27 comments

Holiday Romance

Christmas is the most wonderful time of the year.

Anastasia looked around her bakery: Festive lights were strung across the walls. Tables were set with menorahs (Candle holders that represented Hanukkah). Even the words, Sweet ♥️ Bakery was surrounded by a big wreath. She even attached mistletoe to a string and attached the string to the door, so whenever someone opened the door, it would droop above their head(s). Perfect for couples.

Anastasia smiled. This was the time of year she sprouted devil horns when it came to mistletoe arrangement.

Sweet ♥️ Bakery was a popular bakery for couples to come and hang out. Valentine's day was always a day to look forward to here: Couples coming in and the air filled with that lovey-dovey feeling.

But Anastasia loved Christmas just as much, the festivities, the bright spirits, children looking forward to tearing open the oversized packages piling up beneath the christmas tree...That had nothing to do with her bakery, but still!

It was the time of year everyone was happy about!

She looked out of the doorway to her bakery and her smile disappeared.

-except for one person.

Flint... He owned the competing bakery, Flint's bakery, right across from Sweet ♥️ Bakery.

What a generic name for a bakery... Anastasia would think.

What a sappy name for a bakery...Flint would think.

Both bakeries were different. Flint's bakery sold:

-Small, plain cakes

-Bagels

-Bread

-Coffee

Sweet ♥️ Bakery sold:

-Personalized cakes and cake pops

-Donuts

-Pies

-Coffees, teas

-Baked goods

The atmospheres in both bakeries were also different. Flint's bakery was a normal bakery, sometimes a bit boring. Meanwhile, Sweet ♥️ Bakery was bright and cheery. It was funny how their shop's atmosphere's reflected on their attitude...

Anastasia sighed. Better not worry about Flint. On Christmas, it's gonna be swamped at my shop! She walked over and smoothed the tablecloth for one table.

"Ding-ling!"

Anastasia jumped, "Hello! How can I help-

you..."

It was Flint, "Hey." he said gruffly.

"Hey Flint." Anastasia sighed, "What do you want?" She said dully, adjusting her black ponytail.

He looked around the shop, and turned to her, "It's only December 1st."

"Yeah! December! Christmas!" she threw up her hands, "December is Christmas month, so the first day of the month is when I put up decorations!"

"Huh." Flint said, "Well...don't you think all these decorations are too much?"

"What do you mean? My shop doesn't have that many decorations." Anastasia felt offended, "Look at your shop, it's bleak and boring. At least I have decorations."

Flint scoffed and left.

Maybe that was a bit much...Eh, whatever. Anastasia stood up and went over to the counter. She glanced at the whipped cream-plumed key lime pies and pumpkin pies that sat under the counter, visible through the glass display. Anastasia was about to pull out her phone when-

"Ding-ling!"

"Oh!" A lady walked in to see the mistletoe lower, "Wow! You've really decorated in here!"

"Haha thanks! How can I help you?" Anastasia beamed.

"I saw your bakery while walking by and I felt in the mood for a donut or two..." she smiled.

"Perfect! We have donuts! What flavor and how many?" Anastasia took out the tray of donuts from the glass display.

"One chocolate and one strawberry. Make them both have sprinkles and make the strawberry one custard-filled." the lady pulled out her phone, "Credit? 'Name's Rose Calfinter."

Anastasia slid them into a paper bag, and went up to the register, "Ok Rose, it's $3.00 and I do take credit."

"Great, here." she handed her the credit card.

As Anastasia reached out to take it, she noticed the lady was looking at the page on her phone with info about the town's annual Christmas Festival.

"I couldn't help but notice, but are you going to the Christmas Festival?" Anastasia pointed to the phone screen.

"Oh yes! I'm thinking of taking a date there!" Rose blushed, "The mistletoe is a very nice touch in your shop. I think after, I'll drop by your shop and let it work it's wonders." she giggled.

"Oh!" Anastasia laughed, "I can't wait to see!" she grinned and slid the credit card in it's slot.

"Also..." Rose lowered her voice, "The bakery next door looked gloomy. That's what convinced me more to go to this one! And I'm glad I chose this one!"

Anastasia nodded, "Yeah, that shop owner is a gloomy guy..." 

Anastasia gave the credit card and bag to Rose, "Thanks and see you on Christmas!"

"You too darling!" Rose took a bite of a donut as she walked out, "Mmm!"

Why was Flint gloomy? 

