0 comments

Fiction

I stood staring at my son Liam, he looked so cute in his vampire costume.  He was only two and knew nothing of what was happening.  I was still going to take him trick or treating.  I wanted to show off my gorgeous child.  He did not stay still for long and ran about the house.  Once he had learnt to walk, he started to run.  He could cause havoc as I chased after him.  

We were leaving in a few minutes, if I could hear his father in front of the mirror.  He had chosen to be the joker from the dark night and insisted he couldn’t get his green wig to sit properly.  It was easier dressing Liam.  Matthew came down the stairs and looked at me.  “I thought you were going to be catwoman?”

“I am,” I declared pointing to my ears.

I was wearing a short black dress and had cat ears, I even painted whiskers on my face.  “Funny, I thought catwoman like Anne Hathaway.  You know that tight black jumpsuit,” he confessed.

I rolled my eyes.  Was he insane.  Even before I got pregnant I couldn’t have fit into it.  I grabbed Liam and picked up his little Halloween bucket.  “Are we going or not? I snapped at Matthew.

“Let’s do this,” he said as he picked up his bucket, not noticing my annoyance.

We were walking out the door when I said to him. “Matthew do you really think you are going to get something?”

“Yes,” he declared and with that we went outside. Our usually quiet steet saw children all dressed up and were excited.  Mrs Brown was sitting on a park bench in her front garden. Sitting next to her was her husband dressed as a skeleton. He had a bag of chocolate and three little girls were taking their treats.

Matthew took Liam from my arms and made his way over to Mrs and Mr Browns.  I followed.  “Don’t you look amazing,” Mrs Brown said.

“Thank you,” Matthew said with a smirk on his face.

“She wasn’t talking about you,” I laughed.

“The sooner you realise all men are just little boys the easier it will be for you.  Look at Mr Brown here, he is seventy six and behaves like a five year old,” Mrs Brown told me.  

“It’s why you love me,” Mr Brown added.

With that he placed some chocolate in Liams bucket and some in Matthews.  Both Mrs Brown and myself laughed.  “His first treat,” I sighed.

“I got some special chocolate for Liam.  Made sure it was baby friendly.

Matthew and I bade farewell to the Browns.  “I got some chocolate,” Matthew said proudly.

Liam was squirming in Matthews arms and I took him.  We arrived at Melissa and Bernadette's house and they had gone all out.  Spiders were crawling down the house walls.  There were spider webs and even a small graveyard.  The sound of the cackling witch rang out.  “The house looks fantastic,” I announced.  “You certainly went all out.”  

“We did this for Liam, it’s his first trick or treat and it should be special,” Melissa explained.

Bernadette put some chocolate in Liams bucket and Matthew shook his bucket indicating  he wanted some chocolate.  Bernadette put chocolate in his bucket.  A red balloon floated by and I jumped a little.  “I told Bernie not to have the red balloon, they will scare the kids,” Melissa said, taking another chocolate and putting it in Liams bucket.

“I’m pennywise,” Bernadette stated.  “I have to have a red balloon.”

“Loon,” Liam said, seeing the balloon.

“I’m Jessica rabbit doesn’t mean I’m a cartoon,” Melissa snapped.

“Loon,” Liam said once more.

“No loon Liam.  He puts them in his mouth and his teeth pop them, then he screams blue murder,” I revealed.

We bid farewell to Melissa and Bernadette.  The next house was Mrs Bakers and to be avoid at all costs.  Even on other days the woman had a mean streak.  Last Christmas some of the kids got bikes and were riding them around the street.  She came out and ordered them to go home.  The children were frightened by her and raced to their houses.  “Are we going to visit the grinch?” Matthew joked.

As if she knew we were talking about her Mrs Baker came out of the house.  “I have nothing for you.  Be on your way,” she annoyingly said before marching back into the house.

We then moved on to the James family, although they had only a few directions their warm greeting made up for it.  Jessica was one of my dearest friends and had helped me through my pregnancy.  “Where are the boys?” I had to ask

“In their room playing video games.” Jessica replied,

Ted James put some chocolate in Liams bucket.  He noticed Matthews.  “I have something special for you.” 

Running back inside I wondered what it was.  Ted had a crazy sense of humour so it could be anything.  Coming back out he held up a beer.    He handed it to Matthew.  Liam tried to grab the bottle.  “No, that’s daddy’s special drink,” Matthew explained

Liam was getting restless so we said goodbye and moved on.  The next house was the Cooper family and I was unsure if we should go up.  The Coopers has a baby six weeks ago and I know from experience that it was a busy time.  The door flung open and Howard Cooper rushed out with chocolate on hand.  He put it all in Liams bucket.  “What about me?” Matthew asked.

“Really Matthew.  Thanks Howard please tell Esther if she needs my help.”

Howard smiled and rushed back into the house with the sound of a crying baby.  Liam was getting restless and I could see he was getting sleepy.

Matthew and I headed toward home.  Just as we walked in the door Liam fell asleep in my arms.  I took him upstairs to the nursery and attempted to remove his costume with waking him.  I got his pjs on before he started to grizzle.  I picked him up and rocked him back. to sleep.  It didn’t take long and I placed him in his cot.

I turned on his nightlight and walked out the door.  I made it downstairs to see Matthew eating his chocolate from his bucket.  “Don’t you dare eat Liams.”

“I’d rather eat you,” he joked as he got up and came toward me.

He held me in his arms and I was sad the day was over.  Liam will never have another first Halloween.

October 27, 2020 02:07

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.