0 comments

General

Where the purple silhouette of the mountains met the horizon, the sky was faded gold. It blended up into dusky, red-streaked orange and jade green and faded into the deep ink blue of night. The darkness of the balcony was blocked out with bright yellow rectangles of light from the patio windows behind her. Diane could hear soft music and muted conversation. Out here no one could see her consignment shop dress. She stared enraptured as a shimmering canopy of stars appeared. Evie’s voice broke into her reverie.

“Big sis, where are you? What’re you doing out here?”

Evie teetered up to her, slopping champagne as she gestured with her glass. She grabbed Diane’s arm for balance, giggling.

Diane steered her to one of the patio chairs and sat down next to her.

“Just admiring the view. This is quite the place. You didn’t warn me it was this fancy. I appreciate you treating me to this trip, but I hope you’re not bankrupting yourself. Did you win the lottery, and what’s the occasion?”

Evie leaned back, smiled triumphantly, and flourished her left hand in front of Diane who whistled softly at the sight of the exceptionally large diamond on Evie’s ring finger.

“So, the occasion is…”

“My wedding! It’s going to be at sunset on the beach tomorrow and I wanted you to be here.”

Evie flung her arms open wide. Diane managed to catch the champagne glass just before it hit the floor.

“And who is the lucky groom? You haven’t exactly kept me posted on all your doings these past few months.”

“It’s Ralph Mortimer. He finally proposed. I can’t believe I’m going to have the romantic tropical wedding he always promised me.”

“You did mention him a while ago. I gather his wife was always in the way,” Diane said dryly.

Evie pouted.

“You’ve never liked him.”

“I’ve never met him, so I can’t say. I don’t like how he lied to her and kept you on a string. There were too many excuses for not leaving his wife if the marriage really was over.”

Evie gave a knowing smile.

“I helped things along a little. He found himself single a little sooner than he intended.”

Diane stared at her.

“What do you mean?”

“Oh, just an ultimatum or two. Make up your mind, her or me. I know you think I’m the other woman and a home-wrecker and all that, but what did you think I meant?”

“I never know with you! Why did you ask me to come? You could have found a couple of witnesses easily enough.”

“Not much fun having the romantic, tropical wedding with strangers. You’ve always looked out for me. I thought you deserved a nice trip. Forget about being the practical big sister. Let loose and enjoy yourself for once!”

Diane reluctantly grinned as Evie gave her a big hug

Evie was now yawning hugely. Diane got her to bed, covered her and slipped out after a quick glance of amazement at the opulence of the suite.

     In the corridor, she sighed and stretched, trying to ease the tightness in her shoulders. Evie was fun, charming, impulsive, unpredictable and dramatic, but like fireworks, best enjoyed from a distance. Diane had forgotten how exhausting her company could be. Evie was right about one thing. Diane was always the responsible sister. but she resented the insinuation that she was the boring one. On impulse she headed for the bar.

She stared at the rows of bottles. The bartender waited patiently.

“A glass of white wine, please,” she finally said, defeated by the bewildering choice of cocktails.

Relaxing as she slowly sipped, doubts about the wedding faded from her mind.

“Bit on the fancy side for me too. Beer’s fine for me,” said a pleasant looking middle-aged man sitting next to her.

Diane nodded coolly. He smiled.

“I’m on my own till my colleague gets here for some business tomorrow. I got tired of watching TV in my room. Just trying to be sociable. My name’s Jack Martin.”

He proffered his hand. Diane hesitated, then remembered she was supposed be enjoying herself and shook it.

“You’re right. This is not my natural habitat. I’m more of a coffee house indie-band type. I’m here for my sister’s wedding tomorrow. She’s the social butterfly, not me.”

He glanced up sharply.

“That’s nice. Big event? Have they been engaged for long?”

“No, spontaneous, barefoot on the beach minimal. Just her, me, the groom and whoever they’ve found to do the officiating. The whole thing was a surprise to me.”

