CASE OF THE STOLEN NOSE RING

Submitted into Contest #37 in response to: Write a story about a valuable object that goes missing.... view prompt

2 comments

Mystery

CASE OF THE STOLEN NOSE RING

That evening I was absorbed in reading a monograph on a remedy for snake bite when Martha came in and said “Dr.Watson, the chimney sweep wants a word with you.”

I said “At this hour! Why?”

“May be he expects a tip for the job he has done.”

 I said “Alright, let him in.”

In a moment a blackened chimney sweep in a dirty cap stood before me carrying his special broom. I heard him say “Watson, I’m glad you didn’t recognize me.” I immediately saw it was my friend Sherlock Holmes in disguise. He said “I’ve to be out of here in a minute. I’ve to flee from England at least for a while. You know who is after me! I’ve booked a voyage to India for the two of us by the MONMOUTH leaving on Monday – that is in two days. Pack up and join me on board.” He was out of the place immediately. That was how I was on the MONMOUTH travelling with Holmes.

After we had sailed, Holmes said “Watson, Mr.Jivan, Maharajah of Kidderpore has offered to host us. I’ve known him since the time he was a student at college in Balliol. He is now back in Kidderpore ruling his subjects.”

I said “Holmes, you do have strange friends!”

“I agree. Jivan tells me the diamond nose ring of his family deity has been stolen. He wants it back as it has been with the deity for ages. May be we could help him find it. My friend, the game is afoot!” Handing me a piece of paper he said “Read this. We can talk details later.”

I settled down in my cabin and read the paper given to me by Holmes: ‘Kidderpore is a sovereign state in India owing loyalty to Queen Victoria. Its troops have fought for the British. Legend has it that the deity of Kidderpore is over 1000 years old and is worshipped by people of the entire State. It is believed that the nose ring of the deity which has a large diamond in it was gifted to the hereditary head of the State and it is said that as long as the diamond spreads its lustre, Kidderpore will last. Now that the nose ring is missing there are rumours: Jivan could be murdered, that famine could strike, and the like! Jivan wants the nose ring to be found and restored on the deity. It is also said that Dev who is head of the neighbouring State of Belapur could be after the jewel so that Kidderpore will be weakened and he could, may be get to rule over this State also.The missing nose ring has caused a lot of unhappiness in the minds of devotees of the goddess.’

After we had reached Kidderpore, and had settled in the sumptuous and luxurious space given to us to stay in, Holmes and I discussed about the ring,

I said “It’s surely the handiwork of Dev of Belapur.”

Lighting up his pipe Holmes said “Let us not conclude that way in a hurry. We must talk it over first with Jivan. He has invited us to his palace at 10 tomorrow morning. “

The following day Holmes and I were in Jivan’s audience chamber. Jivan made enquiries about comfort in our lodgings and stay, and then said “You know about the stolen nose ring. I would like to have it back, if possible before the forthcoming festival of the deity. It is a once- in- a -year event and is very much looked forward to by the people here.”

I asked “Your Highness, is the nose ring always left on the deity?”

“Yes. So far nobody has touched it. It is strange that it went missing. Of course I’ve diamonds to make a new nose ring, but it won’t have the power of the original.”

Holmes asked “Do you think that Dev of Belapur could have a hand in the disappearance of the nose ring?”

“I don’t think so as he is dealing with serious unrest in his State.”

Holmes asked about people who had access to enter the temple, and Jivan gave details. Now refreshments were served. We had dishes to suit an English breakfast with tea all of which I enjoyed.

Then Jivan said “You’re in time to see fire walking which is the principal event of the festival of our deity. Workers are preparing the venue.”

Holmes said “Thank you for keeping us informed Mr.Jivan. I hope we haven’t taken too much of your time.”

“No. My court begins only at 11. There is enough time.”

After we were out of Jivan’s palace, Holmes said “Watson let us now go and see the temple.” We walked some distance when we saw work going on alongside our path: The ground had been cleared and digging was going on over an area about 10 feet wide and a length of a little beyond. “Watson,  workers are creating the fire walking area for the forthcoming festival. I can see they are digging about a foot into the ground to create a bed where the live coal would be placed. I suppose the devotees would then walk or run in bare feet over the live coals.”

I said “Unbelievable! How can people with unprotected feet walk over live coals!”

“By faith. We are going to see it during the festival. “

“We’ve been walking some distance now, but there is no sign of a temple.”

“See the trees there? I’m sure that would be the grove in which the temple is said to be located.”

We soon sighted the magnificent temple. It was quite big and had eight sides. At the entrance we saw a giant of a man standing looking at us with a curious expression. He had a large pigtail on his head and wore a saffron dress. Holmes said “I’m sure that is the head priest. He seems to be letting us in. Jivan must’ve told him to expect us.” We left our shoes outside in the space for them, and made our way in. In a large chamber inside we saw the idol. It was a splendid granite sculpture which looked like a Hindu female. It was very tall seeing which Holmes wondered about how the priest could access the idol.

I said “Holmes, see the rope ladder slung from the ceiling? It could be used. The priest could use a portable platform for rituals.”

