0 comments

Drama Sad LGBTQ+

“You’re afraid. You’re afraid because in the end that position is meant for me.” My jaw clench while fiercely staring at the woman across my seat.

“I don’t compete with someone much younger than me.” She sip her coffee looking in a different direction.

“That’s the point. I am young. And you? You’re old. What ideas do you think you can share.” Smiling as if I can see my victory.

She laughed and sighed. “You have lots of confidence. This is all about her, right?” She began to irritate me.

I’m about to say a word but she suddenly stand up…

“Keep the change,” she looked at me “see you at the end of the road.” She left some cash and a grin on her face.

That’s it! I will do anything to get the position. And with it, I can win back my girl.

I can’t believe Reeze likes women. Yes, she have numerous count of girl crushes but never she had relationship with a girl, and not just a girl, but to a…

“…cougar.”

I promised right in this cafeteria, where I first saw and discover their secret relationship, that I will be the next over-all-operations manager in Manila District. And I will kick her right away and throw her in province.

Murmuring. ‘Plan, plan, plan.’

I need a hard solid plan. She’s ahead of me but I have lots of experience, education local and international, and know by heart every corner and people of my land.

I outlined my CV the required and preferred skills, including technical and soft skills, at my target position. I made it in detail. Then I submit it confidently.

Let’s do this!

°First plan, I befriended not just my co-worker but my superiors, too.

‘She’s good but she rarely talk to us.’

‘Most of her time spent in the field.’

‘She only eats with that girl in other department.’

‘You think she’s not straight?

‘She’s not a local. How can she handle the job?’

Those are the rumors I heard from other office staff and co-supervisors.

°Second plan. Every meeting, I personally print and distribute my report to my bosses. I even bring coffee and do extra jobs. Perks of being single. No time limit.

‘We have office assistants. You don’t have to do that Jeric.’

‘You have full of enthusiasm. That’s one of a good trait of a leader.”

I express my wide smile hearing those praises from our executives and change it to a smirk as I turn to Valentina, my rival. Not just in company but to my girl’s heart.

I can’t believe I’m competing with a woman.

Hits my ego.

°Third plan, ‘Keep your friends close but keep your enemy closer’. I side track her activity.

What they said is true.

Never seen her talking much to our bosses but spending much time to laborers. She’s always in the field to check branches. She frequently held small meetings with customer representatives. She sometimes have a talk with cleaners. She laugh with operators in factory.

‘Ma’am we’re so thankful you visit us.’

‘You bring sunshine into the rain.’

They laughed at the top of their voice.

Huh? How can those people help her aim the position.

“So you’re a stalker now?” she snapped me in my thoughts.

“Me? What do you think I’m here for?” showing her my pen and paper. “Like you, I need to make a report.”

Left her with a dim face and went to a group of operators to gather useful information. I saw at the side of my eye that she stared at me before leaving.

***

General meeting with clients came. Like I always do. I’m the one handing my output to everyone in the meeting. I was so proud of my idea. Everyone nods and clap. Valentina goes last in presentation.

My mouth left open as she presented her idea.

Why it didn’t cross my mind. Of course client will agree because it would enhance existing products instead of creating new.

I read her output again.

‘Fusion of Papaya whitening lotion and antibacterial agent with Spf 10. Whitens, sanitize and protects at the same time. Can be bought in big pump or in handy pocket size.’ Trending and saleable. Best in Asian countries.

Fudge! I’m doomed. Compared to my crappy hand sanitizer with papaya scent. It’s boring. Hers is brilliant. Even if they add a 5% mark up, still, everyone will buy it.

She smiled at me. I know it’s a friendly smile. But I’m still sad. I feel defeat.

“Sir Jeric De Villa? Please follow me.” a young lady told me to go to the accounting office.

Reading the title on the door.

‘General Accounting Manager.’

The lady, which I think a secretary opens the door for me. “Sir. You summon me?” 

“Ah, yeah.” He walked to me and tapped my back.

“Sit down. So, you’re applying for the COO position.” I nod, still not knowing the reason why I’m here.

“Such a fine young man.” He speaks slowly.

“I’ve been eyeing you lately. I like your guts. But you know what? You’re hitting a high thick wall. You need a wrecking ball.”

My brows drew together. “What do you mean Mr. Pascual?”

“What do you think the reason she’s not threatened by you?” my forehead creased.

Questioning.

“That is because that position is already filled,” he paused and smirk, “…by that woman.”

He walked slowly to his desk and pour some wine. “She was sent here purposely.”

My mind was puzzled. “But she’s been here for more than three years. Why it takes so long?”

“That’s the plan. She’s a brilliant woman. She propose to study the place, the product, the distribution and the system of the company before she takes over the whole management in Manila District…”

He took a sip of wine before he continue, “but I disagree with that. Who wants to be managed by an alien?”

“Alien? You mean…” my eyes widened in shock. I focused on her activity but didn’t check personal background.

“Yes, she’s still a foreigner in our country. 

And that’s your ace.

She’s busy raising a child and forgetting important details.” He scoffed.

A wide grin on his face flashed. He discussed what could be the benefits of his plan. He target my needs. Before he dismissed me…

“Use your ACE wisely.”

***

 What I discovered yesterday is still fresh in my mind. Unnoticing, my feet drag me in front of cafeteria.

I saw them eating together, Valentina and Reeze. Honestly, I felt jealous. I should be the one holding and kissing her hand. I hate myself for letting her go.

°My fourth and final plan. I made up my mind.

The next thing I knew, I’m in Accounting office.

“Mr. Pascual. About your offer.”

***

After that day with Mr. Pascual.

“What’s the commotion?” I asked one of the staff.

“There are some officers from immigration and they invited Ms. Levesque. I heard that her Alien certificate of registration is not yet cancelled.”

“No. They said that she didn’t passed naturalized citizenship so she applied for dual citizenship. Maybe that was denied, too.” Interrupt by an assistant.

I saw Mr. Pascual and followed him.

***

Almost a month passed. Still overwhelmed to my new life. I’ve been busy recently when I was appointed as…

“COO Jeric De Villa.” Reading my name plate while standing in front of my table.

I ring my secretary. “Mr. Mateo. Please bring here Ms. Reeze Garcia.”

“Ms. Garcia? Of accounting department?”

“Yes, she is.” I will show her my new office.

 “But sir, she resigned two weeks ago.”

“What do you mean resigned? Why no one told me.” Eyes widened, my lips pressed together.

“It was announced. You’re too busy at that time sir.”

Sadness clouded me and covered my face with my hands in disbelief.

Where is she?

November 04, 2020 01:24

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.