3 comments

Happy

Elsie Bridger looked out the train window. The normally beautiful scenery was a blur of green, blue, and white, quite an unbecoming combination.

The train was going to the West, the land of promises, of mountains, of prairies, and deserts. None of which Elsie particularly liked, but she didn't get a choice. She was riding on an orphan train, a train that would bring her to a family looking for a child to adopt.

Elsie was eleven, as well as three other girls on the train. They all shared a small room with three bunks, a washstand, and a small bathroom. Elsie's roommates were all nice girls, she supposed, but they weren't anything like their patron.

The patron's name was Miss Clara Greene. She was extremely kind and loving towards the children. Miss Greene was very pretty too, with creamy skin and chocolate-colored hair that every girl envied. Miss Greene told them about her childhood in Ireland, where she tended the sheep and played in the meadows. The younger children especially loved those stories.

Craning her neck, Elsie tried to see where they were going. A huge mountain loomed over the train, with only a tiny hole cut into it for a tunnel. They were approaching the mountain faster and faster. Elsie screamed as she realized the tunnel wasn't going to fit their train. Her bunkmates quickly realized what was happening as they looked out their windows.

Then, the train hit the mountain, and everything went dark.

>>>>

The mysterious girl's eyes fluttered open. She tried to sit up, but Rose gently pressed her shoulders back down to the grass.

"Where-where am I?" the girl asked, her vision still blurry.

"You are in Auroria," I said, stroking the girl's hair away from her face. "I am Scarlett, and this is Rose, my sister." The girl blinked again until she could see clearly.

"Auroria? Where is that? Who are you?" she asked frantically trying to get up. Rose gently pushed her down again.

"Shush, child. You are very hurt from your fall," Rose murmured, calming the poor girl. She must be traumatized.

"Auroria is the farthest eastern kingdom in the land," I told her. "Rose and I are the princesses of Auroria. Where are you from, exactly?"

"I'm from. . .from. . .I don't remember," the girl said. She was getting more frightened by the minute. Rose was desperately trying to calm the girl, but then she passed out again. Rose sighed.

"I wonder how she got here. I wish we could help her, but I am afraid I cannot get her calm. We must bring her to the castle and get the doctors on her," Rose said, picking up the girl. We headed towards the castle.

>>>>

Rose and I sat outside the castle's royal hospital waiting patiently for the girl to wake up. Just then, Doctor Mae came out.

"Your Highnesses, the girl is awake and doing better. We believe she was just traumatized when she passed out. You may come to see her," Doctor Mae said, motioning towards the infirmary.

I sat by the girl's bed. She wasn't as pale as when we found her, which was definitely a good sign.

"Do you remember anything about what happened before you appeared here? Your name, your parents, your home?" Rose asked calmly. The girl closed her eyes and clenched her face, struggling to recall anything.

"I . . .my name is Elsie. . ." she tried.

"That is a wonderful start," Rose prodded.

"I was on a train. . .going to the. . . West. . ." she added.

"Anything else?" Rose tried. Elsie relaxed her face.

"No." Rose patted her arm caringly.

"That is fine. We are going to leave now, but I promise we will be back to check on you in just a little bit," I told her. She looked at our dresses.

"Can I have a pretty dress like you?" Elsie asked hopefully.

"Of course!" Rose answered. I will get the tailors working on it, as well as getting you a guest room. Just wait, little Elsie. Soon you will be spoiled just like a princess would be.”

We left the room, our gowns sweeping the floor as we went. Doctor Mae nodded to us politely as we left. Once out of the infirmary, Rose started talking. 

“Scarlett, you tell Mother and Father about Elsie, and I will work on getting her a room and those gowns she asked for. Okay?” Rose said. 

“Okay. Let’s get to it, then,” I agreed, and we split up. 

Mother and Father’s suite wasn’t very far from the infirmary, as if they needed medical attention they could get there faster from their bedroom. I knocked on the door, three taps, the royal family’s code. 

Mother opened the door, and let me come inside their bedroom. It was the biggest bedroom in the castle, and lavishly decorated. 

“Hello, Scarlett,” Mother greeted me, sitting down in a plush red chair by the fireplace. 

“Hello, Mother. I would like you to meet a girl we found in the village. Rose and I found her while walking and she was in bad shape. Doctor Mae has fixed her up now, and we think she would enjoy meeting the queen,” I told Mother. She looked thoughtful. 

