145 comments

Fantasy

Can I clear up some common zombie misconceptions for you? 

One: Zombies have aged, silver or green skin and nasty hair. Not true! I have smooth, caramel colored hair with natural blond highlights and tan skin from summers of relaxing on the beach. Some of us have tinted olive skin, such as my Nana, but we aren’t dyed green or gray. No pun intended. 

Two: Zombies pop out of the ground. Nope. I popped out of the womb, like normal people do. But I’m far from normal anyways. 

Three: Zombies eat brains. Well, this one isn’t completely untrue. Some zombies do eat brains, we call those zombies the Neurons, ones we never discuss. Other zombies, like me and my family, still eat normal food, but we have to have the substitute for brains - Tonic. It was made by an Original named Willow Sanchez who was just as disgusted about devouring brains as we were. So she mixed a few things together and voila! She created Tonic. Zombies can’t go too long without it, otherwise they’ll start to feel weak, and then they’ll go nuclear. Their skin will become a different color, and we’ll start to feel the hunger for brains until we devour a cup of Tonic. At least, that’s what I’ve heard. 

Nobody knows that my family is a family of zombies - how could we tell them? Anybody who we love would panic. Only my grandparents know, but only because they are zombies, too.

 I peer into my mirror and my reflection stares back at me. I inspect my emerald eyes dusted with flecks of silver, a trait that all zombies possess. My hair is in a sleek braid, and my almond skin is clear of freckles. I stare at myself in the mirror before turning away and walking out of my room, down the wooden staircase and into the dining room. 

The table is covered with a scarlett tablecloth. Roasted turkey sits in the middle of the table, and the rest of the table is covered in delicious foods, such as jello and soft, buttery rolls. At the ends of the table, two pitchers are filled with Tonic. My mouth starts to water just at the smell. 

My parents enter the room with such practicality I nearly gasp. My mom’s blonde hair is piled on top of her head into a messy bun, and she is wearing a purple dress dotted with flowers that brings out her bright eyes. My dad is in a black suit, a green tie resting around his collar, his hair spritzed with hair gel, his eyes twinkling the way they always do. Zara, who is three years older than me but thirty times more popular, is wearing a short blue mini-dress and her golden locks are flaunting soft waves that rival any hair I’ve ever seen. I suddenly feel like a slob in my jeans and crop top. 

We all take a seat, and our waiter, Havier, covers our plates in food. He pours us each a glass of bright red Tonic - which he figures is a type of juice - and then he leaves the room.

“We have some news.” My mom says after devouring her turkey leg. She might look dainty but when she’s hungry, she can be vicious. “We’re moving to a small town in Oklahoma! Your father got a position there!”

I spit out my tonic and it lands on my food, coating them in a crystal red liquid. “What?” I screech.

My sister is clearly in shock. She is frozen to the spot, her mouth wide open revealing her perfect pearly white teeth. “You’re kidding.” she whispers. “You’re kidding!” she yells louder. 

“Nope!” my dad says cheerfully. I leave the table. “Lulu! Get down here!” he calls. I ignore him. We’re moving? Without warning? I’m going to have to leave my friends? I refuse to believe it. The tears roll down my cheeks in large drops. I collapse on my canopy bed and cry myself to sleep.


***************************************************************************


I wake up in the morning to bright sunlight streaming through the large window in my room. I groggily walk over to close the curtains, before realizing that my curtains aren’t there. Neither is my vanity! My room is covered in boxes all labeled with perfect handwriting - my mom’s handwriting

I stumble out of my room before looking over the wooden balcony. I witness my mom commanding men in hats titled, Marty’s Moving Men. I scowl and straighten my back before walking down the stairs. 

“Then you take this box and collect all of the old fashioned- oh, good morning sweetie!” She directs the worker towards our living room and he hurries there, lifting the empty cardboard box. “Go sips some Ton-I mean smoothie.” She quickly recovers, for she doesn’t want the movers thinking anything was up. “We’re leaving today, as soon as we get everything packed!” 

“Yay.” I reply sarcastically, but my mother doesn’t seem to catch it and beams at me. 

I walk into the kitchen, but it’s completely bare. I peer into the pantry - also missing all food. I look behind the secret cupboard in the pantry - perfect. There are about 20 cups of Tonic - all hidden inside of soda cans. I open one and sip it, savoring the cool, sweet liquid. I walk out of the pantry after closing the cupboard door. 

