0 comments

Fantasy Mystery Horror

You: Goodnight Babe, Love you :)

Danny: Night, lyt


Really he couldn't spell it out? Such a dry texter. When guys start saying LYT it's one step from breaking up. Right? Whatever I don't care, I'm going to bed.


I wonder what time my parents are coming home? How long can a banquet last? They left at 5:00pm it's now 11:00. I hope they're ok. I think as I walk into the bathroom. I take out my favorite lotion Pink Jasmine and get ready to brush my teeth. As I put the toothpaste on my toothbrush, I hear something outside. I look out the bathroom window and see my still backyard. What the? Is the dog outside? Better check.


"Lucy," I call waiting for my dog to come running. I wait a few moments and then decided that she must be outside when she doesn't come. I put down my toothbrush and started walking down the stairs. I stop suddenly when I hear the creak of a door open.


"Mom, Dad, is that you?" I call. I'm on the last stair of our old creaky staircase waiting for an answer.


"It's just the stairs," I tell myself as I take the last step down. Just then, I see the back door in the kitchen, leading outside creak all the way open. I quickly duck into the hall closet closing the door as quickly and quietly as possible. I rummage around the dark closet not wanting to risk being seen with the light on. I'm looking for one of my dad's many handguns. He's a cop, so he has them stashed all around the house.


They think I don't know there's at least one in every room including small closets but I do, luckily. I stand on a trunk in the closet and reach for the top shelf, finding his P238 (one of his favorites). I open the closet door slowly with my left hand and clutch the gun in my right. I open the door all the way making my way towards the open door in the kitchen. I'm now holding the gun with both hands one finger over the trigger. I'm really thanking my dad for all those trips to the range; thanks to him I'm actually a good shot.


I round the corner, and I'm now in line with the open door. I walk under the door frame to see my dad's keys on the floor next to my mom's fallen purse. Her belongings are falling out.


"Lucy!" I call walking outside with the gun still in front of me. Nothing? Where is she? I just want to get her and run back inside, lock myself in my room, and call 911. I circle around myself in a 360 turn to find Lucy laying in a corner next to a bush just before the forest.


"Lucy," I say again. "There you are," I say walking to her. I lower the gun but keep it in my hand as I kneel down beside her. It's very dark outside, and I can barely see her.


"Come on girl, wake up it's time to go inside," I say as I pet her soft fur only to touch something wet.


"What the heck?" I say out loud. I touch my pocket to see if I have my phone. I do. Should have taken this out earlier. I think turning on the flashlight mode.


"AHH!" I scream as I tumble back seeing blood covering her fur. It's still pouring out from her neck. This just happened. I drop my phone and clutch the gun with both hands frantically looking around my yard.


Then I see him.


A tall, deadly looking, handsome man. He stands still as a statue staring at me with blood dripping along his chin. Is he a Vampire? No, not possible. Behind him I see my parents laying next to each other on the ground with blood gushing from their necks. I stifle a scream, as I feel hot tears fill in my eyes. I stop them and point my gun at the man. He will pay for this. He’s only five feet from me, an easy shot. I point it at his heart and pull the trigger.


He stumbles back but that's all. I'm shocked and horrified as he starts walking towards me. I back up and shoot at him again. This time I get his stomach, but again he isn't affected. He lets out a loud growl like an animal. I shoot again this time aiming at his head. But, there’s no impact this time.


He caught it.


I decide to forget shooting him and try running back to the house. As I'm running I pick up my phone and dial 911. But, he grabs me, taking my phone and crushing it between his fingers. He drops it and wraps both arms around me holding me within his grasp.


"Let me go!" I scream, kicking and punching him. But, he doesn't budge. The tears come out now between screams.


"Be a quiet little girl, or I won't be so kind and spare your pointless life," he says much to calm.


I stop fighting him but I can't stop my tears from falling.

"You killed them!" I cry pounding on his chest. "My parents and my dog! You're a monster! You've already taken everything from me, please just let me go!" I cry, dropping my head against his shoulder. Suddenly I'm so tired, I can't keep my head up. He whispers a row of mixed-up words, it sounds like a spell. My crying stops suddenly, and I close my eyes giving in to the tiredness.

------

"Ough," I hear myself say as I wake up holding my head. It’s pounding. I'm on the couch but something is under me. I try to move but something tightens its grip on me and I now remember what happened. I try to get up more forcefully now pushing against this beast.


"Stop," he says, pushing me back into him. He's sitting on the couch and my legs are stalled over him. He pushes my head back on his chest and says, "Rest".


"No," I say, pushing against him. "Please, just let me sit alone?" I ask. He finally let's go making me sit beside him. I am very still, I dare not say a word. I am terrified. He stares at me for a while, then looks away towards the coffee table.


"I'm sorry," he says quietly.


"Like hell, you are," I say, then gasp and cover my mouth. He snaps his head toward me. Crap, that wasn't meant to come out. "I didn't-


"No, don't apologize. I'd say the same thing," he says, extending his hand. "I'm Draco," he says.


I just stare at his hand. Is he actually trying to be friendly after what he just did? He sees that I'm not going to shake his hand and sets it back down. "Let me explain," he says, pausing waiting for my protest. But, I'm done talking to him.


When he sees that I'm not going to talk he lets out a shaky breath and says. "I didn't know Adam and Sarah had a child," he says staring ahead. I still don't speak but find it weird that he knows my parent's names. "I don't kill for fun like the rest of my kind, I was sent out to kill them by the Vampire King,” he pauses. “Oh, and I'm sorry about your dog, she didn't have to die but she wouldn't stop barking." He looks at me waiting for me to talk.


I have no words. "The Vampire King never tells us the reason we kill our victims, but I assume it was because they knew too much about us. We are also instructed to kill any witnesses," at which he stops and just stares at me inching closer. My throat tightens. ME. I saw he had to kill ME. I say nothing but try to move away. He grabs me, of course and looks into my eyes. His eyes change from their blood-red color to emerald blue.


"I don't believe in killing innocent people," he says slowly, allowing me to understand. "I won't kill you, but you have to stay with me. If he finds out that you know about us he will kill you without hesitation" he says.


"You're mine now," he says. "Do you understand?" he asks.


His? I belong to no one. But, I will do what I must to survive. I will find a way out. I always do. I will leave him, and make him pay for what he did to my parents. Then I will find this "Vampire King" and kill him too. But, for now, I need to let him think he's got me and there's nothing I can do.


"Yes, I understand."




June 07, 2021 22:34

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.