Troubling Times

Submitted into Contest #45 in response to: Write a story about solidarity.... view prompt

0 comments

General

Alexandr angrily hit the power button on the remote for the television as he just witnessed another senseless killing of a poor goblin in the shadow district. He rubbed his eyes in frustration about the amount of injuries, killings, and other social injustices his fellow humans were inflicting on what they considered lower races. This time it was a human guard, surrounded by other guards who did nothing but laugh as the poor goblin squealed and pleaded.

              He walked towards the small phone as the music of his ringtone filled the air. His dwarven friend Britni was calling, probably infuriated by the discrimination as well.  He sighed as he answered and listened to her rant a full minute before he was able to say anything.

              “It’s bad enough they gleefully rip off the wings of pixies and fairies treating them like insects. Bad enough when they maliciously beat young trolls and ogres claiming they need to protect their families from them, although their ancestors have not killed humans for hundreds of years. Bad enough orcs and goblins are beaten in the streets, but this is going too far. We have not had as many issues with these humans until their so-called king started his reign of madness.

              “With all his prejudices being shown daily, it is no wonder the rest of the humans feel they can be racist, sexist, or show any other social discrimination they want. This inequality needs to be stopped!”

              Alexandr took the moment to speak during the pause in her speech.  “I know these incidents are horrible, but there is definitely no way for just the two of us to do anything.”

              Britni gave a hearty laugh on her end, “Oh Alex. You have no idea how many people are sick and tired of the prejudice. Come join me on the pier today and see for yourself.”

*                  *              *

              The intermittent sun glared off the waving water of the bay blinding Alexandr as the pair walked on the boardwalk.  He smiled as he listened to the waves hit the rocks, until they were drowned out by the cacophony of the already assembled people of varying races, all there to show their support for the fallen goblin and his race. The number of humans surprised him. While he expected the standard peace-loving elves, the disgruntled dwarves, and the more limited number of trolls, ogres, orcs, and goblins, the number of humans surpassed most of the other races in their amount. 

The crowd carried numerous signs. He read numerous placards expressing, “Goblin lives matter” and “End Human Brutality.” There were numerous dwarves and elves chanting about how only justice could bring peace, how all lives could not matter unless the goblins’ lives mattered, and how injustice anywhere was a threat to justice everywhere. Humans mixed in with the other races could be witnessed holding posters stating “Pro-Goblin is not Anti-Human,” “Tyranny will not be tolerated,” and “You ask me why I care; I ask you why you don’t.”

The number of protestors spread over the length of the boardwalk and carried onto the pier. Gazing up at the towering green-skinned trolls and massive frames of the muscled ogres, Alexandr felt tiny and insignificant. A lone individual who could not be heard. A small group of old and young dark-yellow skinned goblins walked past the pair. One of the younger ones in the group nodded towards Alexandr, who provided a slight smile. Several pointy-eared elves and bearded dwarves walked around providing snacks and water to help their fellow marchers. The solid front of unity was plastered on all the faces of the crowd.

The clouds began covering the sun, cooling the participants of the rally. As light splashes of drizzling rain hit the demonstrators, the chants and noises continued, as if nature itself was providing additional support for the gathering. Alexandr was still in awe as he observed what was before him.

              Britni glanced at him, “You thought you were the only one who was upset by the king and his hate-spewing behaviors. You believe you were the only human not happy with how the world was turning upside down in their actions. Join your fellow humans and your fellow people to help make a stand.”

              “It is just one demonstration from a no-name town that has a few thousand people. Their voices are not going to be enough to change anything.”

“Sure, one lonely protest is not going to stop everything, but remember, while this one is being raised from one small town, another small town will also have one, and another. Larger cities will also be providing their own voices. It is not just a small group of a few hundred people. It is one part of many small groups of hundreds, thousands of people. Soon, with enough voices and marches, all of the injustices, the discriminations, the prejudices will end. It may not be today. It may not be tomorrow. Or next week. But with enough discussions and movements, it will happen.”

“But how do you know?” Alexandr questioned, “How can you be sure anything will come from this? Or any others for that matter?”

“I can’t. I can only hope. Just like everyone here. If you were sitting at home still, would you know how many people were unhappy in these times? Probably not. Look at how surprised you were when you saw this crowd. People are unhappy. They want change. Trolls and ogres have not lost their horrible reputations from their ancestors. Goblins and orcs have always been proud races, yet the humans have always condemned them. They have turned them into slaves or workers that have always been underpaid for jobs the humans never wanted. Even before that, they made them into monsters in their childhood stories. How can one race be better than others? How can one species feel superior to any other? Sure, they tolerate elves and dwarves, but I know, just like my family and friends, the racial hatred humans have against anyone other than themselves.” Alexandr placed his hand on Britni’s shoulder as he watched tears form in her eyes. “You don’t know how lucky you are being born a human. You may have to work hard at where you are today, but any other species needs to work harder. Humans will help other humans before they will help a goblin or a troll, or even an elf or dwarf. Being human is a privilege that humans will never understand, and that is where we are today. We are tired of how humans treat us. Look around, even humans are tired of how they treat other species. It should not be happening, but it does. You want to help change the humans’ attitudes, be a part of the solution. Join us.”

Britni gave her friend a slight half-smile and left him behind as she marched into the crowd.

              Alexandr nodded, wide-eyed, as he slowly followed and began chanting and shouting with the vast gathered group. He gazed at the backs of the assembled mass of bodies of varying heights, looks, and ages. He felt at home in the group, knowing that just perhaps, this one march would lead to another and another, and the prophetic outlook of change that Britni declared may in fact occur.

June 13, 2020 02:09

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.