I gasp in shock - the house is completely empty! I know, there was barely anything left,but I’m still stunned by how fast those workers were. I walk out into the massive front yard, and I see my mother loading the last of the boxes into a large moving van.

 “Alright, all Winston family members, get into the truck!” 

My sister comes outside in pajamas, clearly upset. “We’re moving today?” “Yep!” My father responds and grabs her from behind then spins her around. 

“Stop!” my sister screeches. 

My dad looks surprised as he gently sets her down. She is infuriated. She hops into the white truck and slams the door behind her, producing a loud, BANG

I open the door much gentler and slide into the seat next to her, crossing my arms so she knows I’m not happy about our dilemma either. 

My parents hop into the car, and my dad says, “Who’s ready for a road trip!” The van stays silenter than a mouse. My dad takes this as a yes, and shouts, “Let’s go!” The engine roars to life, and the car takes off onto the road. 

I look out the window and stare at the other cars rushing by me. It’s calming somehow, and I feel my eyelids droop until they close, blocking out all of the light. 


***************************************************************************


I slowly open my eyes to reveal my family unpacking into a shabby little house, unlike the mansion we used to live in. 

I snap my eyes open, and leap out the car. I rush into the small home, before gasping at the sight. It’s covered in dust, the walls are a hideous shade of maroon, and there isn’t any sign of wifi. I walk up the creaking stairs to take a look at my room. It’s horrifying. 

There are no windows, like a jail cell, the walls are yellow and there’s a dead mouse in the corner! I scream, and rush down the stairs. “Mom! There’s a dead mouse in my room!” 

My mom stays calm, and responds, “Then go throw it out.” 

My jaw drops! She couldn’t possibly expect me to touch a dead vermin! But I know that she was serious. I equip myself with gloves and exterminate the mouse. Ew! 

My bed is already there, and the comforter has been changed to match the mustard-yellow wallpaper. I flop down on it and stare at the old, ripped ceiling. 

My stomach rumbles in protest. It’s near dinnertime, and I haven’t had any lunch. I creep down the stairs before snatching a Tonic from the back of our car, and then I sprint to my room, jumping into the bed and sipping the drink. I pull out my phone, and lucky for me, there is the tiniest bit of reception. 

I scroll through social media, and see a pic of my best friend, Jenna, lounging lazily on a chair, with a tropical smoothie in one hand and the other hand perched on her sunglasses. I scroll to my texts and say, “I miss you! I just moved to a small town in Oklahoma. I know, so sudden! But I’ll miss you tons!” I sip the last of my drink and curl up in the bed. When will the agony end? 


***************************************************************************


I wake up to birds chirping annoyingly. I sigh, and check the time. 

7:00! The bus stops by at 7:30! I have to get ready for school! I brush through my hair and pull all of the strands into a high ponytail, before loading makeup onto my face, and slipping into an oversized tee, skinny jeans, and black sneakers.

 I run down the stairs and after struggling to find a cup, I pour Tonic into it. I scour the cabinets for a plate, before finding one and popping wheat bread into the toaster. I scramble for butter in the fridge, and once I am satisfied, I walk over to the counter and pop my toast out of the toaster. Not roasted, just slightly burned. The way I like it. I slather butter on the crispy bread and munch on the bread before sipping my Tonic. 

I check the time on my phone. 7:15. I hurry upstairs and brush my teeth. I look around the musty hall. Nobody else is awake. Zara’s school doesn’t start until 9:00. Lucky.

 I open the door to reveal the chilly wind. I shiver and pull my white wool sweater over my head, much better. I walk over to where I assume is the bus stop, for I see kids my age gathered there. I walk with my head down low, but everyone notices me. 

This particularly small girl about my age walks up to me. “Hey, are you new?” 

“Um, yeah.” I respond, surprised. 

“Hi! I’m Summer!” She’s really friendly, maybe too friendly for her own good. 

“Wanna sit with me?” The bus pulls up and I nod. I hop onto the bus and slide next to her. 

“When did ya move?” 

“Today.” I reply. 

She smiles and says, “Nice to meet you, um,” 

I cut her off. “Lulu.” 

“Lulu. That’s a really pretty name!” 

A smile starts to spread on my face. “Thanks.” The rest of the bus ride we chat, and when the bus pulls up to the school, I feel like we’ve known each other forever. 