“Who is this girl? Do you know anything about her?” Mother asked, folding her hands in a queenly way. I guess I will have to learn how to do that if I am to be queen one day. 

“She doesn’t remember much, only that her name is Elsie and she was on a train until she woke up here,” I answered. Mother froze. 

“Her name was Elsie? How old is this ‘Elsie’?” Mother suddenly had a wave of questions. 

“She looks to be about twelve, maybe younger. Why do you ask? Do you know something about her that we don’t?” I asked, looking at Mother pointedly. She either didn’t notice or didn’t care. 

“I would very much like to meet Elsie,” Mother said finally, getting up. “When can I see her?” 

“As soon as Rose and the maids are done preparing her room. I will come to get you when it is time,” I told Mother. She nodded. 

“Yes, yes. Of course. Can your father come too? I believe he might take a certain interest in Elsie,” Mother said absentmindedly opening her bedroom door to let me out. 

“If Father wants to, he may come. I am sure Elsie will not mind,” I said as the door shut. I walked back to the infirmary, thinking about Mother. 

That was some strange encounter. Mother must know something about Elsie for her to respond like that. Oh well. The truth will probably come out when Mother sees Elsie tonight. 

I met Rose and Elsie outside the hospital. Elsie was still dressed in the clothes we found her in: a muddy gray t-shirt, and an even muddier navy skirt. 

“I was just going to take Elsie to see her new room and get her into the dresses the maids put together,” Rose said. 

“Perfect. Mother and Father are going to stop by sometime this afternoon,” I told Rose and Elsie. In a hushed whisper to my sister, I added, “Mother seemed quite anxious to see her.” Rose raised an eyebrow but said nothing more. 

“Why delay?” Rose asked everyone cheerfully. “We have much to do, Elsie. First, the dresses, then the room. You can pick the bedspread and sheets and whatever other furniture you would like.” Elsie grinned happily. I suspected that wherever Elsie came from, they did not treat her as well as we did. 

Elsie’s guestroom was not too far from the castle hospital, in case there was an emergency and medical attention was needed. It had a beautiful view of the castle gardens from the balcony. 

Soon enough, everything was ready. Elsie had a beautiful dress of sky blue silk that flowed like water from her shoulders to the floor. Elsie kept fondly stroking the material as if she’d never owned a nice piece of clothing in her life. Rose suspected she hadn’t. 

I left to go get Moher and Father. As soon as Mother heard why I was there, she found Father and we whisked off to the guestroom. Elsie was standing on the balcony with Rose, looking at the gardens and pointing out unusual clouds. They looked like sisters. 

As soon as Mother and Father saw Elsie, they rushed over to her, hugging her. Elsie seemed startled, and Rose looked at me for answers. I shook my head. I knew nothing more than my sister. 

“Elsie, oh Elsie!” Mother cried, a few lone tears escaping her eyes. Father was not crying, but you could tell on the inside he was. 

“Mother, can you explain this? Rose and I are a bit confused, and I suspect Elsie is too,” I intervened. Mother and Father quickly pulled away and stood up. 

“Scarlett, Elsie is your long-lost sister. About eleven years ago, I sent you both to your aunt’s house, because I was going to have a baby. Well, one night I put the baby to bed, and in the morning she was gone. We had guards dispatched everywhere, searching for her, but nobody ever found her. That baby girl is Elsie,” Mother said breathlessly. I gasped. So did Else. 

“I-I am a princess?” Elsie asked eagerly. Mother nodded vigorously. 

“Yes, dear. You are a princess.”

And as the sun set over Auroria, a family was reunited.

April 17, 2021 22:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Writer Maniac
11:55 Apr 22, 2021

Aww, this was a simple but very sweet story. I felt like you could have added more to it, it felt incomplete to me. Maybe a plot twist, or more of a thorough backstory. Maybe show Elsie going back to thank her patron, or inviting the other girls to the castle. Something to wrap up the story nicely. That's just my opinion. Otherwise, you have a very flowy writing style which makes me want to keep reading, so great job!

Reply

20:55 Apr 23, 2021

Thank you! When I finished it I also thought it was missing something, but I didn't know what so I just left it as it was. Thanks again for your feedback!

Reply

Writer Maniac
03:02 Apr 24, 2021

Happy to help :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.