18 comments

Fantasy Fiction Speculative

Messenger angels and demons throughout Heaven and Hell had begun spreading the word about an upcoming event that would determine, once and for all, the fate of the world. 


The polarization of life forms had proven to be a disastrous experiment. God and Satan had watched from their respective vantages and come to the same conclusion. The mortal realm simply could not figure things out on their own and it was time for drastic measures before Planet Earth was reduced to a fading memory, a blip on the radar of what once was.


The two sides had agreed on terms. They would meet somewhere in the middle, a place on Earth still considered pristine, untouched by mankind, where it could be guaranteed they would not be observed or disturbed. Following tense negotiations, it was agreed that they would meet in New Zealand, Fiordland National Park. The park contained 2.9 million acres of untouched land and was favorable in every way. A rainforest enclosure would suit both parties just fine.


The terms of the competition between good and evil would be this: God and Satan would each do their best to convince three neutral states to their way of thinking. The party succeeding in bringing two out of the three, the majority, to their side would be declared the victor and the loser would step down. The fate of mankind would be decided, henceforth unhindered, once and for all.


Both sides were allowed to have a Second. The Second could advise their Lord, but only when a break was called. Both sides could exercise a total of three breaks each. 


The competition would be overseen by Archangel Raguel, Angel of Justice and Harmony. For the competition, Archangel Raguel would set Harmony aside, unless needed to suppress any unsportsmanlike conduct, and would focus more on instituting Justice to ensure fairness of the proceedings.


A panel of two angels and two demons were randomly chosen to determine unanimously what states would participate in the challenge and neither God nor Satan were apprised ahead of time what they would be faced with.


* * *


At the prescribed time and place, everything was in order. Spectators were limited, a mere handful of volunteers. Neither set, angels nor devils, enjoyed being in the other’s company and, as it was, kept a wide berth between them. The entire universe would eventually know the outcome, but this was a rare opportunity to watch history being made – or, perhaps, being made history.


The two Supreme Beings had makeshift thrones prepared of hollowed tree trunks with vines woven into comfortable armrests and padded seats.  The lush canopy of the treetops allowed occasional beams of sunlight to shine on the esteemed, sober gathering and birdsong was limited, as if in recognition of the seriousness of what was about to take place.


Archangel Raguel was given the signal that it was time to begin. 


“My Lords, it is my distinct honor and privilege to be here. We have gone over the guidelines and I shan’t belabor the matter, but I will remind all who are present, no interference. We know what is to be determined here today and I expect all will conduct themselves accordingly. If you are not confident you can keep your reactions in check, you should exit now. No one will think any less of you.”


At this, one of the devils disappeared with a poof and a puff of black smoke. Satan took note, his serpentine eyes narrowed.


“And so, let us bring out our first contestant. Lords, your first challenge is the state of . . . Indifference.”


At this, a large flat tree stump covered with moss became occupied with a nondescript, sexless being. It possessed a passive demeanor and expressionless face.


“You both will have unlimited time and shall continue until one of you succeeds. Ready. Set. GO.”


Both God and Satan began to speak. They frequently spoke over each other but it didn’t seem to matter. The target, Indifference, couldn’t escape the meaning behind each word. The real test would be whether it could be swayed.


“God, that is I, created the world and everything in it out of love, declaring my creations good and blessing it.”


Satan’s voice had noticeably taken on an alluring, seductive tone.


“Did God really say you should not eat the fruit from any of the trees in the garden? No. For God knows when you eat from it, your eyes will be open and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.” 


“God, that is I, showed my love for mankind in particular by making you, them, in my image and entrusting them to be caretakers of the world.”


“I, Satan, know how to put question marks where God puts periods. Do you? More importantly, should you? Haven't you a mind of your own?”


“In the beginning, I created the heavens and the earth. You are my handiwork, created to do good works, which I prepared in advance for you to do.”


“It is said I, Satan, or more particularly, Satan’s smoke found its way into God’s temple through some crack. Do you think that could happen if I were not meant to be there? Think about it.”


“The Lord is the everlasting God, the creator of the ends of the earth. I will not grow tired or weary, and my understanding no one can fathom.”


“Yeah, well, try understanding this. Can you fathom your world is caving in on itself? Nice job.”


