It Went Wrong

Submitted into Contest #58 in response to: Write a story about someone feeling powerless.... view prompt

8 comments

Thriller

It seems my house came to life so suddenly. I think I am unusually paying unusual attention to everything, all thanks to the power that’s suddenly out.

It might be the call I received earlier anyways. It’s not like I am used to staying at home but today I had to, it was raining heavy that I had to come back home. Whoever the caller was, I was harassed the whole day; a call and no utterance from the other side. Six times a day and two times after six o’clock; if not to mention that I felt someone was there in the house. The last call was disturbing;

“Hello,” no answer and I was agitated already. “Listen, freak, I don’t know what you think you’re doing, but you need to grow up. Psycho,” I hanged up the phone. For a while, everything felt so peaceful and at ease. I took some minutes and anyways unplugged the wire from the wall.

 I turned back and start marching to the stares to get back to my room but the light went out and the phone rang consecutively right after the power cut. I yelped in shock jumpy. I flick turn around and look to where the phone is ringing. I was so sure I unplugged it but it was still ringing and I had to walk back to it; four fearful slow steps back to the phone but the first thing I did was checked the wire I thought I have unplugged.

“What the...” I whispered deepening my furrow lines in shock, crouching under the table containing the phone. I was so sure I unplugged the wire from the wall, but apparently didn’t? I didn’t know what to make out of what was happening but the phone was still ringing that I decided to pick it up once and for all.

“What the heck do you want?” I barked to whoever was on the other side only to receive a loud laughter from a deep voice.

“I’m home, Ashly,” the voice uttered and I heard it in echo, as if he was standing from behind me. I dropped the phone to the ground in shock as I flick turn to look behind me breathing heavy. I speed up the stairs to my bedroom and close the door. I took a while in the dark using the merciful light coming from my mac’s screen.

My room is always a mess and I never mind it, but today, I hated it. I feel like everything with an odd shadow is someone. Who knows if this person is here to hurt me? It’s impossible to guess the crazy some peoples think of doing on some peoples now a day.

I share this house with two of my friends, this is my first time spending a day alone. There’s always someone here, if not my boyfriend. I don’t know why I rain checked on the hiking trip they are all taking to Spain. I didn’t even care that my Brandon has agreed to be on the trip along with everyone. I didn’t even want to see them off to the airport.

While I am busy regretting to the why I chose to stay behind, my phone rang, it was my personal number; my blackberry’s ring tone is sated on the song disturbia that it gave me a more wake up call to my situation. I yelped but I realized that I can call for help and all I can do is sit tight and wait. I run to my bed and get my phone from the night table.

“Hello,” I didn’t check the caller ID.

“Wow, who would have thought you would miss me this much already,” it was Brandon.

“Brad,” I am panting already as if I was running miles.

“Are you okay, I’m calling to let you know that it’s raining rough that our flight was cancelled...”

“That’s good. Brad, listen,” I snatch his line sobbing. “Someone is in the house. I’m scared,” I am whispering eke panting heavy that it’s obvious how horrified I am.

“Wow, wow,” I can hear his shock through the phone. “I will call the cops and I will find a way to be home, I don’t care if I have to swim. Where are you now?”

“I’m in my room. Hiding,” I sob. The door to my room get knocked, more like in intention to knock it down not as if knocking, knocking. “Brad!” I scream as loud as I could, but as I turn to look to the door, I drop the phone. I marched to it and pushed a drawer to block the way and support the lock firmer. I take a moment staring at the door sobbing as I take steps backward. I hate to admit that I might die before any help swim their way here.

“You better leave,” I project my voice. “Help is nearby,” I add hoping to create fear to whoever is on the other side of the door.

“Ashly,” I think he is using a voice changing material that it sounds unnatural. “Oh, Ashly?” it’s mockingly creepy and loud. I guess he knows what I was intending to do.

“What do you want?” I ask. I don’t mean to get any response but to buy myself some time.

“What would I want but you,” he says after a momentary silence as I swallowed hard.

“Who are you? How do you know my name?” no answer. “Please don’t hurt me,” I am thinking of getting on the best side of him.

“If I want to hurt you, I would have already.” I think he is right, I bet he was with me the whole day and the thought of is making my back etch to a feeling he might be here in the same room with me. I turn around and look behind me to nothing and the room has fallen under a darkness since the light from the screen is totally out. “I only want some fun,” he adds but I get to my drawer to get a candle I bought. “Open the door, I promise it won’t take long,” he says.

“Listen, my boyfriend is nearby, he will be here soon.”

“I’m counting on it,” he says and starts hitting the door harder and I scream as I pushed the drawer to the door. After some minutes everything falls under a total silence. I walk to my purse and get my cigarette and light out. I wouldn’t smoke, I just need the light.