“Wanna walk to class together?” She asks. We both have Ms. Ohana for homeroom. “Sure.” I say. 

We arrive at Ms. Ohana's class and I’m surprised by how young she looks; I expected an old cranky woman. She has short brown hair and green eyes, and she looks at me kindly. “Hello! Everyone, welcome Lulu! She just moved from LA!” My cheeks burn as the class conducts a chorus of, “Hi, Lulu.” I take a seat next to Summer, and Ms. Ohana takes attendance, then goes on about a history club. Once she’s done, she finishes with, “Lulu, please see me after class. I have some things to show you. The rest of you may go 10 minutes early.” The class files out of the room leaving me and Ms. Ohana. She struts over to the door and closes it. “Hi, Lulu. I just wanted to tell you - I know that you’re a zombie.” “What are you talking about?” I play dumb. “Give me your lunch bag.” She commands. I oblige, expecting the worst. “Tonic, yes, I knew it. Pathetic. Join me! This useless replacement is nothing compared to the delicious taste of human brains.” I nearly barf. “Brains? Ew, no.” I reply. She walks behind her desk, and pulls out a small device from her desk. “You disappoint me. Alas! If you won’t, they will.” She pushes a green button on the device, setting off a loud humming noise. I can feel the pulse, and it draws me towards her. “What did you just do?” I ask, staring at my hands, which are now turning green. She smiles smugly, her real self revealed. She’s turning a shade of silver. “Oh, no big deal. I just started a zombie apocalypse. Now, no humans will roam the earth!” 


September 18, 2020 19:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

145 comments

19:40 Sep 23, 2020

Okay, B.W. New comment thread!

Reply

Show 0 replies
19:57 Sep 18, 2020

The Part 2 will most likely come out this week! I already started this story before the new zombie prompts! Crazy!

Reply

Show 0 replies
August Jett
00:59 Sep 26, 2020

Hi again, Kylie! Amazing job on this!! I normally am not one for zombie-type stories ( too much rotting flesh involved) but your story was incredible!! It left me on the edge of my seat. Will there be a sequel? I hope so :) Anyway, great job on yet another story! -Helen P.S. I saw that you were downvoted (almost all of your comments were at zero 😡) so I gave you a little upvoting. I'm so sorry that someone is taking your points, it's a really mean spirited thing to do. Does anyone know who's taken up the hobby of downvoting people?

Reply

01:05 Sep 26, 2020

Helen, you probably the nicest person I have ever met!! Thank you so so so much!! Yes, there will definitely be a Part 2! PS, You got me up so high!! Thank you so so so much! I will upvote you in return! Also, yes, I think I know who it is. There was this girl who said in her bio that she was the downvoter, and then she said that she was joking, but I don't know if she was telling the truth or not. Her name is --------, she commented on one of Brooke D's recent stories if you want to find her. (Tell me when you see this, though, so that I ...

Reply

August Jett
11:49 Sep 26, 2020

Aww, thanks :) Can't wait for part 2! P.S. Hmmm. If she really is the downvoter, it's a rotten thing to do. But if she isn't, who is???

Reply

15:44 Sep 26, 2020

I literally have no clue! Also, thank you so much for the upvotes! Thanks to you and Sia Sharma, I am in 92 place!!! Eeeeeeh! P.S. Yes, it is, but if she isn't, I have no clue!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
19:56 Sep 23, 2020

Great story! Can't wait for part 2!

Reply

19:59 Sep 23, 2020

Thank you! I can't wait to write part 2! Isn't it ironic that these prompts are zombie themed? But...big schocker...I don't think I'm going to write the rest of it with these prompts, because I kind of want to actually write the apocolypse!! :)

Reply

20:02 Sep 23, 2020

Ok! Cool!

Reply

20:37 Sep 23, 2020

Are you going to write a story this week??

Reply

20:44 Sep 25, 2020

Um, I don't think so!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
05:25 Sep 23, 2020

Okay what do we do though? even if we're all trying to be nice to her later i have a feeling that she's just gonna be all rude again or something either way if she is or isn't the down-voter. I'm getting really mad from it and i wanna do something but i don't know what.

Reply

05:30 Sep 23, 2020

I literally feel the SAME way! I want to be nice but at the same time I want to do something about it. This is literally like cyber-bullying, and it HAS to stop. Me and my friend Blair Lemon (sorry for putting ya on the spot, Blair!) both feel the same way, we were actually talking about it IRL the other day, and we need to do something about it! I'm mad, too, I'm just trying to ---breathes deeply--- calm down and not explode.

