0 comments

Adventure Creative Nonfiction Holiday

It was on a summer,April fool that preparations had been planned on a big camp which was to be done behind the backyard.We were more than excited;meeting family members after a long time.Camping has always been the routine,year couldn't go by without having great times.

The enviroment had a beautiful scent of rose;filled with happiness but the silent all over the neighbourhood dropped like a bomb.The silence was everywhere;not even a single music could be heard.

There was powerage and everything in the neighborhood had come to a stand still.

We barely recognized how time flied;the clock strucking to 6pm as visitors started streaming in one after the other.I couldn't hide my joy as i hip hopped to go and welcome them.

Hey-welcome

it was my sister Gladwell together with her family;i couldn't believe she was right before me,hugging her so tightly.

The long table surrounded with chairs,candles on the table-

Wow! It was beautiful

It was great meeting with Grandpa Joe,he couldn't stop cracking jokes that my ribs were cracking.

" it's good to be together as a family -holding hands,looking up on the sky;the bright moon above our heads.

" look over there-i pointed towards the sky,the little star that shone so brightly.We couldn't stop gazing at the heavenly stars;excited as we spotted the little sisers.

" oh-it look so beauiful," grandpa Joe said

We made a camp fire;sitting around it as put words of music in our tongue-

" Twinkle twinkle little star how i wonder what you are-

The song brought more live around the environment;dancing round the circle.The world was evolving around us;my head was spinning after a long dance.

ha-ha-ha,sitting down

" Grandpa Joe,i didn't know you were a good dancer

" well i used to be a popular dancer during my days,and that's where i and your grand ma Maryann met

We were surprised by the short story told to us;hugging grandpa Joe so tightly.

The time had gone past 9 pm,no one felt to retire to bed for it was overnight camp,watching the heavenly stars.Suddenly,the moon turned to red;a sound of a bird was heard in the neighbouring bush.

Grandpa Joe couldn't stop groaning in pain,touching his chest .Worries engulfed around us;confusion of not knowing what was wrong with grandpa Joe.

" Grandpa Joe!grandpa Joe!

Grandpa Joe couldn't utter any words-c-call the doctor-someone call the doctor.

A light shone from the sky,it was a shooting star as it directly shoot into the backyard.The children were playing when they realized unusual thing;moving closer and closer coming across a bright light in shape of a door.

mummy!mummy!mummy!

They cried out to their attention;the voices couldn't be heard.A little girl in a white garment appeared;on her right was a rod.

The children in fear couldn't stand there and just watch,as they took off on their heels.

Melissa kept on pulling my dress all the time-mummy-mummy

i didn't listen to what my daughter had to tell me,worries all shown through our eyes.Tears that flowed down our cheeks like a water fall.

" how long will the ambulance take,to arrive?

The little girl in a white garment;stood right before us where we spotted her presence-wo-wo,and who are you?

The little girl couldn't speak a word,moving closer as she bent over to Grandpa Joe.She held his hand,the briight light was all over grandpa Joes'

Grandpa Joe opened his eyes staring around-what happened to me?

Grandpa Joe-

We couldn't hide our happiness,giving him alots of kisses all over his face.The little girl stood at a distance,with a warm smile.I moved close to her;shortening myself to her height while holding her shoulders.

who are you?

My name is Maryann

All this while the litle girl was able to speak;and we thought she couldn't.Grandpa Joe stood on his feet-did you say Maryann,the name of my beloved wife

The little girl stared wih a warm smile as she transformed into an old lady-Grandma!

Grandpa Joe was excited as he moved close-oh!how i wished you were here my dear Maryann.

Grandma Maryann smiled-" am always wih you my family

A sound of bell rang;the sond that no one knew where it came from.Following it with our ears;everywhere was filled with the echo of the bell.

i have to go-Grandma Maryann was bidding us goodbye,painful to say goodbye watching her drift away in beautiful stars into the sky.The star blinked at us,waving towards the sky.

An ambulance came to an halt right infront of the gate;men carrying stretcher walked into the backyard-where is the patient?

Grandpa Joe with his walking stick walked towards the men,greeting them in a joyful mood.

The men didn't know what was going on here thinking that maybe it was a false alarm.

I patted grandpa Joes' shoulder-He was the patient

The men couldn't fill the puzzle-how?the caller told us that he was serious at the point of death.

my face was showered with lots of smile-do you believe in God's angels and miracles? The two men looked at each other with no words to spit it out;nodding their heads as a sign of no.

The two men were eager to hear that short story from us;putting down the stretcher and comfortably having a seat.The story moved them,tears over their eyes.Grandpa Joe stood up-it's a miracle,God used my dear wife to heal me.True this is a miracle.

There was power once again,all light up all over the neighbourhood.We continued camping in that fresh enviroment,singing from one song to another having some drinks to quench our thirst.

The sun started setting it;being 6 am in the morning cleaning up the backyard.Breakfast had been served as we had it in the middle of the garden with that refreshing scent from the rose flowers.Round and round the kids played happily,dogs barking. The moment together was a great experience, living in Alice in wonderland was like a dream come. The enviroment being filled with different colours of butterflies and birds;flying around us.The birds continued singing, creating a shape of love on top of our heads.

The love bond in our family was strong and attracted like a magnet; unseparable sticked together with a glue.Grandpa couldn't stop shaking his head,as he took a bite of sandwich. He was enjoying his breakfast.

" Grandpa Joe, you are enjoying the sandwich_

grandpa Joe smiled back_oh!oh!it's so delicious

The time had gone so fast;the clock that couldn't be reversed behind,the moment to bid each other goodbye.The camp well spent came out with a result of a great miracle.

September 11, 2020 07:50

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.