0 comments

General

“No,” I replied. “No chance. Never.” He looked at me as if in confession.

“Look, mate, this isn’t a question,” Ace said. “You are already good. But you're not the best. If you want to qualify for the state team, do this. It will improve your movement, footwork, timing, coordination, flexibility, and leg and core strength. Im not coaching you if you don’t do this.” he said and turned away. “Just think about it,” Ace called over his shoulder and started jogging towards the pitch.

 

I dribbled the ball, passing it between my feet. I ran strong and fast dogging the people on the opposing team. I could feel the icy wind against my arms and could smell the freshly cut grass. This is the place I love. With the ball on the field, nothing felt better. As I came to the goal, I realised that I couldn’t get the ball in the net and kicked hard and strong to pass to Leo. He received the ball and quickly ran, doing moves I could only dream of and scored a goal. He pumped his fist in excitement and ran over betting me on the back. 

“Yes!” he screamed, and we jumped in the air as the ref called time. 

 

“That could be you, you know,” Ace said as everyone had come to the sidelines and sat down. “You could be the star of the team with all the show-off moves. You could improve so much,” gesturing to me to answer. Leo was my best mate, but I wanted to get better, maybe even better than him. But it wasn’t about betting him; it was about qualifying for the state team in a months time.

“Fine,” I answered. “I’ll give it a try. Im not guaranteeing that I will like it or that it will make me any better. But only so I qualify,”

He smiled. “You won’t regret it,” 

“Oh and Ace,” I called.

“Yeah,”

“Can you not mention this to anyone? Please, I just don’t want them to know,” I asked. He looked like was going to say something but then thought better of it and nodded his head, turning away. What have I gotten into? I wondered turned the other way.

  *****

I walked out of the car and stood outside the building staring at the sign on top of the door. Bellarine Academy of Dance. Why did I agree to do this? This will not help me with soccer at all. I stepped inside the building and could smell hairspray and heard classical music. I followed the song and saw a girl in pointe shoes and a light pink leotard. She was turning and put her leg in the air with ease. The way she glided across the studio floor let me know that she was really good. Most ballerinas would call what she was doing beautiful but to be honest, to me it looked stupid. But I was no dancer. I was just an average boy who played soccer. I looked down at my phone as the girl came out, pretending I hadn’t been watching her and went into the studio for class.

 

I felt so uncomfortable. I was wearing a white T-shirt, which was fine, but I was also wearing tight navy leggings. Something I never pictured myself wearing. Not to mention, that I was the only boy in the room. There were about 10 girls my age and a teacher that looked about 27, but just by looking at her, you could tell she was strong. She pulled me aside.

“Who are you?” she asked in a slightly meaner tone than I expected.

“Um, Noah. I thought I signed up, is this the wrong class?” I said concerned. 

She looked at me for another second and then “oh, yes of course. Im Allyn, by the way. This is a very high-level class so try to keep up,” great.

 

My legs were aching, I could barely move my arms, I had a massive headache; I had no idea what I was doing and Allyn was literally speaking a different language.

“Ok girls. And boy. Partner up. Down the room do a chassé, gissé, glissade, asomblé and arabesque. Come on now,” Lilian said. I didn't understand what I was doing. I was certain no one wanted to be my partner. The girl that I saw dancing before asked other people before getting rejected and coming to me. 

“You know no one else wants to be your partner or mine lets just do this. Copy what I do and try to do it right,” she said looking a little upset but hiding it well behind her bright smile. “Im Maddie and from now on I’m your partner,” why wouldn’t anyone want to be her partner. She was amazing.

“Sure, I’m Noah. I’m mainly here to get better at soccer so don’t expect too much from me,” she gave me a knowing look, and we went to the end of the line.

 

I was hurting all over my body and couldn’t bear another minute in the studio.

“Thank you, everyone, see you next time. You may leave now except for you Noah I want to have a chat,” Allyn said welcoming me over. I tried not to roll my eyes and walked over. “Now Noah, why are you here. I love new student especially boys, as there aren’t many at this age, but you don’t seem to have any training or ballet experience at all. So im wondering, what brings you here,” she asked staring at me. 

“Well…. Im here for soccer. The tryouts for the state team are soon and my coach said ballet is the best way to get better,” I replied.

“Your coach is correct. Ballet gives you lots of strength, timing, coordination and flexibility. Is your coach named Ace by chance?” I nodded my head. “You’re not the first person he’s thrown into a dance class so I will tell you what I told them. Ballet is a lot harder than you think. The girls are very competitive and so is the competition. Good luck.” Allyn said and dismissed me.

 

Her words were playing over and over again in my head until someone grabbed my arm and pulled me aside. I turned around and saw Maddie. 

“Im not going to ice this with frosting but you are terrible. It’s clear that you don’t know what you are doing. But I do. Im the best in the class best in the studio in fact,” if anyone else had said that I would have said they’re full of it but I knew she was good. And so did the other girls. I figured it out why she didn’t have any friends. They were all jealous.

“I can give you a private if you want to help you strength and stuff. I think it could make a difference,” she was trying. 

“Im not trying to be worlds best ballet dancer or anything-” I started

“I know. This will help your soccer. Trust me,” 

“Ok,” I said unable to decline. Here we go again to ‘help’ my soccer.

   *****

Over the next week, Maddie had taught me and I could feel myself getting better. I had also become good friends with Maddie, which I think was mainly because she didn’t have any at the studio, but it was good for both for us. I was just hoping the lessons paid off in tonight’s match.