Anastasia walked up to the door and flipped it to say CLOSED on the outside. She walked outside and into Flint’s bakery.

Flint was sitting at the counter, looking bored, as usual. When he saw her he rolled his eyes, “Come back to apologize?” he mocked.

“Actually, yes.” Anastasia admitted.

Flint grinned, “Wow. Okay.”

“Your bakery is dull-” 

Flint narrowed his eyes.

“-a little. But I can spice it up some. Give it its own theme.” Anastasia said nervously.

Flint smiled, “Heh. Alright.”

“A calm & classic Christmas theme would go good with your bakery.” Anastasia suggested.

“Huh. Alright,” Flint flipped CLOSED on the outside of his door, “Let’s go look at some stuff.”

* * *

When they arrived at the store, (Flint drove) Anastasia ran to the lights section while Flint followed, and snatched a box that read: Christmas lights - White, “White lights would go with your theme,” Anastasia shoved the box into Flint’s arms, “Get a cart.” she commanded.

Flint looked surprised, “Oh yeah, white lights, okay.” and he walked over to get a cart.

He placed the Christmas lights into a cart and rolled over to Anastasia, to see her studying Santa decorations.

“Santa?” Flint scoffed.

Anastasia looked at him, “Yeah I know, I was debating if we could squeeze that into the theme…” Her eyes floated over to a Rudolph decoration. It had a red light for its nose.

“HA! No way!” Flint snickered, he bumped Anastasia slightly with the cart, “I was thinking a wreath above the door would look nice and classic.”

“O.M.G! I didn’t know you knew so much about decorating!” Anastasia looked at him with surprise.

Flint shoved his hands in his pockets, “One thing isn’t so much.

She smiled.

They ended up leaving the store with multiple boxes of White Christmas lights, two wreaths (one for outside, one for inside), vanilla-scented candles for the tables, and Anastasia had bought another mistletoe. Flint had asked what for and she shrugged, “If my mistletoe that lowers from my door gets stolen, what else would I use? Grass?” They laughed.

They strung the lights outside Flint’s bakery, underneath the bakery sign. When they were putting up the wreath above the entrance, Anastasia bit her lip, “Now that I know you, you’re nothing like the Flint I used to know. Why is that?”

Flint flinched, “Christmas...it doesn’t bring good memories. The closer it gets to Christmas, I just-” he sighed.

“What happened?” she asked.

“On my tenth Christmas morning, I remember jumping out of bed and running to the Christmas tree to see my parents standing in front of it, having such pained looks on their faces. I was confused. My dad spoke, “Christmas morning is such a horrible time we have to break this to you Flint. But, you’re mom and I are splitting up.” I felt my world shatter. How could this have happened? My family had always been happy. What? Why? WHY?! I remember running to my room, slamming the door and not coming out, even to open my presents. It was my worst Christmas ever. And now, sixteen years later, it still hurts. Tch. I’m such a baby.” Flint’s eyes were glazed over. He turned away from Anastasia.

“Flint...Oh my gosh I’m so sorry, I never knew. You’re not a baby. I don’t know what I would do if my parents ever separated.” Anastasia looked at him with remorse, “I wouldn’t have teased you about your bakery if I knew this…” she whispered.

“No! Act like yourself! I really should get over the divorce, god, it’s been sixteen years… I’m gonna get over it and I’m gonna like Christmas again...” Flint said slowly, “I’m going to the Christmas Festival for the first time ever, too!” he exclaimed. Flint was acting cheery now, “Telling you about that really helped. Thanks Anastasia.”

“No problem…” Anastasia fidgeted with her boots, “Do you want to go to the Christmas Festival with me?”

Flint looked at her in surprise.

“I mean, if you want to spend your first Christmas Festival how you want it, that’s totally fine-” she quickly said.

“No! No, I’d like to go with you.”

Anastasia let out a breath, “Seriously?”

“Uh, yeah.”

“Sorry, I need to get used to the New Flint. I expected the Old Flint to come out and say Uh what? Or something that would make me regret what I’d asked…” Anastasia laughed nervously.

“Oh yeah, well you’ll get to know New Flint way more during the Christmas Festival!” he threw up his hands and waved them around excitedly.

Great! ” Anastasia had a warm feeling flood through her, even though her surroundings were anything but warm.

* * *

It was Christmas day and Anastasia planned to close her shop during the festival time, but keep it open during the rest of Christmas (so she wouldn’t miss any customers!)