“Isn’t that a penalty, Raguel?” God turned to the Archangel.


Raguel consulted some notes he had brought. “It’s close, but you are allowed to strike back, my Lord.” 


“Sticks and stones, Dark One. I won’t be goaded into making personal attacks when the existence of mankind hangs in the balance, though I doubt you'd miss an opportunity to recruit however many innocent souls you could, without conscience. Do you even recognize the word, 'conscience'? Any thoughts to what it means?”


“Oh, aren’t we the pious one! And whose bright idea was it to rain forty days and forty nights and nearly blot out existence altogether, singlehandedly?”


“Oh, I tend to think it worked out quite well actually, looked at with an impartial eye. Served its purpose, you might say. How about using a little hindsight yourself, Know-it-all? Why must I clarify everything for you?”


“Hah! So, you actually possess the audacity to sit there and pretend all is well? You do know what we’re doing and why we’re here, don’t you? A touch of dementia sinking in these days, Oh, Great Almighty? You may want to rethink your title, given all the evidence to the contrary.”


A sharp inhale could be heard. All eyes turned to Indifference. It had an indignant gaze fixed on God.


“You’re not going to take that, are you? Say something!”


Raguel spoke up.


“We have a winner!  The Lord God has managed to win over Indifference!  Thank you, Indifference, that will be all.”


"Whatever," shrugged Indifference.


Poof! 


“And now, our next contestant is something we’ve all been exposed to over time and I think we are all anxious to witness how this one will turn out. Ready? Let’s bring out Ignorance!”


Nothing.


“Ignorance? You’re up!”


There, in the midst of sputtering sparks and a blast of purple smoke, suddenly appeared Ignorance.


“I got lost. Am I in the right place?”


This being was nothing more than a shapeless lump that lacked both form and substance.


“Happy to see you made it, Ignorance. Just stay put now and remember what I told you about the rules.”


“Duh, yup.”


“Yes, well, shall we begin?”


“Get on with it, will you?” Satan snarled.


“Ready, set . . . GO.”


“Let the little children come to me and do not hinder them,” began God, “for the Kingdom of God, my kingdom belongs to you. Though the Devil's built himself a nice little kingdom, hasn't he? Plenty of Hellfire and brimstone. Design the place yourself, Lucifer?”


“I warn you, and don’t ever forget, I have my miracles, too. I have power. I have legions. I have it all.”


“Not all, Dark One. You lie and you forget who you spar with. You cannot touch my light. It will end you.”


“So much babble and blather! Just who are you trying to convince? You come out spouting myths about children? And how many have we watched suffer, perish, and all in your name?”


“Your tricks are useless here, you know. You may as well turn your attention to that rock over there for all the effect it has on those purest of heart and soul.”


“Oh, how poetic, Divine Savior! I have my own brand of purity and it’s grown more popular than you ever dreamed, is that not so?”


“Delusion, smoke and mirrors, all contained within your arsenal of self-perceived need for destruction and damnation. If you ever really saw what you are, you’d run to me and beg forgiveness on bended knee.”


“Oh, and I suppose you’d grant me forgiveness if I called you Father?”


God had only a smile as his answer.


Satan rolled his eyes. “Why, Goodness and Mercy, let us bless your bleeding heart and please hold on while I take a moment to bless my lucky stars while I'm at it. Aren’t you just the best thing since sliced Wonder bread!”


A low chuckle came from where Ignorance sat. It was pointing to Satan and holding a hand over its mouth, suppressing more giggles.


“And we have a winner! Satan was able to win over Ignorance in what I’d term a close competition.  Thank you, Ignorance. On your way, now, and try not to get lost.”


“Uh . . .”


“Bye, Ignorance. Thank you.”


“I can go?”


“Yes. Please.”


Poof!


Raguel resumed, “Well, this is an interesting development. We are now at the tie-breaker round. We have one more contestant. And I’d like to note that neither Lord has yet needed to break, so both have three at their disposal. So, are we ready for the third challenge?”


“Yes, my son.”


“Get on with it!”


"I shall now call in . . . Compromise.”


The two Lords looked at each other. Neither had anticipated this.


