A phone call from Dad

Submitted into Contest #30 in response to: Write a story about someone who receives an unexpected phone call.... view prompt

2 comments

General

Prompt: Write a story about someone who receives an unexpected phone call.

           The last thing I needed in class was for my phone to ring…while the professor was talking. Professor Bottoms had this rule that if your phone rings in class and you have to go out, you might as well have not come at all.

I swear I thought I had put my phone on vibrate because my ring tone is not one of this common ring tones that people can easily ignore. No. It’s the theme song to a popular 90’s sitcom. I’ll let your mind guess but I’ll give you a hint. It’s about six Friends.

Smiling sheepishly as Prof gave me her icy glare, I slowly stood up from my seat and made my way out side shutting the door silently.

Opening my phone, I recognized the number immediately.

It was Dad.

My dad who hadn’t bothered to give me a call in about 10 years. What was he doing calling now?

Taking a deep breath through my teeth, I answered

“Hello?”

“Hey Little bit.”

I bit back a growl at the sweet nickname he used to call me and begin pacing the halls.

“What do you want?” I snap.

He was silent on the other end for what felt like an eternity.

“I just want to talk.”

“You never just want ‘to talk’” I point out, gazing up at the posters on the bulletin board to distract myself. Asbury was known for its opportunities for students. Right now the posters were advertising a Sophomore showcase, and all class retreat and some Shakespearian play.

“What makes you say that?”

“Because GG and Mom say every time you call them, you’re usually asking for money.”

“Elizabeth, you know very well that’s not true.”

It was. I remember a story very clearly a story that my Mom had told me about how shortly after I was born he had gambled away all the money her grandmother had given her to pay for the basic things I would need.

I rolled my eyes to the celling, taking a deep breath counting backwards from ten.

“Look, if this isn’t important, I have to get back to class.”

I start to hang up but something makes me stop.

“Wait! This is actually very important.”

I shake my head God, help me

“Yes?’

“It’s about Jenny.”

“That sleezy waitress you went out with when I was 15?”

“Yes…”

“The one that became pregnant?”

With your demon spawn I add in my head

“Yes.”

“What about her?”

“She’s in the hospital.”

           I swallowed back grim in my throat. Sure, I didn’t like Jenny but I liked her kid. I mean, the kid was technically my little sister, But I won’t get into that.

“What happened?” I asked hoping I didn’t sound too uncaring

“She was walking down the stairs with some laundry and slipped on…something and hit her head. Lizzie, she’s pregnant again.”

“What’d she slip on?” I ask

“It doesn’t matter.”

What’d she slip on?” I growl, gripping the phone so tightly, he could probably hear the squeak of the case.

“…a beer bottle.”

“Dude!” I say throwing my hands in the air, getting a look from a tennis player and her friend not far from me as they waited for class to start.

“I know, I know. I’m an idoit.”

“At least you’re aware of something.”

“The reason I called is to ask you to watch Iris while I go to the hospital.”

“Why don’t you get your new mother in law to do it?”

“She doesn’t like me.”

“That’s a shock.” I say, voice dripping with sarcasm

“Elizabeth…”

“Look, I have school work and I’m working on some short stories for contests I don’t have time to watch your snot nosed brat.”

“Elizabeth….”

“I have to go.” I say, hanging up ignoring my sister’s crying in the background

           Shortly after class, as I’m walking across campus, trying not to freeze to death, I run into my friend, Mariah.

“Hey.” She smiled

“Hey” I sigh

“What’s up with you? I thought you’d be more excited about our anime movie marathon.”

“No no, I am. I really am. It’s just…I got this phone call today.”

“From?”

“My dad.” I explain

Mariah nods “And that’s bad because-?”

“He wanted me to baby sit Iris while he went to the hospital to check on Stepmommy dearest “

Mariah nodded silently

“Sounds like you need some comfort food.”

“You know it.”

“Why don’t you wait here and I’ll go get us some food from the bistro?”

I smirk up at her and hand her my id. As she heads to the bistro, I sit on a nearby bench before finally deciding to lay on it and stare up at the sky.

My phone chirps and I pull it out. It’s a text. From Dad.

I took your suggestion and got Iris’ grandmother to watch her.

I start to put the phone back thinking maybe I should’ve gone a little easier on the guy. Sure he’s a grade A jerk but he’s still my dad. Maybe I can tell him to meet Mariah and I at the Micky D’s and I can get Iris a happy meal or something like that. That is…if Iris is allowed junk food.

But then my phone chirps once more.

I open it to find another text from Dad. This one is filled with more words than I care to repeat so I sum it up in a more civil way he basically said .

Thanks for nothing. You’re not the person I thought you were.

I scowl a little bit and can’t help but think

I’m a whole lot better than you at least I treat people decently and with some respect.

Word to the wise. If you ever find yourself getting an unexpected phone call from your so-called Daddy and you’re compelled to answer it. Don’t.

It’ll make you hate the guy more.

February 21, 2020 20:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Kelsey Mathias
21:43 Mar 08, 2020

Hi Claudia, Of course, I'm curious...is this autobiographical? If so, must have been cathartic for you. I love the line "gripping the phone so tightly, he could probably hear the squeak of the case." Also like the reference to working on short stories for a contest. My heart felt for the protagonist when, just as she was thinking of doing something nice for her dad, he texts her that awful stuff you didn't print. If he'd only waited a bit, giving his daughter time to reconsider- after all- he called out of the blue and caught her off guard...

Reply

Claudia Cook
23:27 Mar 08, 2020

Thanks for the comment. It is kind of autobiographical. Except my dad messaged me on Facebook out of the blue. not call.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.