Holmes was silent. Then he said “Remember Jivan told us that free access to the temple was to royalty, which is to himself and his family, the Chief Minister, the head priest, and the two women who cleaned the area on alternate days.  He told us that none of them were suspects. I wonder who else we can suspect!”  He said pointing “You can see the nose of the idol is empty. There is only a hole where there should’ve been the nose ring. The idol is incomplete now.”

We went round the temple admiring the architecture and workmanship. I said “Let us get back. I’m hungry.”

Our place of stay was in a distant area and I felt we should’ve agreed to use the phaeton that was offered .However we walked on. On our way we saw little girls playing hopscotch in the shade on the street. Holmes stood a moment watching a small boy doing gymnastics besides walking a tight rope. After lunch Holmes played on his violin for a while. He never forgot his favourite musical instrument wherever he went! Then he turned to me and said “Let us now go and meet the Chief Minister. I was told he would usually be free after lunchtime. His office is nearby.”

The Chief Minister spoke good English and welcomed us warmly. He said “Jivan told me he had given all details needed by you.”

Holmes said “True. Will the forthcoming festival of the deity attract a large crowd?”

“Yes .Firewalkers are a devoted lot. They will worship the deity on the auspicious festival day and be blessed by the head priest. Then they will walk the fire - both men and women. You’re lucky to be here at this time when you can see the famed fire walk festival.” Refreshments in the form of sherbet and sweets were now served which I relished.

Holmes asked “Will the chief priest also fire walk?”

“No. He has some personal problems and we’re lucky he is still officiating.”

Holmes asked “What kind of personal problems?”

The CM said “He has been married years now but hasn’t produced a child. He had recently taken a very young second wife and is coping with problems at home. With the bickering at home he can’t concentrate on the goddess which is essential for the fire walk to be fulfilled by him.”

Holmes said “Mister CM, thank you for your time.”

Next day Holmes said “Watson, the festival of the deity is the day after tomorrow.  On that auspicious day in the midst of the fire walking ceremony there could be a breakthrough.”

 I shook my head saying “I don’t understand you.”

 He merely said “It would be apparent to you in due course when the jewel is replaced.”

On the festival day, we had an early lunch and went to the fire walking site. A large crowd had gathered with those who would fire walk, besides watchers. The fire pit was ready with live coals and coconut fronds. The heat was great. The fire walk started without ceremony. Four of the walkers walked the fire with loud chants when there was applause. I was astonished! As more walkers joined in, Holmes whispered to me “Let us get out of the heat for a while.”

I wanted to stand there and watch but Holmes pulled me away and we were soon inside the open temple which was empty and cool within. There we lay hidden. In a few minutes, a small boy walked in with a bag in hand. He quickly pulled down the rope ladder suspended from the ceiling and climbed it. Holmes caught hold of the boy. In the boy’s bag was the nose ring.

Holmes urged the boy in sign language to put the nose ring in place on the deity. That done, holding the boy captive, Holmes said “Watson, this boy was the one who had been rope walking on the street when we had walked from the temple to our quarters that day. I noticed the birth mark on his face. I’ll leave the interrogation to Jivan himself. I’ll only tell him the nose ring has been found and has been put in place.”Jivan who was at the fire walk site was brought in to the temple when Holmes briefly told him about having found the nose ring brought by the boy. The boy’s mother was brought in as well. We were told she was one of the two women who cleaned the temple. Jivan questioned the boy and his mother and translated for us: ”This woman got her son to steal the nose ring for a small amount at the head priest’s bidding. He had asked her to keep the ring hidden with her for the time being.”

The head priest who was at the fire walk event was next brought before Jivan.  After questioning him, Jivan explained to us: “The priest had problems with his young second wife who wanted dresses, jewels, silverware, household utensils and so on beyond what her husband could afford. So he had decided to sell the nose ring to Dev in Belapur. However he could not contact Dev.  He couldn’t sell the jewel locally either as he would be exposed.”  Jivan again spoke to the woman and told us: “Seeing the commotion caused by the missing nose ring, the cleaning woman wanted to put back the jewel the same way it had been taken out”. Jivan was happy at the outcome. Holmes said to me “Watson, when I heard the head priest had trouble at home due to the second wife, I saw the connection he could’ve with the cleaning woman. I made enquiries and anticipated return of the jewel as Dev wasn’t involved. The boy who did gymnastics gave me the idea that such a one could be used to take or refix the nose ring. Seeing the consternation created about the missing nose ring I felt sure it would be replaced. The cleaning woman sent her son and did it.”

The next morning I slept late. When I woke up there was a note for me from Holmes: ‘Watson, I’ve decided to visit Tibet and by the time you’re awake I would be on my way a long distance. You’ve been booked back to England by the Dutch liner GRONINGEN leaving port next Tuesday. See you in Baker Street’.

END


April 15, 2020 11:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Lynn Penny
06:42 Apr 24, 2020

Awesome story! I loved the plot, I think it goes great with the prompt. My only advice would be to space out the paragraphs, the text gets a bit hard to read when it's all clumped together. Great job!

Reply

Show 0 replies
00:42 Apr 25, 2020

THANKS FOR THE COMMENTS. HAVE NOTED THE ASPECTS TO BE CORRECTED.UNKNOWN USER

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.