14 comments

Coming of Age Contemporary Creative Nonfiction

   It’s not easy. It’s not easy to do many things, actually. Most things are hard, because that’s just how the world is. 

   Okay, from the top. 

   “Hello y’all!” 

   No, y’all’s too...No, a more formal, a more, a more…A better one…

   “Hello people,”

   Good enough for now, I think. No, probably not. This is an important speech! Come on, you can do better. Much, much, MUCH better than just hello people. 

   The world is cruel, too. Like I said before, the world makes things hard. Things like speeches. 

   “Good evening,”

   Yes, a perfect start. 

   “I want what’s best for us, which is why--”

   Isn’t that what everyone says? No, no, utterly terrible! 

   “The world is not perfect, just like how it makes everything hard.”

   There was no need for the right for a woman to take control to become hard. It was just a simple wish for everyone to be equal, to be the same, treated reasonably the same way. Of course, you shan't treat a Queen like you’d treat a prisoner. 

   “If everything was easy, where would the challenge be?” 

   The challenge was plastered on everything--just like a hard math problem no one in your 3rd grade class can solve, even the young teacher. 

   “Although sometimes a challenge isn’t good, sometimes it pushes us forward and encourages us.” 

   Sometimes it’s harsh and doesn’t give you a choice of whether or not to complete the challenge. Or ignore it. 

      “But right now what’s hardest is us just simply changing.”

   Gah, such a cringy line. 

   “We need to fix the world.”

   No no, I need a better job.

   “We have a broken world. Each shard of the world is in our palms, no matter how hard we do, how hard we try...Each of us owns a small guilt of hurting our world.” 

   Yes, of course. Maybe I was going on a tangent. But, even if you are one of those “save the ocean!” Or “help the earth” or “making things out of recycled things.” Of course I support you, however, at least once in your life have you not let a small piece of trash escape from the tips of your fingers? 

   Perhaps. 

   Even when I was little, oh, so pure on non-littering, I accidentally allowed a piece of tissue paper from Mcdonalds slip from my fingers. Now, at this time you’d have to understand the fact that I was young--little--innocent. On one hand, I was frimly gripping my mother’s hand. On the other, I was loosely holding the Mcdonalds tissue paper. 

   Mother and I were set at a brisk pace. She took long graceful steps whilst I stumbled beside her and tried to keep in step with her. I hadn’t noticed the Mcdonalds tissue paper slip from my fingers, otherwise I would’ve noticed it. But I didn’t. A moment later I noticed: Hey! Where’s my tissue paper? 

   And then, seconds later I saw it was flying in the wind. 

   Oh-no! I littered! Was my first reaction. But then, before I could go back and pick it up, a group of people walked in front of the tissue, and when the left, mother and I were far from the Mcdonalds tissue paper. 

   “Small differences make big changes. Have you heard that quote before?” 

   What was I doing? What was I practicing this useless speech for anyway? It’s not like I would win. 


***


   “Small differences make big changes. Have you heard that quote before?” I grinned. A true grin. A happy grin. 

   It wasn’t that someone told me; it was like I felt it. I knew I would win--I just had that gut feeling. 

   Smiling as I stepped on stage to welcome my new people, I called out: 

   I, Vachi Cleri Fa Bancho promise to be the best presidant ever.” 


December 10, 2021 21:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

14 comments

20:34 Jan 29, 2022

I remember the old times, too, I wish it could be like it used to be, when everyone was always on, and everyone was always writing and lifting each other up, it's so quiet... It's quiet uptown... Sorry, this is Em in Hamilton mode

Reply

OMG WAIT! YOUR ASEXUAL!! I used to be asexual too, I changed to aro though. Okay that was really random, lol sorry. I respect you <3 🏳️‍🌈 I know, I really missed the olden times. I used to wake up every morning and check Reedsy. I loved replying back to my friends. it's okay :)

Reply

13:18 Jan 30, 2022

It's fine! Yeah, I used to be bisexual, then heteroflexible, then"straight and pretending" which is a phase most people probably go through. Then I realized that I made it through puberty with none of those urges and went "huh, maybe I'm one of those weird purple-and-black flag people" I was, and I learned they were called asexuals. Yeah, I was really happy to see a bunch of notifications, like "SOMEONE NOTICES ME! SOMEONE READ THAT THING I WROTE!"

Reply

What's "straight & pretending?" I haven't gone through that phase yet (or maybe I'm about to??) I only want to become aromatic (or used to be asexual) 'cuz love is first of all...Uh. How do I start? 1.) Two people have to like each other 2.) They know each other 3.) One of them can either face the embarrassment of asking you out and getting rejected or it ends all happy. Basically, one of them has to be hella brave. 4.) relationships are just TRUST. Like, you have to trust your partner that their not gonna cheat I mean trusting someone th...

Reply

21:44 Feb 01, 2022

Straight and pretending was my phase where I thought it was just a phase, you know, if you've ever thought "maybe I'm just normal." OH MY GOSH YES LOVE IS SO WEIRD Sorry for the caps, it's just really relatable

Reply

Show 0 replies
21:38 Jun 09, 2022

Hey, if you want any notifications, I'm bored...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
03:06 Jan 14, 2022

THIS IS SO CUTE I LOVE IT

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Keya J.
07:35 Jan 09, 2022

I liked the narrative voice. Also, the consciousness and anxiety of the protagonist are very well described. With more descriptions and details, I can see this as a longer piece. Nice work!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Palak Shah
14:37 Dec 12, 2021

Nice story Blxxii, I love the way that it is written and the title is great :)) Could you please read my latest story if possible? :)) Thanks :))

Reply

Halloo! Yess, ofc I can!! Thank you so much for the feedback <3

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Vera Vuscoe
00:53 Jun 15, 2022

Im being reunited with everyone on reedsy :)))))))) This was absolutely AMAZING! I love the fact that each and every writer on reedsy has changed and grown in their writing and I still haven't made that big of a change lol. It feels good to be back. Again, awesome story. :)))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Unknown User
06:26 Feb 25, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.