After placing the candle on the side table, I light it up and start focusing on the door sitting by the edge of the bed. Was he with me the whole day or did he said it just to mock me? After all I was so sure there was no one at all, except after six and I felt another person’s presence in the house. Dame this light, actually dame this this old house. Every time there is rain the power goes out, doesn’t matter how strong the raining is.

For an hour I simply sit still and there was no voice at all. I slowly take slow steps forward to the door but my phone ringing once again makes me jumpy but I anyways run back to it. I totally forgot about it for a while there.

“Brad,” I whisper to the phone.

“Babe, I couldn’t find the key,” I think he is finally here.

“Wait, um, it must be washed away,” I frown to my speculation but it could happen. “Please be careful, he is still in the house,” I warned him as I get to the window to look out.

“I’ll be fine, just stay put.”

“I can’t see you, I’m by my window,” I said eager to see him.

“Wait,” it took him some minutes but he walked away from the house and stand by the other side of the road. “I see you, love,” he is drenched from the hard raining.

“The house is too quiet,” I said to him. “It’s been an hour, but I think he’s still here.”

“Wait,” he said as he looked into the house. “I think I saw someone,” he adds as he approaches the house.

“Babe, don’t. He said he was counting on it. Please, don’t come close, please go back. I can’t see you,” I am suddenly screaming as loud as I could. For a while I can hear the raining as he walks but nothing more than that and I hear him screaming and scuffling till I hear no voice at all. “Brad, Brad,” there is nothing coming from the other side.

I race to the door and clear the blocking to open it. All I can think of is my Brad hurt and I am the reason for that to happen. “Brad,” I scream once and realize that the whole house has fallen under a great science. I take a moment and calm myself down as I walk to the stares and walk down. I turn to my left to the kitchen and grab a knife from the counter and run to the front door.

“Brad!” I scream opening the door, but there is no one that come to my sight, not even a body. I take three steps forward on the porch that is filled with the rain, sinking my bare foot up to my ankle. I see why he can’t find the spare key. As I walk further fearfully, I see his backpack floating on the road and I race to it. “Brad!” I scream for him, hoping to find him.

“Surp...” The voice pours into my ears from behind me and I didn’t waste time thinking. I flick turn around weaving the knife at him and I see Kevin, Jane’s boyfriend, with his throat sliced by my knife and he is crocking as his blood splashes all over me. I don’t know if it was the shock or the fear that was still in me but I couldn’t at list lighten up my grip on the knife. I am still panting.

“Oh, God,” another voice from behind me and I weave my hand once again and stabbed Brad with the knife in my hand, on his throat.

“Brad,” I breath his name. Maybe it’s a shock, but I can feel air in my heart, breath of cold air. I simply stare at his weak presence kneeling before me as his hand grip the knife on his neck as he spits out blood.

Ear piercing scream wakes me back to the reality and I turn back to look behind me. Jane and Kisha are standing in shock but Jane has already lost control to the horror I just did. They were holing a banner that spells Happy birthday, to me; they are drenched from the rain that I am not able to tell if Kisha is crying but I can tell how shocked they both are as Jane is screaming and crying looking at the powerless body of Kevin’s body drowning in his own blood mixed with the rain. Jane races to Kevin’s body sobbing as Kisha runs to her holding her in her embrace to calm her down.

“What have I done,” I whisper breathlessly. “Brad,” I kneel near him as I lift his head in my embrace. “Please, wake up, please. Come on, open your eyes,” I sob in as loud as possible competing with the rain.

“I... I’m... so... sor... I lo...” he didn’t even complete his words he simply stayed still; his lips gasped and his eyes open. No matter how hard I scream or sob I can’t bring him or Kevin back to life. After all I felt so scared to this point and this was a supposed birthday surprise for me.

September 05, 2020 11:40

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

8 comments

07:44 Sep 25, 2020

It is a nice story with an outstanding suspense, በርቺ ዉዴ።

Reply

Mihret Adal Gidi
11:03 Sep 25, 2020

Thank you so much dear.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
05:09 Sep 18, 2020

You wrote just a wow thing. Keep Up!!!

Reply

Mihret Adal Gidi
15:32 Sep 18, 2020

Thank you so much

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mihret Adal Gidi
20:59 Sep 18, 2020

Thank you so much.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Abrhame Hailu
19:09 Sep 12, 2020

This story,👌 It has a potential of turning in to a great movie ..

Reply

Mihret Adal Gidi
10:09 Sep 17, 2020

Thanks so much 😉

Reply

Show 0 replies
07:45 Sep 25, 2020

Right.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.