Reply

B. W.
05:40 Sep 23, 2020

Like sometimes i'm like "eh, it'll solve itself" while still faintly annoyed but once someone start's doing the thing to one of my friends i start to kinda get mad and end up getting involved into the thing because i really wanna help my friends (something like this happened on Wattpad a while ago, kind of)

Reply

05:54 Sep 23, 2020

Yes, same!! I never really got involved with Wattpad, though I would read and write stories on there, I never saw drama! This has to stop, though!

Reply

B. W.
06:02 Sep 23, 2020

have you maybe gotten downvoted at all? maybe me and you could go on a up-vote spree for each other or something?

Reply

15:43 Sep 23, 2020

Sorry, I was getting to bed. Yes, I have gotten downvoted 200+ points! I'll totally upvote you!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
19:40 Sep 23, 2020

why don't we just talk on this one now? then we can talk about the things for it ^^

Reply

19:42 Sep 23, 2020

Okay! What kinds of things do you want to happen?

Reply

B. W.
19:45 Sep 23, 2020

maybe a death? you good with those?

Reply

19:50 Sep 23, 2020

Okay...whose death??

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
15:49 Sep 22, 2020

Great job! It's such a coincidence that you were planning a zombie story the week before all the zombie prompts! Can't wait for part 2!

Reply

15:51 Sep 22, 2020

Thanks, Blair!

Reply

15:53 Sep 22, 2020

No problem!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Emma Sunshine
00:17 Sep 26, 2020

hey, ur story was pretty good

Reply

Show 0 replies
18:02 Sep 24, 2020

Hey, Kylie would you be kind to watch the first video it's on Harry potter. https://youtu.be/KxfnREWgN14 Sorry for asking your time, This my first time to edit video

Reply

19:01 Sep 24, 2020

Hey, no problem! I love Harry Potter! I'll check it out as soon as I can!!

Reply

19:06 Sep 24, 2020

That was AWESOME!! Great job! Keep making more! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Laiba M
12:56 Sep 23, 2020

Hi Kylie!! I discovered you when you commented in a comment chain I was in and decided to check your stories out~ This story is just MARVELOUS. I loved every single part of it and I was hooked until the very end. Your descriptions are WONDERFUL and I loved how the story played out-not too fast, not too slow. You're a great writer and I definitely look forward to reading more!!

Reply

15:51 Sep 23, 2020

Awww, thank you SO much!! Three things: I'm going to put you in my bio! Two: UPVOTE SPREE!! Three: I'm going to check out your stories!! :)

Reply

Laiba M
15:56 Sep 23, 2020

Thank YOU! I'll put you in my bio too! And thanks for checking out my stories, tell me what you think!!

Reply

16:07 Sep 23, 2020

Yep!! Almost done putting ya in there, I've been upvoting you and BW on Avani!!

Reply

Laiba M
16:28 Sep 23, 2020

Thank you so much, Kylie :) It means so so much!! I've been upvoting any of your comments I could find as well :)

Reply

17:08 Sep 23, 2020

Hey, it's no problem!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Noor Ahmed
00:23 Sep 26, 2020

I absolutely love this story and that TWISTTT at the end. You did awesome on this story, Kylie. Keep writing :)) Also, what are your pronouns? I don't want to assume your gender, so I think it would be better if I asked you. I definitely see myself coming back to check out your other stories!

Reply

00:38 Sep 26, 2020

Aww, thank you so much!! My pronouns are she and her! What about you?

Reply

Noor Ahmed
17:11 Sep 26, 2020

No problem! Mine are too :)))

Reply

17:12 Sep 26, 2020

Girl power! lol

Reply

Noor Ahmed
17:15 Sep 26, 2020

Hehehehe :>

Reply

17:30 Sep 26, 2020

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
20:41 Sep 25, 2020

Also, I can't wait for your 100 follower quiz to come out!

Reply

20:42 Sep 25, 2020

Aww, thank you Scarlett! Congrats on 49 followers!

Reply

20:45 Sep 25, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

20:45 Sep 25, 2020

You're welcome!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
20:40 Sep 25, 2020

I love your bio! I just noticed that you mentioned me in it, so thank you so much! :)

Reply

20:42 Sep 25, 2020

Aww, you're welcome!!