“Ding-ling!” someone walked into Sweet ♥ Heart Bakery. It was Flint!

“Flint! Hi!” Anastasia spun around. She had red lipstick on, her black hair was up in a braid crown, and she was wearing a red-plaid dress.

“You look...amazing.” Flint breathed, as he ran his hand through his ginger hair.

“Thanks,” Anastasia blushed.

At the festival, the snow had started falling. Flint bought a gingerbread man and shared it with Anastasia. They talked over some warm hot chocolate and sucked on candy canes (Flint stopped halfway because his mouth got sore). 

“I had such a great time.” Anastasia looked up at Flint.

“Same, I finally love Christmas again.”

“Hey I gotta get back to my bakery, I think I have a spare fruitcake I could give to you...” Anastasia said.

“Yeah sure.” 

At the shop, Flint & Anastasia waited behind the counter. Flint didn’t know what he was waiting for but Anastasia watched the door gleefully.

“Ding-ling!”

In came Rose Calfinter with a handsome man, pushing open the door. The mistletoe lowered and Anastasia shot a thumbs-up at Rose. Rose blushed and so did the man. She leaned and kissed him. They stood there kissing for a long time.

Flint quietly snickered, “That’s what you had to get back here for?”

Anastasia felt so close to Flint right then that she whipped out what she had hidden in pocket, the extra mistletoe bushel. She held it above Flint and her. 

Flint looked at her with more surprise than when she asked him to the Christmas Festival.

He opened his mouth to say something but they were already kissing.

“Merry Christmas Flint.” she whispered.

“Merry Christmas.”

* * * * * *

Anastasia and Flint's relationship was inspired by the Netflix Original: Dash + Lily. Dash hates Christmas. Lily loves Christmas. Same thing with Anastasia and Flint. Except Flint had a bad experience on Christmas so that supports that understanding better. I thought I would let you know about that small relationship :) Make sure to comment if you've watched Dash + Lily, and thanks for reading!!

December 12, 2020 00:50

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

27 comments

02:02 Dec 18, 2020

I loveddd this!! The scene you created with your words were sooooo nostalgic to me! It just really felt so nice just the way you described everything! I enjoyed the romance too, but like Amany said, I also think it went a little bit fast. We saw the beginning and end but we didn't get that middle part- like what made them fall for each other, ya know? But other than that I still loved the story regardless. It was so cute!! Keep writing Milani!

Reply

Milani James
22:54 Dec 19, 2020

Aww thanks so much Ugochi!! I'm really glad you loved it :) I definitely should slow down on the romance next time; but thank you for commenting, it makes me really happy when people compliment my writing :)

Reply

02:11 Dec 20, 2020

Of course!! Your story was great!! sammee! Guess I'll start doing that more to your stories!

Reply

Milani James
00:15 Dec 21, 2020

:)

Reply

04:06 Dec 21, 2020

Ou, your profile! I always wanted to watch that anime, it looks very interesting and hilarious! Have you watched it?

Reply

Milani James
18:56 Dec 21, 2020

I've watched it! It's called Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun and it's a romantic-comedy type anime. I watched it on Netflix and I liked it. It's about a girl who likes this guy and when she confesses, it comes out wrong and he thinks she's a fan (he's a manga artist) and she starts to help with his manga; & along the way she meets his other friends/helpers :)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Amany Sayed
20:59 Dec 17, 2020

I could totally tell you loved this story a lot! And I did too! I'm a sucker for romance, this prompt was definitely awesome, and you brought out a lot of good in it too! A couple critiques: If you have dialogue inside a dialogue, like when Flint was talking about what his parents said to him, you put this: ' not a quotation mark or we think Flint talking ended. Take it easy with the parenthesis! Some were cute little notes, but too much makes the reader bored and annoyed. Some things could have easily been placed in the regular narration i...

Reply

Milani James
22:52 Dec 19, 2020

Thank you so much for the feedback Amany! Yes you're right, I rushed a bit into the romance. I decided to take a shot at romance writing and apparently people (like you) like it. But there are things I can work on. Like the parentheses, I can see that too many isn't good 😅 Thank you for taking the time to read my story and give me feedback! Happy Holidays to you too :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Milani James
01:00 Dec 17, 2020

If any of you are wondering how Flint and Anastasia went into her bakery without kissing under the mistletoe, let's just say she put it up after they went in :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.