2 comments

Contemporary Fiction Happy

Looking at the building in the business district of a city in India, you wouldn’t believe it contained a library. It occupied floors 3 and 4 of a high rise. The ground floor was shared by a firm selling paints and another, a medical products dealer named Apollo Pharmacy. On the third floor you will be in a well-lit large hall with marble flooring, containing reference books, children’s books besides dailies and periodicals. The 4th floor is similarly built and contains books which could be lent to members. Books in the vernacular were more numerous than books in English. The library was large and fairly popular.  Among readers of many ages there would be students and children besides women. The library had been in existence for nearly a decade and though it had the official designation’Library of District 10’ it was popularly known as Apollo library after the medicine shop in the high rise.

The Apollo library had been in existence for close to a decade and for most of the time the librarian was Miss Janice. Janice had crossed 40 and was tall and well-built. She was certainly not beautiful but looked passable. With her slightly greying hair in a bun, and with fused bifocals in a gold rimmed frame she had the learned look and was accepted as the  in- command of the library. True she was a graduate and had specialised in library science, but her command of English was wanting. She had organised the Apollo library meticulously and had trained her subordinates to ensure no book would be stacked out of place. Janice had also digitized the catalogue and the issue and return system. Overdue books would incur a fine and overdue borrowers would be reminded appropriately. Janice would always be dressed in a sari and her demeanour always commanded respect. She maintained discipline in the library and had a burly, big moustached ex-soldier to be her watch and ward besides to undertake fire drills. Janice had no say in acquiring books for the library. That was left to a committee which would choose titles both in the vernacular and in English based on funds available. Often books offered at discount would be preferred by the committee.

Reena, a young student of library science came to be apprenticed at the library under Janice.  Reena was quite good looking, fair and tall and would be dressed in mod clothes. Even without make up she was attractive and Janice kept a watchful eye on her. Reena was quite good with computers and quickly learnt the book classification, stacking and issue of books. She had a friendly disposition and so was popular with staff and public in a short time.

Ranjit was a young man who had been a library member almost since its inception. He was a specialist in air-conditioning and chilling plants. He was fond of fiction and would often come to the library to read periodicals and borrow books. He was tall and handsome with a big moustache which he would twirl to points on either side. His eye fell on Reena and she was attracted to him. Somehow Janice didn’t approve of their romance and she advised Reena to tone down. However Ranjit and Reena would get together often.

One day, Janice who was keeping watch on Ranjit saw him taking a book titled DREAMS DIE FIRST which had been newly added. The book wasn’t returned after the first loan period but its loan had been extended. Finally Ranjit returned the book. Suddenly he was surprised to be called back. The librarian said “Mr.Ranjit, you had no business to write your opinions in our new books.”

He said “Madam, I didn’t write anything on the book. It was fairly interesting and as I was busy with my professional pursuits I had to request an extension of loan period which was granted.”

Janice said “See here! Haven’t you introduced this word?”

Ranjit was surprised to see the word WET written alongside the title on the page below the fly leaf, in the same font as in the title. He could see it had been done by someone with artistic touch. He said “This is not my doing.”

“This is a new book and was issued to you first. Did you lend it to someone?”

“No. It was entirely in my custody till I finished it. I didn’t notice the writing. I usually look at the jacket, blurb, and author details. I didn’t notice the introduction of a new word.” Seeing Janice not convinced he said “I’m sorry it has happened. I’ll pay the cost to replace it. I’ve a good job and I don’t mind paying.”

Janice thought long and hard and said “Mr.Ranjit  since you’ve been a member for long , I’m inclined to take your word. I’ll withdraw this copy from circulation due to the extra writing. Please replace it.”

Ranjit told Reena about the incident and even she couldn’t understand the unfortunate significance of the introduced word until he explained. He searched high and low but not finding a copy of the book any where told Janice “Madam, I couldn’t find a replacement, but I promise I’ll do it some time.”

“The library will wait.”

Janice didn’t understand what the addition of the word WET meant until she heard Dr.Leela the psychiatrist mentioning it. When she understood the meaning she was furious. She said to herself “Lucky you haven’t set the book in circulation. You must cut out that page.” And that is what she did.

Meanwhile Ranjit who had wooed Reena, went along with her and personally invited Janice to attend their wedding but she excused herself. Ranjit felt she had been offended.

A year later, Janice was surprised to receive two packages from England. In one of them was a copy of DREAMS DIE FIRST. There was a note along with it: ‘Madam Janice, I am Ranjit, a member of Apollo library. You might remember me. I am now in England on a job for a few weeks. When I visited a second hand dealer in books here, I saw DREAMS DIE FIRST on sale. The copies he had were new having been unsold. I bought a copy and have enclosed it to you as replacement for the soiled one with my sincere apologies for not having noticed the writing on the library’s copy. I again say THE WORD WET WAS NOT WRITTEN BY ME on your copy. I wouldn’t have even noticed it but for your having pointed it out to me. The book dealer told me that stored unsold books are sometimes loaded with naughty messages. This could have happened with the copy I had borrowed. I wish the Apollo library and you in particular all the best. I have bought another copy of the book for remembrance of unfortunate writing! Madam, as my appreciation of your dedication to duty besides as a gesture of deep regard for you I have sent you another package which would arrive with the book. It contains a ladies’ leather purse which I hope you will like. With warm regards, yours sincerely, Ranjit.’

Janice immediately sent Ranjit this message:’I greatly appreciate your action. The purse you have sent me is charming and I appreciate the gesture. I am aware of your continuing as a member of our library. I will thank you in person when you are back. Wish you all the best in life. Janice’.

END

April 24, 2021 11:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Ryan LmColli
12:39 May 07, 2021

Great story Pls JOin This: https://www.guilded.gg/i/wEwWwYmE

Reply

16:17 May 07, 2021

Thanks for your comment. I was not able to make out the link provided by you. May I ask you to recheck and post. Regards.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.