With a poof of yellow smoke, there on the mossy stump sat a being, upright and alert, looking very much at ease.


Raguel began, “All right now, ready? Set . . .” 


“Break! I'd like a break!” Satan raised a talon and turned to his second, Malphas.


“You have five minutes, Dark Lord, starting now.”


* * *


“What do you know about this one, Malphas? I’ve never considered it. I'm not even sure what it means!”


“Well, I may be able to surmise a little, but few in your legions have experienced or had need for it. Demons tend to be all in from the get-go, but there are some that waffled a bit along the way.”


“So, how does it work?”


“Let me see if I can put this in plain terms. Compromise is like giving in, but just enough to make a situation work. It’s sort of like self-sacrifice but only enough to make something you want to happen, happen.”


Satan was listening intently.


“But that’s stupid.  I wouldn’t know the first thing how to go about it!”


“Hmm. Let’s try this. Think back, my Lord, to any sort of defeat you’ve experienced in the past . . .”


Satan’s eyes flashed fury and Malphas felt the heat. He quickly continued on.


“Or, better yet, say you suffered a touch of disappointment for whatever reason, right? That’s how compromise feels. You give up a little but you gain much more in the long run.”


“I still think it’s stupid.”


“Well, that may be but if you want to win this thing . . .”


Satan sighed.


“Is this something we should appeal? Does this give Mr. God Almighty over there any sort of advantage, you think?”


“Oh, I think not, Sire. He’s over there now conferring with his second, Seraphim, and looking very uncomfortable. I doubt he’s any better at this than you. You can take him.”


Raguel spoke. “Time's up!”


Satan grinned maniacally. 


“I’m ready.”


God returned to his throne.


“As am I.”


“Ready. Set. Go!”


God began. “No powers exist in Heaven or on Earth to separate a believer from the love of God, that is, my love.”


“Well then, that leaves me out, you pompous . . .”


“BREAK!”   


This time, Malphas had jumped in.


“That’s two breaks for Satan. Five minutes, starting now,” Raguel announced.


* * *


“This had better be good!” Satan stormed over to Malphas, his face red, livid.


“You won’t engage compromise by attack, my Liege. You must show the appearance of meeting your opponent halfway. Otherwise, you’re doomed to failure.”


“But why can’t I just be myself? I won’t be convincing otherwise.”


“Oh, and you’ve never had to fake anything in all the many centuries of your existence, right? I seem to recall a certain very convincing serpent and an apple.”


“That came about using a spell. I don’t want to risk being disqualified.”


“Of course. I’m not suggesting anything other than using your legendary wiles and powers of persuasion. It seems to me you haven’t had much trouble getting what you’ve wanted in the past.”


“Truth. I think I’m beginning to see what you’re getting at, Malphas.”


The two devils were silent.


“I’m ready.”


“You can do this.”


“Watch me.”


Raguel raised a hand. “Time’s up!”


When everyone was back in their places, Raguel signaled for them to continue.


Satan jumped right in.


“You know, there may exist some common ground here. I don’t see why we couldn’t work together and come up with a solution to fit both of our goals.”


“And we know that for those who love God, me, all things work together for good, for those who are called according to their purpose.”


“And that's just another way of saying each unto their own, have I got that right? And haven’t I always been a champion of letting those whose paths I cross be themselves and join me with all that free will that you never lifted a finger to stop them from obtaining? And, by the way, just what was the Tree of Knowledge doing there in the first place? I’ve been wondering. . .”


Satan could hear Malphas clear his throat.


“Or, put differently, if we could stop pitting ourselves against each other, wouldn’t we have a better chance at saving the Earth and its inhabitants?”


“Since when have you had any interest in saving anything, or anyone, outside of yourself?”


With this, they could both hear God’s Second, Seraphim, softly clear her throat.


“You know,” God chuckled, shaking his head, “I keep forgetting, your name was changed to Satan, which means ‘adversity.’  And what is the purpose of adversity if not to provide contrast. Perhaps I wouldn’t be what I am without the likes of you for comparison.”


Compromise drew itself up and continued listening closely.


Satan grinned at this. “Oh now, do let's be careful, Lord God. You came dangerously close just now to friendly banter. You don’t want your reputation for goodness and light besmirched by teaming up with the likes of me.”


