Stan looked up at the night sky, then back at her.


“I guess so, but I’ve seen better.”


Doris stopped star gazing and stared at Stan. She liked him. Not just because he looked nice, had broad shoulders, a nice smile, but because he was friendly, and easygoing. 


“Really? Where was that?”


Stan grinned. “It was in Arizona.”


“When were you in Arizona?” Doris asked. 


“Last summer.” Stan answered. Did a lot of star gazing there. “


“Really? I’d love to see those stars.” Doris responded. 

Stan smiled. “We could go right now. We’d be there by tomorrow night.”


Doris laughed. “Oh come on, you can’t be serious.”


A puzzled look crossed Stans face. “Why not?” He asked. 


Doris looked at him surprised. “For one thing I hardly know you. For another I don’t just get in the car and take off.”


“Really? Why the heck not? And you know me. We’ve been neighbors for five years. Surely you aren’t afraid of me.”


Doris thought this through. He was right, they knew each other. As he asked, why not. 


“Well okay, let’s do it,” she said and giggled. 


They walked over to Stans house, got in the car, and drove off with him at the wheel. 


Hitting the highway out of town, Stan pushed the accelerator until the car reached eighty miles per hour. 


“Slow down, Stan,” Doris shouted. 


Stan glanced over at her. “Gotta go this fast if we’re going to get there by tomorrow night.”


“It would be all right with me if we got there the following night!” Doris exclaimed. 


Stan didn’t pay attention to her. Instead he got the car going faster. Suddenly he realized he had missed the turn off and slammed on the brakes. The car spun around and came to a dead stop. 


Doris screamed. “What the hell are you doing?”


“I missed the turn back there,” Stan answered calmly. 


Driving the wrong way on the highway he got them back and took the turn. 


Doris held her hands over her closed eyes and hoped they didn’t run into anyone. 


Just as they made the turn, a car went whizzing past them blaring the horn. 


Stan looked over at Doris. “Are you all right?” He asked causally. 


“No, I’m not all right. That car almost hit us,” she said and took her hands off her eyes and opened them. 


“But it didn’t and we are doing fine.”


“Are you kidding me, is this what you call fine?” She asked startled by his calmness. 


Stan shrugged his shoulders. “Yeah, we’re okay and back on track.”


Doris shook her head and stared out the window. She wondered how Stan could be so calm. She hoped they would make it to Arizona in one piece. 


She got tired of watching the scenery as they drove by so fast. It started to make her dizzy. She turned her head and viewed Stan. He looked handsome even in a t-shirt and jeans. She sighed softly. She thought, I like a crazy person. What else could happen?


“Stan I know how this sounds, but maybe we should go home and try again during the daytime.”


“What? You want to turn back? Are you crazy? I thought you wanted to see those stars,” he said irritated. 


“Stan, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to upset you. It’s just been so crazy.”


“What do you mean by that?” He asked suspiciously. 


“Well you drove so fast, then we were almost in an accident and now you are driving too fast.”


“I explained all of that to you. Your still upset about that?”


“Yes I am. Any normal person would be. Oh, Stan, I don’t want to argue. Please could we just go home? The stars are there too.”


Stan pulled off the road onto the shoulder and once again slammed on the brakes. The car came to a sudden stop. He turned off the engine, unfasten his seatbelt, and got out of the car. He walked around to the passenger side of the car and opened the door. 


Doris stared up at him in disbelief. “What are you doing?”


“Get out, we can see the stars here.”


Doris looked up at the sky. “Stan, the sky is clouded over. There aren’t any stars,” she said as calmly as she as she could. “Let’s either go on to Arizona or home.”


Stan slammed the door shut. He walked back to his side of the car and got back in. Starting the car he fastened his seat belt. “Fine Arizona here we come.”


Doris jumped when the door was slammed. She gasped and stared at Stan. She thought it best not to say anything. She leaned back in her seat and closed her eyes. Maybe if she was lucky she would fall asleep. 


Stan drove on until morning. He pulled the car onto the shoulder, turned off the engine, and leaned back in his seat. He soon fell asleep. He woke up at dawn. 


“Wake up Doris,” he said and shook her shoulders. 


Doris opened her eyes, yawned, and stretched. 


“Where are we.”


“We’ll be in Arizona tonight. Thought you might want to see the scenery.”


Doris rubbed her eyes. “I have an idea, what if I drive and you rest.”


Stan smiled. “Thanks for the gesture, but I already slept. I feel fine. I’ll go slow so you can enjoy.”


Doris nodded. “Thanks.”


 The scenery was beautiful, but mesmerizing and Doris fell asleep again. 


Again Stan continued to drive. He woke Doris up after parking in a store parking lot. 


Doris opened her eyes and glanced over at Stan. “Are we there?”


“Just get out and look up.”


The two got out of the car. Doris stood next to Stan and looked up. “Oh Stan, you were right, the stars are very beautiful.”


They gazed at the stars and Doris leaned her head on Stan’s shoulder. She whispered in his ear. “This is wonderful, but I’m driving home.”


Stan merely smiled. 















May 01, 2020 04:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Naomie K
06:38 May 07, 2020

Michele, I love your story! It was wonderful. Keep it up!!

Reply

Michele Stigers
19:07 May 07, 2020

Thank you. The new prompt of a pirate looking for treasure made me laugh. Sounds like curse of the black pearl with captain Jack Sparrow

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.