2 comments

General

"Average". That's what the teacher was saying to Miara. The rest of the teacher's words faded while the student continued to day dream. It wasn't the first time "average" was used to describe Miara or the things she did: her grades were average, she put in average effort to complete projects and she was even told she looked average. Oh well...

The best part of her day was about to begin. School was over for the day. She was about to meet-up with her "not average" friend Jai. Jai was everything Maira was not: gorgeous, a jock, straight A student, very popular, the list just went on and on. The two of them had been best friends for as long as Maira could remember. Today, as she mindlessly pulled things out of her locker, she wondered why she couldn't remember how they actually met. Shrugging her shoulders she made her way to the front entrance.

Across the road in the students parking lot, the usual crowd had gathered around Jai's car. Maira stood on the sidewalk. She could have crossed the two -lane, oak tree lined road, no cars were coming but she stood and listened as hard as she could. It seemed there was a disagreement that was escalating. Yes, voices were yelling and it looked as if two groups had formed on opposite sides. Maira looked for Jai. She couldn't see him at first, she became anxious, across the way they were pushing and shoving, then what sounded like a gunshot. "JJJAAAAIIIIIII"she screamed. The earth seemed to shake, her vision became sharper and clearer as if she had spot light vision. There was Jai lying on the ground; someone was standing over him. All things seemed to freeze in time as she moved with lightning speed to get to her friend.

She had never had this much adrenaline before, her need to get to her best friend so intense she imagined sparks shooting from her fingertips. The guy standing over Jai shot into the air like a missile. Maira didn't see the shocked expression on the other faces, all she cared about was making sure her friend was okay. Jai wasn't injured but he looked proud, concerned and shocked all at once. He pushed himself up from the ground, a loud clap of thunder sounded, Maira felt a strong grip on her left arm, then all went deadly silent.

What was happening? All, everything around them had disappeared except for a purple mist. It swirled counterclockwise around them, steady but slowly. "You were not suppose to be able to do anything until you were sixteen. Even then you should not be able to do much..." Maira pulled her gaze away from the hypnotic mist and looked into her friends eyes, which were now glowing a soft yellow. Was she dreaming? If possible his dreads were even longer than before, a beautiful henna color against his caramel skin. Was he also taller? "Who are you?" She said tentatively. "I am who you have always known me to be Maira, your friend; your guardian." Guardian? "Our journey is long. Things have transpired more quickly than the prophecy foretold."

"Guardian? Prophecy? Is this real?"

"More real than you can imagine. Close your eyes so that I may show you the things I speak of. Concentrate on my voice...

Long ago, before even the oldest ancestors can remember, a territory called Vebwy has existed. It resides in the kingdom of Moab. Moab exist on another plane in the universe. It is our home. The Vebwy are a peaceful people. We worship the elements. All living things are precious to us. We are protesters of the earth. On the other side of Moab lives a people called the Non. They are a greedy lot and cause chaos and destruction whereever they go. The Vebwy and Non are the two largest clans on Moab. The rest of the people are nomads. No territory to claim for themselves. Some peaceful, some angry and cruel like the Non. Vebwy is a beautiful, lush, tropical Forrest. We are ruled by the Princess Laina. Much like elves, we seem immortal for we live very long lives. Only a female can rule Vebwy, or it will die. The golden orb that protects the territory is strong and impenetrable as long as the queen is strong and as long as a new queen can cast the spell to reproduce the golden orb when her predecessor dies. Legend tells us that the golden orb is spewed from the queens own body, that it must be nourished and strengthened until it comes of age; just like a child. None of us have bared witness to this in our lifetime and Queen Laina will not speak of it. The Non have been trying to war with us for centuries. Recently, a crack was found in the orb. The queen and others of magic are working feverishly to fix it but the queen weakens, thus the orb is failing. The Non await eagerly outside, it appears they have found a magic source of their own. The more our people try, the more they attack. The golden orb is holding for now but alas our precious queen is dying. We do not know how much longer Vebwy will survive. My mother had no daughters. I am Prince Jai of Vebwy. You, Maira are a princess and the only living survivor of the Thall family that can take my mothers place."