“Oh, I believe my reputation could withstand even being seen in the same room with the likes of you, a fallen angel but an angel nonetheless. Have you forgotten how far back we go?”


“Hah! I remember it all as if it happened yesterday. So, what do you say?”


“Are you saying what I think you’re saying?”


“Come. Take a walk on the wild side.”


“Well, now, and I did just intimate that I’m better perceived with you in the picture, did I not?”


Compromise was standing on the stump, cheering for both of them.


Raguel was puzzled. Compromise had been moved by both God and Satan. What does that do to the challenge?


Raguel announced, “We have a tie! A bit unforeseen but there it is.  Thank you, Compromise. You served a very enlightening purpose here today.”


“Well, now, let’s not be too hasty,” God interjected. “I have an idea.”


And, then, for the first time in over 6,000 years, those present witnessed good and evil huddled together in common purpose.  


At one point, they called Compromise over to consult. Then, following just a few more minutes, the huddle broke. God and Satan together addressed the group.


“Given the fact the contest has ended in a tie . . .” so began God.


“And given the fact that you’re witnessing the two most powerful forces ever to rule the world since the beginning of time . . .”


“Lucifer, tone it down,” God whispered.


Compromise nodded in agreement.


“We have both decided now is a good time to work together and fix this world, or at least do all within our power to set it right.”


The mood of the rainforest gathering had turned from a competitive one to that of brotherhood and union. 


Compromise had made a difference.


* * *


Back in Heaven, God and Satan were in God’s palace office, having a celebratory splash of Euphoria. They together had decided they should get right to work. 


Compromise was just a short distance away, looking as content as ever.


“So, what’s the first order of business, do you think?”


“Well, Lord God, it’s a sorry lot, what they call their world leaders down there, but I think it's the best place to start.”


“I agree, your Darkness. It’s been slim pickings for a long time. I don’t think a soul who could actually have a positive impact has yet been born. I’ll have to work a little harder on that.”


“Good idea, Lord. In the meantime, I think I know a good place for us to accompany Compromise and pay a little visit.”


"I'm thinking Kings and Queens.”


“Prime Ministers.”


“All the Presidents.”


“Politicians.”


“Around the world.”


“Did you ever think that you and I, good and evil . . .”


“Evil and good.”


“Sure. That we would be the gold standard for compromise?”


“Never. We shouldn’t test it though. We can’t ever let this little guy out of our sight, or the whole thing might blow up in our faces.”


“And not just ours.”


“Let’s not forget that."


"Agreed."


"So, what do you say, Compromise? Ready to get out there and work a little of your magic?”


Compromise gave a hearty thumbs up.


March 12, 2023 01:36

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

18 comments

Delbert Griffith
11:34 Mar 16, 2023

Oh, Susan! Your trademark wit and snark combined with the gravitas of the issues made for an enchanting read. The conceptual style is wonderful; you allowed the story to come out organically from a debate format. I think you wrote a tale that is much deeper than the parts convey. Put it all together and you have a treatise on the human condition, and how the gods may see us. Riveting. Just riveting, my friend.

Reply

Susan Catucci
17:08 Mar 16, 2023

I wish you could see the smile on my face, Del - though you can probably feel the glow. What wonderful words. I think this one's my personal favorite because it was a place for my own frustration to go - and there has to be a reason I always feel so great after writing something like this. Like, hey, let's give common sense a try, shall we? Well, if it's not going to happen out there, I'll just have to create my own. Maybe someone will hear. And you always do - you really read and understand and are so dang generous. I appreciate yo...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michelle Oliver
22:42 Mar 13, 2023

This is such a great story Susan. Clever witty dialogue, well defined and relatable characters and a depth of message and meaning that lifts it from cute and funny into thought provoking and engaging. “Oh now, do let's be careful, Lord God. You came dangerously close just now to friendly banter.” Love it! “Compromise is like giving in, but just enough to make a situation work.” Poor devil has literally no concept of this concept. I kind of feel sorry for him, he’s trying so hard, but his nature keeps pushing to the forefront and I laughed ...

