THE GOOD SAMARITAN

Submitted into Contest #96 in response to: Write about someone welcoming a stranger into their home.... view prompt

0 comments

Contemporary Fiction Friendship

It was Covid time and a lockdown was in force. It was past 7 in the evening. I was working from home making out an important report when my head ache started. I asked my wife for some coffee but even taking that didn’t reduce the pain. I searched for a pain killer tablet but found it was exhausted. My wife also searched but she also hadn’t any. I have a tenant upstairs and he could’ve spared me one for now, but he had gone somewhere on work and had been detained due to lockdown.

I put up with the pain for a while but then it increased. I called Dey who ran a medical shop nearby and spoke to him. He said “I’ve the medicine but I’m alone in the shop. You could come and collect it.  I’ll be open only for another 20 minutes.”

Putting on my mask I rushed out and collected the tablet. As I turned to go home I heard a voice saying  ”Sir.....” I stopped and saw a short middle-aged man with grey hair and bedraggled clothes standing near me. I was sure he was a sort of panhandler.

He said very respectfully in a soft voice “Sir, I’m Vaz and live in an outhouse of Hampton Court. I work for a freight forwarding company. I’m a family man with 2 children. I had been to the KK hospital to see my uncle who has been admitted there and got a lift to near here in an ambulance as there’re no buses or cabs. Is there some place where I could spend the night as my home is far off?”

I asked “Have you informed your family?”

He showed me his phone and said “I’ve kept my wife informed.”

The man appeared genuine. He again said “Just for tonight. I’ll be gone at 6 tomorrow morning.”

He had removed his mask momentarily to wipe his face and I could see his features fully. He resembled a distant kin of mine, a villager, who would now and then visit us, carrying for us a bag of peanuts he grew. I felt like helping this stranger.

I said “Come with me.”

As we walked along I got details about him.

He asked “Can I get something to eat somewhere nearby? “

I didn’t answer but shook my head. I was now expecting him to ask me for money to reach home! When we had reached my home I said “Please sit on that bench and wait till I come back.”

Leaving him I went in and spoke to my wife. She said “It is like you! Bring a somebody home in the dead of night for a stay! Suppose that fellow attacks us after coming in? Or robs us in the middle of the night? Or disappears with some of our belongings?  It isn’t safe to harbour a total stranger.”

My headache had got worse and I put the tablet into my mouth and swallowed it with water.

I said “So you think it would be risky to get that fellow in.”

“Certainly.”

“He looks harmless and I’m much stronger than him. Still I’ve made my decision. He has given me his details. I know the area where he resides. I’ll take the risk of putting him up for the night.”

“Suppose that is all false? What is the use of regretting about it later?”

“I’ll say our bedroom door is quite thick and will withstand any attack. And you know I keep the small crowbar near my bed for safety.”

“Still don’t think you’re taking a wise decision.”

I shrugged and said “The man needs something to eat.”

She said “Next he will ask for money and you will give it also. I consider it the height of foolishness.”

I said “The poor fellow is hungry. He won’t find anything on this covid night.”

She went into the kitchen and after a survey said “We haven’t finished dinner. After that there will be some leftovers.”

“We will give it to him.”

“Let that fellow to sit on the bench outside till he is called in.”

“I’ve already seated him there to wait for me.”

I joined my wife for dinner. The headache was still nagging and I ate without appetite. After that she showed me the leftovers and said “Only this will be available to him.”

I said ”Good enough. I’ll supplement it with a bun and a few biscuits.”

“Where will he eat?”

“Exactly here at this table. It’ll be clean after you clear the dishes.”

“Okay. I’m not serving him. You do it.”

I called Vaz in and said “We’ve some remnants for you to eat. Come in. You can wash there.”

He left his footwear outside and came in. I served him whatever was available and he gobbled up everything. I could see he was really hungry. He washed his plate and other empty dishes.

I said “Vaz, you can sleep in the outside verandah. Use that straw mat to sleep on.”

He said “Sir you’re providing much more than what I had sought. Very many thanks to you.”

All of us went to bed with my wife double checking our bedroom door. Vaz was up at 5 in the morning and I told him he could use the outside bathroom. He was out of the house before 6. Before leaving he said “I’m a lower middle class man with a family and can’t repay you in any way.”

I said “I didn’t ask you for anything. You wanted a place for the night and I provided it.”

He said “Even I wouldn’t have hosted a stranger the way you have done with me. I can only say that if you have any freight forwarding to do summon me and I’ll do whatever I can. I know my boss will allow it to be done free of cost for you after I explain the facts.”

A few weeks later Vaz came home and gave me a diary and calendar of the firm he worked for. He said “I’ll never forget how you welcomed and hosted an ordinary citizen, a perfect stranger like me. May the blessings of the Almighty be on you and your family. Last week my daughter was awarded her degree in medicine with distinction and has been offered a job in the prestigious KK Hospital. Sir, you have my phone numbers and address with you. Summon me in case of any need. I will be in touch.”

I hadn’t expected any return and was very happy with Vaz’s response.

END

June 02, 2021 08:11

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.