Friendships Never Last Forever

Submitted into Contest #98 in response to: Start your story with a character having a premonition, but no one believes them.... view prompt

1 comment

Drama Fiction Sad

It was a hot and humid summer morning in the month of August. Ramero was getting ready to work at Valvoline in Haverhill. He had been working for 16 years as a General Manager.


Deborah, Ramero's long time best friend, was sleeping on the couch. She was just recently hit by a car while riding on a scooter. She wanted and needed to get a break from her adult children. She pretty much needed a serious vacation in a stress-free environment.  


Deborah, woke up screeching like a Wendigo, "Noooo!"Ramero heard Deborah and came to her side," Hey are you okay?" Deborah started rubbing her eyes," Yes, I think so!" Ramero shakes his head, "What were you dreaming about?" Deborah grabbed her chest while her body tremored in fear, "It was awful, I was in a black sports car with you. You were the one driving." Ramero gave Deborah a confused look," I don't have a license and don't drive a car. Sometimes Deb, you crack me up." Deborah raised her tone of voice, "Dude, you were speeding on a highway, texting angrily, and tail gating behind a car. I saw you hit a bump, lose control, and you died on impact. I was screaming your name, but you couldn't hear me. You just do not understand how the dream felt real!" Ramero headed to the coffee table in his bedroom to grab his keys," Alright psychic witch, I am going to work. There is food in the fridge, if you are hungry. Look if you want, you can play X-Box." "Cool, Thanks for everything, Ramero, much appreciated Bro!" 


Hours go by, and Deborah got tired with severe boredom playing video games. Ramero walks in the door, "Hey are you ready to go home?" She replies sarcastically," Yes I am, I hope my adult children cleaned up after themselves while I have been gone." Ramero, at the time had only a Harley Motorcycle. He was extremely exhausted and wanted to hop in the shower. She wanted to smoke some weed to help with the pain, “Bro, can I smoke some weed before you jump in the shower?” “Of course, we can smoke bud Dee! But you have to break it up and I will definitely roll because your rolling skills just suck period,” Ramero said sarcastically. As they were smoking, Ramero’s phone started to ring back-to-back,” Your daughter Diandra is blowing up my phone!” Deborah takes a deep breath, “Answer it, and tell her I will be home soon, jeesh I can never take a break even if my kids are grown up or not!” He answers the phone and relayed the message. “So, what are your plans for the day,” Deborah said to Ramero. “I have a couple of errands I have to take care of and plus have some bills to pay.” She really did not want to go home, “Cool. Well, I guess I will be going home then.” 

Ramero had jumped in the shower and had gotten dressed,” Hey, you ready and do you have everything packed up yet?” With an annoyed looked on her face, "Dude, yes I am ready to go.” Ramero carried Deborah with her stuff to the motorcycle and gave her a ride home. 


Upon arrival, Deborah's daughter Diandra, was grazing out the window. Ramero shakes his head," Damn, they couldn't wait for you to come home. No wonder you needed a vacation." 


Ramero lifted Deborah up and carried her upstairs. Diandra and James, Deborah's son, greeted them at the door, "Hey Mother, how are you feeling?" Ramero had begun to laugh," Your mother thinks she is a psychic witch!" Deborah glances over at Ramero, "Dude, not cool at all. I'm telling you the dream felt real!" All Deborah's children and Ramero were laughing. In an angry tone, Deborah tells her children the dream. Ramero looked at his watch, "Alright Deb, I got to go take care of some errands." Unfortunately, not knowing that would be the last time Deborah and Ramero would ever see each other again. 


Exactly one year goes by, and Deborah was sleeping in her room. Diandra knocks at the door, "Mom, I need to tell you something that I have seen on the news." Deborah sighs, "What Diandra? I am sleeping for God sakes. Come in! "Diandra slowly opened the door and peeked at her mother, "I think you should see this, Ramero was killed last night from a car accident, and he died on impact! Mom, your dream was a premonition! You were right! Oh! My God!" 


James came running to the room, "Ramero is dead?" Deborah was flooded with tears, "Yes he died! I'm going to Google this to see if there is any more information!" As she googles the information, she started reminiscing about the last time they saw each other. Deborah starting blaming herself, "I should have kept in touch and convinced him not to buy the stupid car! 


Ramero had a closed casket due to the extent of his injuries. It was a beautiful and heart- breaking ceremony. All his family and friends came to the services. Ramero was loved by everyone. He was a great friend. His family invited everyone to their house for the after party. Ramero’s mother knew he did not want people to cry and wanted to instead celebrate his eventful life. His father dealt with his death a different way. He locked himself in Ramero’s old room and stayed there for the whole party. He had a brother, but barely spoke to him in years and a sister who was on drugs. The one thing everyone knew is that Ramero was the greatest friend anyone could have! The loss impacted many people but the one person that hit the worst was Deborah. A great loss indeed it was for her. It would take years, but in the end healing with the good memories helped a lot. 


Sometimes, premonitions can come in your dreams and nightmares. That feeling when waking up can be a scary thought. The lesson here is dreams and nightmares could come true, especially when two people are connected.  


June 18, 2021 20:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Deborah Cabral
22:16 Jun 18, 2021

This story is a story about two friends and how one of them had a dream of the other's death.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.