Reply

Susan Catucci
00:55 Mar 14, 2023

Meaningful, purposeful feedback, Michelle. You perceived all that I intended to convey in a, hopefully, palatable, entertaining form - a game show of all game shows. I think its time has come. If not, it was a ton of fun to take a few personal observations and apply them to a trendy, modern format. (Sound familiar?) And, if there's no fun or substance, what would be the point? I appreciate you, Michelle. Lots to enjoy going forward (and what a great foundation, knowing at least we have divinity going for us. Not bad at all)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
20:47 Mar 13, 2023

Indifference was a nice surprise, as I assumed state meant country. Ignorance was amusing, particularly the arrival and departure. But then Compromise was a delightfully unexpected twist :) It leans into that question, "can good exist without evil?" And then of course, ending with compromise and targeting politicians is particularly relevant to right now, where it seems like so much effort goes into radicalization. On the other hand, people have probably been complaining about their politicians since time immemorial :)

Reply

Susan Catucci
22:01 Mar 13, 2023

So true, Michal, but when faced what might be perceived as a tipping point - as history teaches, happens from time to time - life's swinging pendulum of perceived extremism might want to give it a rest and let a fresh, new outlook take rein. In many courts and law offices, it's called settlement. In order to achieve it, everyone walks away a little unhappy, but the bleeding stops. That's the goal.

Reply

Michał Przywara
22:54 Mar 13, 2023

Oh, definitely! Ironic, because what's that saying about good politics? It's when everyone leaves the table not entirely satisfied with the deal (as opposed to good business, where everyone does leave satisfied). It's just worrying how often we reset things in the court of war.

Reply

Susan Catucci
00:06 Mar 14, 2023

It's a chess match with much at stake. But, still, seems to be a timeless game people play.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Laurel Hanson
17:45 Mar 13, 2023

Good Heavens! This is remarkable. It is witty, funny, fast-paced, and also really thoughtful. You used the prompt to tell the requisite story as a springboard to have a really solid philosophical debate -- kudos to you for that. This is in the tradition of some really great writers from C.S. Lewis to Neil Gaiman and I loved it. I just really liked the whole tone and the characterization developed in the dialog of the two opposites. Some of the things I loved: "history being made – or, perhaps, being made history." Ha! Witty. “Why, Good...

Reply

Susan Catucci
19:08 Mar 13, 2023

Oh, please, I just read the farmer girl and the caterpillar and I'm reduced to a puddle of admiration. All it takes is a spark and we somehow manage to find one somewhere. There's plenty of awe to go around. (But also, a thousand thanks for your awesome remarks. oxo)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Suma Jayachandar
13:12 Mar 13, 2023

Susan, This piece has all the elements of a Catucci tale- a very creative take on the prompt, clever syntax and humour. What I really liked in this story was the effortless amalgamation of mythical and contemporary elements with biting satire to boot. Excellent work!

Reply

Susan Catucci
13:24 Mar 13, 2023

Hahaha - I hadn't considered that, but you're absolutely right. We are developing as individual writers that appeal - hopefully - to as many minds as can be reached. I think of your work as Suma artistry (much more than mere words) and I would be honored to have that sort of definition. "Catucci Tales," thus far, is the highlight of my day. Thank you, Suma. You are a friend.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Darryl Roberts
01:35 Mar 13, 2023

Very imaginative take on the prompt, I really enjoyed this. The throat clearing bit gave me a good chuckle.

Reply

Susan Catucci
12:16 Mar 13, 2023

Thanks, Darryl. I'm not sure where these sparks of imagination and concept come from, but I'm so happy when they do - and then voices like yours enjoy the outcome. I'm grateful. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wendy Kaminski
15:31 Mar 12, 2023

This was so excellent, Susan! I loved the idea, and your execution was just perfect... what an original concept, too! Really great stuff. :)

Reply

Susan Catucci
15:43 Mar 12, 2023

Hahaha - mutual admiration, Wendy - I just read and commented on your Big 3-0. Lordy, don't we have fun! Glad you enjoyed Showdown - subtle message in there, you probably noticed. :)

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
18:32 Mar 12, 2023

Absolutely, I kinda liked it too! :) (A lot, actually!)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Lily Finch
03:06 Mar 12, 2023

Susan, what a great tale. Enjoyed every bit! LF6.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.