 

Leo passed me the ball, and I went for a goal. Normally I would have missed, but I made it swerve and got it in. 

“YESSSSSSSSS,” I shouted. I had just kicked the winning goal. Maybe ballet is helping.

 

“You can see the improvement,” Ace said. “Your getting better, thanks to ballet.”

“Im not sure,” I replied. “Allyn said that you have sent other people there to help with soccer. Who else have you made do this?” I wondered.

“Oh haha. Allyn and I go way back. Lots of people that you wouldn’t even know. They are seniors now anyway,” he replied and Leo pushed past him as him and I walked away.

“So did I hear correctly,” Leo said.

“Um, what did you hear?” I asked.

“Are you doing ballet?” Leo questioned.

“Uh,” I thought about all the time I spent in the private with Maddie. Her teaching and encouraging me. I didn’t live up to her standards, but I had gotten better. And stronger. My soccer was so much better now because of all the effort from Maddie and Allyn at ballet.

“No,” I scoffed. “Do you really think I would do ballet? Like one of those soft girls. Nah, man, I thought you would have set the bar higher on me,” but I couldn’t meet his eye and instead stared at the ground.

“Yeah, your right. Just kidding mate,” he replied and walked away.

  ***** 

The next day I was in the studio with Maddie. She was trying to get me to do an exercise with an exercise ball. I kept falling off but she would always say ‘one more time you can do it’. But there were only so many more times. 

“Maddie, I appreciate all the stuff you’ve done for me and it really shows off in my soccer-playing but…”

“But,” she said, searching my face.

“Im trash at ballet. Im bottom of the class and still have no idea what any of those words mean. Sorry,” I could see her face fall and I felt ashamed that I had been the reason it did.

“So what, you want to quit? We have all been doing ballet since we were three years old. Its hard stuff. It takes years to be on that level. You said it yourself it’s showing off. You can’t leave. I’ve put too much into you. You can't leave. Please!” I didn’t want to look at her because if I did her pushy personality would soon make me change my mind. She bulled back her already perfect blond hair into a bun and started applying masses of gel and hair spray.

“Think about qualifying for the state team. Without ballet and my training that will never be possible,” she continued. 

“Fine,” I said. “But im not keeping this up for long. After tryouts, I’m not doing it. It looks stupid,” I answered and hurt was all upon her face. 

“Ok then. See you again in class tomorrow,” she replied and walked away.

   *****

I was on the pitch again training with Ace. I just wanted to forget about what happened but he kept questioning me about it. 

“So how was ballet? I can really see how much stronger you are and you have much better timing,” he said.

“Yeah, it was fine. Can we focus on this now,” I replied and went for a lap of the field.

 

Today was the day. The qualifying day for the state competition team. I was there with Ace, Leo and a few other people in my team, and we were all wearing our ‘Surfside Waves’ team soccer tops.

“Everyone I’m Luke and I’ll be your instructor for the day. Your aim is to impress me. Ok let’s do some drills,” Luke said, and we spread out.

There were running drills and strength drill and the last one was I kicking one.

“You have to try and kick the ball so it will hit the jersey inside the net. The closer you are the better,” he yelled, and we formed a line. The spot we needed to hit was about 3 meters high and I knew I could do it but we had to kick from 10 meters away. There were a few kids that got it but most couldn’t. The good thing was that we got two chances. Leo was up. He prepared and hit the spot first try, but only just. Then it was my turn. I stepped back so I could take a run up and then went forward. The ball made contact with my foot and it went flying through the air. It sored, and I thought it had made it but as it came closer, I realised it had been off. 

“One more. Focus,” Luke instructed. I puffed air out of my mouth and stepped back again. I pictured the ball hitting the target and then ran up and kicked one last time. I jumped in the air, pumping my fists. I had hit the target. Luke looked at me and gave a brief smile and it was then that I knew I impressed him. 

 

We were standing around waiting for the team to be realised.

“Ok boys,” Luke said. “I have published the team. The under 16 state competition team is… William, James, Olive, Benjamin, Elijah, Lucas, Mason, Logan, Alexander, Ethan, Jacob, Leo, Daniel and…….. Noah,” he said. YES! I was in the team and so was Leo. the first thing that went through my head was, I have to tell Maddie. 

 

After the celebration Ace came up to me. “You did so well!” he congratulated. “Well done on making the team that is so good. You know it was all because of the ballet classes,” he grinned. I wanted him to shush and not tell and one but it was too late. To be honest, I think ballet classes did help a lot, but I didn’t think Leo would agree. I walked away and, as I had expected, Leo was by my side in an instant. Not that I didn’t like him, he was my best mate. But I didn’t want his thoughts about me to drop.

“So do you do ballet, Noah?” he questioned. I sighed and was about to say no when words came out of my mouth before I could think.

“Yeah, actually, I do. It’s really hard, a lot harder than you would think. It takes strength, posture and timing and I have a great deal of respect for people who do, do ballet. I may be terrible, but it has helped me so much to qualify for this and I will continue to do ballet, to improve by soccer and because I think it is fun,” I almost, snapped.

“Hey, no worries man I hear you,” Leo replied. “I was asking because I just thought I might do it too,” inside my head. I hoped he didn’t, as much as I liked him. At the studio, I was a different me, Maddie’s me. And when I got home, I told Maddie and Allyn all about what had happened.

 


November 13, 2019 09:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.