Too stunned to speak at the moment, Maira struggled to take it all in. She closed her eyes and pinched herself really hard. It hurt. When she opened her eyes and saw the purple mist, she realized this was actually happening. She was no longer "average?" She was a princess expected to do-what? How could she save a place she never knew existed. A place she knows nothing about - other than the story Jai was showing and telling her. "We are half way now." Jai, no Prince Jai, interrupted her thoughts. "So we're going to Vebwy?" "Yes" Maira was kind of excited and afraid. What if she failed? What if she was just "average" still and would cause more harm than good? What if...

"If Queen Laina had no daughters, how am I the heir? Why didn't I grow up on Vebwy? What happened to me back there? Am I really a princess? Wha-" Jai's laughter was soothing and comforting. "Now there's the Maira I know, always inquisitive. In answer to your first question: you are my Uncle Sair's daughter. When you were born it was decided to conceal your identity and send you away for your protection. You are his only child. Unfortunately, your mother died in child birth. Though many have wooed him, uncle Sair refuses to marry. He loved your mother so much. Many of the Vebwy are scattered throughout the universe trying to teach others our ways. The family you have been living with is one of them. Vebwy do not have large sets of children. No one knows why. Not only is our homeland dying-so are we. It is a blessing of Bobwy, god of fertility, if a couple has three children, very rare and a celebration. It was vital you be protected. We must not be lost to civilization. We are clean air & water, abundant plant life and rich soil, without the Vebwy, all in the universe will suffer. So much pollution and devastation has taken place. It saddens our hearts and kills us slowly everyday. Vebwy children are taught how to care for and use the elements at an early age. All Vebwy learn this. However, those with the magic can manipulate the magic to do as they bid. Today you used the earth and the wind, as well as lightning. How did you do this without training?"

So sparks did come out of her fingers. She remembered the exhilarating feeling it gave her. The tingle it left when the power was ebbing. The earth must have accelerated her speed. This was all so much to take-in. She felt exhausted, mentally and physically. If only she could take a little nap...

Jai carried his sleeping friend out of the mist. It was night time in Moab, now the real danger began. He knew the portal was being watched by the Non and maybe others. It seemed everyone wanted to destroy the Vebwy. None understood that only the Vebwy could keep the lands lush, if permitted. The Non and the nomads were running out of food and water. They were all warring amongst themselves and each other. Enough had decided to join forces to take the Vebwy down, permanently. Where was his trusted elephant Sheba? He knew she would have her invisibility cloak turned on. He could go invisible too but what about Maira? He listened for any threatening sounds. It was too quiet. Something wasn't right. He had no time to figure it out, the moon was shining brightly on the glade he was standing in. No animals were scurrying through the trees. No insect sounds. Jai closed his eyes and mentally called for Sheba. The blackness in the trees seemed blacker as he waited for a response. Maira tucked her head more closely to his neck as she sighed contentedly. How had she put herself to sleep. He knew it was a spell because he could sense it. This twelve year old girl had a strong aura. If was so powerful he could barely concentrate. Finally, Sheba made contact, warning him he was in danger. The prince asked what direction the threat was coming from and when could she get to him. Sheba told him that something was interfering with their telepathy. He asked again where the danger awaited. He moved to the nearest canopy of trees, backing up to a tall ancient tree the Vebwy. His people often used trees like this one for shelter when traveling. No such luck tonight. There was no hole in this giant. It was solid and healthy. He would not disturb it. Moving silently in the shadows he finds another tree, it speaks to him. He reaches out his hand and touches it gently. The tree moans and slowly opens its big grey trunk. Jai backs in, still holding his friend. The tree shakes and moans, unusual but Jai ignores it. The tree gets louder and shakes harder. The prince tries to communicate with the tree but to no avail. It seems hours go by before Sheba responds. "You're holding it"...

February 17, 2020 23:10

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Andrew Grell
20:31 Feb 27, 2020

Always love a good Moabite story. You had protesters instead of protectors, by the way. Not sure what's being held in the last line...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jamie Shaw
16:21 Feb 26, 2020

Thank you for liking my story. It is greatly appreciated.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.