“She hadn’t confided in you?”

“That’s not unusual. Evie’s always done her own thing. We’re often not in touch for months.”

“I hope it goes well. I’d best get some rest. Nice meeting you.”

He smiled as he left. Diane wondered if she’d see him again, then told herself not to be stupid.

    Next morning, he was in the dining room.as she and Evie were circling the buffet. He waved. Evie nudged her, grinning.

“Well, look what happens as soon as I’m out of the way.”

“For your information, nothing happened. We chatted for five minutes at the bar last night. He’s probably married.”

“Like that makes any difference.”

“Well, you should know.”

Immediately Diane regretted her remark, but Evie was oblivious.

“I’m off to the spa for a facial and a massage. You should try it. Nothing like a little pampering.”

She left the dining room, grinning mischievously across the room at Jack Martin and chuckling at Diane’s scowl. He paused at her table a few minutes later.

“Is that your sister? She’ll be a beautiful bride. When’s the ceremony?”

“At sunset, assuming the groom arrives as planned at noon.”

“All the best to them.”

    When Ralph arrived, Evie hugged him extravagantly.

“Was the flight okay? You look tired, sweetheart. Come and meet Diane.”

 He nodded politely to Diane.

“Thanks for coming at such short notice. It means a lot to her.”

“Of course. Not every day my little sister gets married.”

 He was quite a bit older than Evie, with receding hair and an expanding waistline. Diane wondered what Evie saw in him. She suddenly remembered their mother saying that Evie had champagne tastes on a beer income and shook her head. Not the time to be cynical.

“Earth to Diane! Stop daydreaming. You were miles away. Ralph’s going to have a rest and freshen up. Come and help me with my dress and hair.”

    Ralph excused himself and disappeared into the bedroom of the suite. Evie carefully laid out an artfully simple dress. Diane blinked at the price tag. Sitting at the dressing table, Evie brushed out her hair.

“I could pin it up like this, or this.”

They went through several variations before Evie was satisfied. She was trying on a necklace when there was a knock on the door. They looked at each other.

“Did you order room service?” Diane said.

The knocking grew louder.

“No, I didn’t. They’re going to wake Ralph. Let me have a word with them.”

Evie marched to the door and jerked it open.

 Jack Martin and another man in a grey suit were standing there.

“You. What do you want? You picked the wrong time to bother my sister.”

“Erica McDonald? Or Ella Robbins? Or Evie Maldonado? I’m Jack Martin, Broughton Police Department. This is my colleague Paul Davis. We’d like to have a word with you about the late Lillian Mortimer.”

He held up an ID.

Evie stepped back, her face ashen, pupils dilated, and sank onto a chair. Diane stared, speechless.

“Mr. Mortimer, you can come out now.”

Ralph emerged from the bedroom looking haggard. Diane finally found her voice.

“Evie, what is going on? What are they talking about?”

“It’s a pack of lies. Ask him. He knows as much as I do.”

Evie glared at Ralph.

“He’s cooperating fully. Now please come with us.”

Evie sullenly shrugged.

“Sorry, big sis. This wasn’t how it was meant to go.”

Davis escorted her from the room, trailed by Ralph.

       Jack Martin turned to Diane.

“Mr. Mortimer’s late wife died very suddenly and conveniently. We have reason to believe she was murdered. We’re not sure if Mr. Mortimer was involved or if he was duped by your sister. She’s an accomplished fraudster. I believe what you told me last night about not knowing what she’s been doing, but we’ll need a statement from you.”

“So that was why you were talking to me last night?”

He smiled ruefully.

“I had no idea who you were. I just saw an attractive lady. For the record, I’m not married, and I’m sorry about your sister.”

The door closed behind him.

         That evening she gazed numbly as the beauty of another tropical sunset flared and faded. She quietly wept as it occurred to her that the glittering silver points in the pitch-black sky were the last light of cold dead stars unimaginably far away.

May 01, 2020 04:34

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.