Reply

20:43 Sep 25, 2020

I don't have time to edit mine right now, but when I do, I will add you in!

Reply

20:47 Sep 25, 2020

Aww, thank you!

Reply

20:47 Sep 25, 2020

You're welcome!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
15:38 Sep 25, 2020

Kylie ^^ could ya check out "Betrayed" and tell me what ya think?

Reply

16:59 Sep 25, 2020

Sure!!

Reply

B. W.
17:01 Sep 25, 2020

Thanks ^^ leave some feedback

Reply

17:02 Sep 25, 2020

Will do!

Reply

B. W.
17:04 Sep 25, 2020

Alright ^^

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Raymond Kelly
17:12 Oct 21, 2020

I really like this story! The ending is a little anticlimactic... But the concept of the main character being a zombie but not actually knowing what that really entails leaves a scene of suspense that helps drive the plot. As a reader, I was excited to see how her unique take on the world would be affected by her... Being a zombie 😂. I cracked up at "She couldn’t possibly expect me to touch a dead vermin!" because of the dramatic irony—I, as the reader, know that she is supposed to /be/ dead vermin. I've moved several times in my life, so t...

Reply

23:30 Oct 21, 2020

Thank you! I loved writing the dead vermin line!! Yes, I have also moved quite a bit. I LOVE your last idea, I wish that I could edit the story and make that the plot! That would be so cool! Thank you for all of your advice, it's super helpful and now I wish I could change my story!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Avery G.
19:29 Sep 25, 2020

Hey Kylie! I don't think I've read this one, but I loved it! You did amazing! You also did great with keeping it fully in present tense! I always have a hard time with that, but you aced it! Great job!!!!

Reply

20:23 Sep 25, 2020

Thank you! But I did have an insanely hard time! I kept having to change the sentences over and over, but thank you so much!!

Reply

Avery G.
21:06 Sep 25, 2020

You're welcome!!!! Yes, that happens to me too.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
09:41 Sep 19, 2020

It's soooo cool that you started this story a week before the apocalypse theme! I thought this IS one of the apocalyptic stories! I see that you're going to write part 2 of this story...looking forward to it!🤩😆 Sincerely, Danielle💜

Reply

15:50 Sep 23, 2020

Thank you! I deleted the past comment thread because we both had negative points on it!! :(

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lulu Lemon
03:47 Sep 19, 2020

Aww! I loved this story, it was awesome (Like all your stories). The main character had the same name as me :D I can't wait for part 2!!

Reply

22:52 Sep 19, 2020

Haha, in honor of Lulu!! Thank you so much!!!

Reply

Lulu Lemon
17:14 Sep 21, 2020

No problem!

Reply

19:29 Sep 21, 2020

:) (Hehe, my pathetic attempt at trying to keep this convo going)

Reply

Lulu Lemon
16:19 Sep 23, 2020

Haha :) Are you planning on writing a story for the upcoming week?

Reply

17:05 Sep 23, 2020

Um, I might, but I have a lot going on this week, and I actually want to write the apocolpyse, not just skip past it, so, maybe!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Amaya .
23:50 Nov 16, 2020

that is the most relatable comment i've ever seen omg

Reply

23:54 Nov 16, 2020

ikr????

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Ari Berri
16:01 Nov 03, 2020

This is amazing! I love the ending. Great job!

Reply

18:51 Nov 03, 2020

Thank you, Lavinia!!

Reply

Ari Berri
19:06 Nov 03, 2020

No problem!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
L M
23:54 Oct 13, 2020

I really liked how you put a twist on a dead trope and made zombies into something new and interesting

Reply

15:22 Oct 14, 2020

Thank you, Lucia!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
B. W.
19:10 Sep 24, 2020

i think i need some more help with things

Reply

19:50 Sep 24, 2020

Alright, what do ya need help with??

Reply

B. W.
19:52 Sep 24, 2020

it's with My demi-god series, the novel version, i kinda need help with the plot. I'm not sure if i already asked or not though

Reply

20:45 Sep 24, 2020

You did, but I haven't given you any ideas yet. What do you want to happen?

Reply

B. W.
20:50 Sep 24, 2020

Well i need help with the plot. i had this idea of the demi-gods being enslaved but i don't think i'd do it

Reply

21:11 Sep 24, 2020

That's not a bad idea!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.