2 comments

Contemporary Romance Sad

This story contains sensitive content

Trigger warning: mental health, physical violence, suicide.


Author’s note: This is a dadaistic piece and is composed entirely of fragments of lyrics from the following songs (in alphabetical order of artists): ‘Where The Wild Roses Grow’, Nick Cave; ‘Fix You’, Coldplay; ‘Afterglow’, ‘In the Glow of the Night’, ‘Snowbound’, ‘The Last Domino’ and ‘Throwing It All Away’, Genesis; ‘Burning Buildings’, Elton John; ‘Crying’ and ‘It’s Over’, Roy Orbison; ‘Smallcreep’s Day’, Mike Rutherford; ‘You’re Not The Man’, Sade; ‘How Can I Tell You?’ and ‘Ruby Love’, Cat Stevens; ‘Unchained Melody’, The Righteous Brothers; ‘Ever Changing Moods’, The Style Council.

In some places, I’ve used parts of lines or split several lyrics to form one sentence.


From the first day I saw her, I knew she was the one. I need your love. She stared in my eyes and smiled. I’m caught up in a whirlwind… She was more beautiful than any woman I’d seen. Her lips were the colour of the roses that grew down the river, all bloody and wild.

How can I tell you that I love you but I can’t think of right words to say? I need your love. When you are too in love to let it show. But if you never try, you'll never know.

“Oh, my love, my darling! I’ve hungered, for your touch. (I need your love.) My nights are oh so lonely – come and lay down your head.” (You’ll be mine tonight.)

Do you know what you have done? Do you know what you’ve begun?

When you love someone, it will ignite your bones. I’m caught up in a whirlwind… Between the tick and the tock, I know you. I need your love. I feel my arms around you like a sea around a shore. I’m caught up in a whirlwind … too in love to let it show.

Daylight turns to moonlight. I reach across to touch her… I need your love.

In silence and darkness, we held each other near that night. We prayed it would last forever.


Tender nights before they fly; golden days before they end. Daylight turns to moonlight. I reach across to touch her… In silence and darkness, hold each other near tonight… I need your love. Will it last forever?

Do you know what you have done? Do you know what you’ve begun?


I was all right for a while but it breaks your heart in two to know that she’s untrue. I need your love. I’m caught up in a whirlwind and my ever-changing moods ignite my fear.

Can’t you see what you are doing to me? Can’t you see what you have done?

No room for conversation.

How can I tell you that I love you but I can’t think of right words to say?

Cold stares and angry words fall in pieces from our faces.

Can’t you see what you are doing to me? Can’t you see what you have done?

“You’re not the man who gave me everything I've ever wanted – that was someone who could do no wrong. That was someone who you left behind a long time ago.”

I long to tell you that I'm always thinking of you but my words just blow away.

“We cannot live together.”

 We cannot live apart.

“You’re not the man…”

How long before the pain ends?

Between the tick and the tock, your features are changing. Every time I look at you, I can see the future and I’m sad that you’re throwing it all away.

There’s nothing I can say. I promise you I will learn from all my mistakes. Is there nothing that I can say to make you change your mind?

Throwing it all away. Someday you’ll be sorry.

How long before the pain ends?

Can’t you see what you are doing to me? Can’t you see what you have done?

I watch the world go round and round and see mine turning upside down.

How long before the pain ends? Tell me where living starts.

The past is knowledge – the present our mistake and the future we always leave too late.

Is there nothing that I can say to make you change your mind?



 Her lips were the colour of the roses that grew down the river, all bloody and wild. How long before the pain ends? But I’m caught up in a whirlwind: I’ve more pain than I can bear. I need your love. Caught up in a whirlwind and my ever-changing moods ignite... Every flame that ever moved you, touched your lips but never mine. Her lips… all bloody and wild. It used to be a sweet sensation… Now I pay for this bitter taste and the price is not enough. Do you see we shall never be together again?

I kissed her goodbye; said, “All beauty must die.” With a careful hand, I tear your body to the ground, smother your cries. I feel my arms around you… Her lips covered red, she feels the pain with surprise. Sweet sensation. Past. Present. Daylight turns to moonlight. You’re throwing it all away. Between the tick and the tock, the dust settles all around me.

Silence and darkness.

Now see what you’ve gone and done.

My trembling subsided. Tears ran down my face. I need your love. She was more bloody than any woman I’d seen. All bloody. Do you know what you have done? Take a look at the beautiful river of blood.

Can’t you see what you have done?

Tears come streaming down your face when you lose something you cannot replace. Do you know what you have done? The past is knowledge - the present our mistake... Do you see we shall never be together again? Now I’ve lost everything. All of my life. I need your love.


It used to be a sweet sensation when we held each other between the tick and the tock in a world I used to know before. Now I’ve lost everything, I miss you more. We shall never be together again. I look and you’re not there. And I would search everywhere just to hear your call. You’re not there.


The grey of evening fills the room. I miss you more. Daylight turns to moonlight. I reach across to touch her but I know that she’s not there. I need your love. I almost believe that she is here in the glow of the night – in a world I used to know before. Aching back, my breath coming fast, my feet getting lighter, I feel kind of dizzy. How long before the pain ends? I need your love.


And when the morning comes upon us, I'll be holding you so close to me.







February 18, 2023 18:07

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

19:44 Feb 25, 2023

This is an absolute masterpiece. I love the idea of uses lyrics and compiling them into a single work. Wonderful piece of writing!

Reply

Jane Andrews
20:41 Feb 25, 2023

Thanks, Alexandra. This was much harder than it looks as I was determined only to use bits of song lyrics and to limit myself to just a few bands/singers. It’s a bit of a jigsaw, but the idea is that the fragments represent the character’s splintered sanity. You’re never quite sure whether these things have happened or are just in his head!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.