What A Book Brings

Submitted into Contest #46 in response to: Write a story about an author who has just published a book.... view prompt

19 comments

General

Author's Note : I need to give credit to Caleb Weigt, who unknowingly gave me the idea for this story. This story is sort of based off his story, Good News, so go read it! Enjoy!


I woke up one morning to hear my doorbell ding-dong a million times and shouts from outside. I crawled out of bed and changed quickly and brushed my hair before going downstairs and to my front door. Before opening it, I peeked out the window and saw about fifty people standing right outside my house. I opened the door and was suddenly swarmed with reporters and fans and everyone in between.

"Woah! Woah! Hey! Hello? Please! Quiet down!" I sighed as the group quieted down until there were only a couple of whispers here and there.

"Come back tomorrow." I retreated back into my house and closed my door. I locked it and leaned up against it. I heard cries of disappointment, and cries of anger. I could hear some reporters swearing at some points and laughed when I did. Once all of the noise faded, I walked into my kitchen and saw a note on my counter.

Reporters coming. Make sure you look nice. Have a great day! Too late for that. I threw that in the trash can and then went over to my fridge. I opened it up and pulled out my fruit container. I sat it on the counter and closed the fridge door. I popped open the container and popped a piece of a strawberry in my mouth. I got out my blender from one of the bottom cupboards and plugged it in. I put my fruit in and watched as the fruit got chopped up and turned into my smoothie. I poured the smoothie into a cup and took a sip. I put the blender in the sink and turned around to the island. I opened up my laptop-which was sitting on the counter-to see over two hundred emails in my inbox. I started going through them, and all of them were from fans about my book. When I was about a quarter of the way through, I was getting tired, so I took the rest of my smoothie and moved to the couch.

For the rest of the day, I just went through emails and checked how much money I was making from my book. Thousands upon thousands of copies were selling every hour.

By the end of the day, I was super tired and ready for bed. So, I fell asleep staring up at the ceiling, thinking about how many reporters would show up the next day.


---


The morning started off as normal as it could be. I did the same routine as the day before and it was already one before I heard the knocks at my door.

I got up and was ambushed (yet again) by reporters. They all started talking at the same time, and I had to start answering more than three questions at a time after fifteen minutes passed. That's because people just kept on showing up. They only started leaving around about three, but there was still a good sized group left. I had to go through them and then finally they left. I decided to take the day off of book duty, and asked my publishers if they could do the things that I normally would do. They agreed, but reminded me that a more reporters might show up. I told them I understood, and then I took my time making a bowl of ice cream for myself.


---


I rolled my eyes when I heard the millionth knock at my door that day. I paused my soap opera and got up from my slouching position on the couch. I walked to the front door and took a deep breath while practicing my smile. I swung the door open and smiled.

"Hi! I'm Deborah Nicole from News, News, and More News! I am here to ask you a few questions about your book that was just published; A Phoenix, Magic, and Love." Deborah whipped out a notepad and pencil and looked at me expectantly.

"Yes, of course. That sounds great! Ask away!" I smiled even wider, trying to hide my lie about it being great. Deborah smiled a true smile and looked at the man who was holding a camera. She nodded and he nodded back, so she turned her attention back to me.

"Now, Miss Lillo, our first question is where you actually got the idea for your novel? Mostly because because it's such an odd story line, nothing like most people would normally write." Deborah put a microphone out to me and I took a breath with my eyes closed.

"I actually got this idea when I was about ten or eleven years old. I was already working on my first book, Jade West Untold, and I ended up ditching that idea and focusing on the book I was already writing. I was going through some of my old papers and found a paper from around then with a story outline scribbled out. I went on from there." I watched as Deborah withdrew the microphone and started scribbling in her notebook. After a minute, she looked back up at me.

"Who inspired you to become a writer in the first place?" The rest of the questions were similar, with me going into details for the answers but not going crazy. Deborah and her cameraman left after about a half hour of question and answers. Once they were gone, I closed the door and plopped back down on the couch and continued my soap opera. I ended up falling asleep there and not waking up until the next morning when there was a loud rapping at my door.

I didn't want to get up, but I knew that it wasn't a reporter. My friend, a published author, had said that all of the reporters would come one day and then wouldn't come back. So, I took my time getting up and walking to the door.

"Hello?" I groggily rubbed my eyes as I opened the front door. Standing in front of me was a young boy, no older than twelve. I looked down at him and he looked up at me.

"Hello, Mother."


To be continued...

June 17, 2020 21:11

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

19 comments

Jexica Marcell
16:37 Jan 28, 2021

Loved this story!!!! To be continued.... totally made me want more!!!! thats so smart!!! If you can could you read my story "Lyrics of my Life" Thanks! Amazing job -Cass

Reply

01:21 Jan 29, 2021

Thanks so much! -Brooke

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Batool Hussain
05:26 Jun 20, 2020

A great story once again!

Reply

18:39 Jun 20, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

Batool Hussain
10:33 Jun 21, 2020

You're welcome! Mind checking my recent story out? Thanks.

Reply

15:52 Jun 21, 2020

Of course! You're welcome.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Praveen Jagwani
10:52 Jun 19, 2020

This has the promise of an interesting story. You have a natural flow. I found the description of smoothie making and placing laptop on counter a bit tedious. It distracts from the flow of the story. Also, in the 3rd paragraph > I heard cries of disappointment (not disappoint). This sentence is wobbly : My friend that had wrote a book herself said that they do it the day that it goes crazy and then they don't come back > My friend, a published author, said ..... I would love your feedback on my stories too.

Reply

18:40 Jun 20, 2020

Thank you for the advice! I will definitely take your 'words of wisdom' into account for my next story. I wouldn't have added the laptop and smoothie bit if it weren't for the word count issue. I apologize if it took away from the flow of the story. Of course! Thank you again and stay safe!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Evelyn ⭐️
15:52 Jun 18, 2020

Loved this story (as usual)! Cliffhanger endings are always the best!! I liked how it showed the reporters coming and overwhelming the author!! Jade West Untold? As in Jade West from Victorious the tv show?

Reply

03:29 Jun 19, 2020

Thank you! Yeah, that's what I meant. Jade West Untold is the title of the novel I'm working on now. Thank you again and stay safe!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
16:11 Jun 26, 2020

GREAT story Brooke! Loved your story! I really enjoyed reading your story! Your stories are really good and nice to read through! Looking forward for more stories from you Brooke!😊😉 Keep writing and have a great day Brooke!❤️️

Reply

16:38 Jun 26, 2020

Thank you so much, Harshini! It means so much to me, and I love hearing people's feedback! :) Have a great day as well! :) <3

Reply

16:40 Jun 26, 2020

:))))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Anoushka Jain
16:49 Jun 25, 2020

Loved your story! Great job :)

Reply

17:32 Jun 25, 2020

Thank you so much, Anoushka! :)

Reply

Anoushka Jain
18:02 Jun 25, 2020

Looking forward to reading more of your stories!

Reply

18:49 Jun 25, 2020

Thank you! Look out for one today (June 25) or tomorrow (June 26)!

Reply

Anoushka Jain
19:02 Jun 25, 2020

Awesome! You're a wonderful writer, and it would be awesome to hear your feedback on my story, if that's possible? Thanks!

Reply

21:28 Jun 25, 2020

Awww, thank you! It means so much to me; more than you could imagine! Of course; my pleasure!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.