The Best Winter's Day

Submitted into Contest #80 in response to: Write about a child witnessing a major historical event.... view prompt

1 comment

African American Fiction American

She will never forget that day. The rain beat down on her bedroom window and the wind was howling through the one tree that was in her backyard so hard that she thought that the whole tree would come through her window. She scooted to the end of the bed and winced when the coolness of the floor touched her feet. She slid her pink bunny slippers on feet and they flipped and flopped as she walked towards the bedroom window. She pulled the ivory white curtain back and took a peak. She thought that the rain would never stop. She took a deep breath and let it out slowly conscious of her chest moving in and out. She closed her eyes for a brief second and opened them grabbing her torn red robe off of the chair near her bed. 

Maggie was only 6 years old but she was wise beyond her years. She slid down the railing which led downstairs to the kitchen. Her mom glanced up at her from the stove where she was cooking breakfast.  The smell of bacon cooking excited Maggie. It had been a long time since they had bacon with breakfast. Maggie usually grabbed a bowl of cereal, corn flakes, and what was left in the milk carton and watched the milk cover the cereal completely before she put the spoonful of sugar over all of it. Today was a special day though. Today they would feast on bacon and eggs and possibly some rye bread toast that they saved for school lunches and special occasions.  Today was special. The rye bread popped up from the toaster and Maggie smiled at her mom who was just finishing the eggs. 

“Are you ready for today?” Maggie’s mom asked.

“Yes, Mom. I am.” 

Maggie buttered a piece of toast and shoved it in her mouth taking the biggest bite she could. 

“Slow down. You will choke.” Her mom said getting Maggie a glass of milk.

“I won’t, Mom. I am just anxious.” 

“I know. I am too.” Her mom said sipping on their hot coffee.

“Hurry up, Mom. I think it is about to start.” Maggie nudged her mom’s arm as she passed her going to put her dishes in the sink.

“I am but first we both need to get dressed. We need to look our best today.” Her mom said.

“I am going to wear my pink dress and white shoes. I think I will wear my good white shoes, Mommy.” 

“Fine. Me too. Me too.” 

“Mommy, are you going to wear your Sunday church dress too?” Maggie asked her mom.

“I think that is a good idea. I am going to wear my Sunday’s best today. I think that it is the right day to wear it and dress up. And I am going to wear my good pearls too. I love those pearls that came from my aunt Jess. I never get the chance to wear them but today is the day.” 

The clasp was cold as Maggie’s mom fastened it on her neck. She patted her pearls around her neck with her left hand and said a little prayer as she always does when she wears Aunt Jess’ pearls. They went nicely with her purple dress and black flats. 

The sound of the knock on the bedroom door startled her and she turned around and it was Maggie who had turned the doorknob and entered her mom’s bedroom. Maggie was all dressed up in her pink Sunday dress and white tights and white Mary Jane shoes. She had tried to comb her hair and put little pink ribbons on her free flowing ponytails. 

“How do I look?” Maggie asked her mom.

“You look beautiful, Honey.” 

“You look beautiful too, Mommy.” 

“Thanks Baby Girl.” Maggie’s mom took her tiny hand and they walked back downstairs to the living room.

“Are you ready sweetie?” Maggie’s mom turned to her little girl and asked.

“Ready and excited.” Maggie answered.

Maggie and her mom sat together on the sofa in front of the TV and her mom turned it on. The buzz of the TV coming on and warming up was music to their ears.

It was a cold winter’s day in November  2008. Maggie and her mom waited until the screen on the TV was filled with the pictures of the news. It was the day that America was choosing a new president. 

“Mommy, do you think that he will win?” Maggie looked at her mom with her big bright brownish eyes blinking several times in a row like she always did when she got nervous.

“I don’t know, Honey, all we can do is wait and see. And keep our fingers crossed.”

“Can we say a little prayer?” Maggie asked.

“Sure we can, Baby girl, we are after all dressed in our church clothes. Our Sunday’s best. A prayer would be nice.” 

Maggie closed her eyes and folded her hands in front of her. She whispered a little prayer followed by a very loud, Amen. 

“Mommy, I said a prayer for everyone. “ Maggie smiled her big beautiful smile.

Maggie’s mom, Casey, smiled too. 

The words coming from the TV seemed louder than usual on this cold January morning but Maggie couldn’t take her eyes off the screen and she couldn’t hear anything else but what the man was saying on the screen on her television. Maggie knew that today in one way or the other it would be historic. No matter who won.

“I can’t wait until I am old enough to vote.” Maggie said to her mom who was also starring at the television screen. 

“I know. I can’t wait to take you to the polls to cast your first vote either, baby girl. That will be an epic day.” Her mom answered.

“What does epic mean, Mommy?” Maggie asked.

“It means a great day.” Casey told her little girl.

“Oh you mean like my birthday parties? They are epic too.” Maggie said laughing.

“Yes, it will be as epic as that.” Maggie’s mom responded.

“Mommy, how many people can run for president again?”

“As many people who want to. Then it is narrowed down to two people. “

“What is narrowed?”

“It is like the rest of the people go home kind of.” Casey tried to explain,

“Oh I see.” Maggie said, still glued to the television. 

“How long will it take before we know?” Maggie asked.

“It can take a long time to count the votes but I think that we are almost there and they should know who won pretty soon.”

At that moment a news reporter came on the television and announced that we had a new president. The first African American president was elected.

Maggie cheered loudly as if she was in the room with him. She jumped up and down and swung her little arms back and forth and up and down as if she were holding invisible pom-poms. Her eyes lit up and a big smile came across her little brown face. 

“We did it, Mommy!” Maggie screamed. 

“Yes, Maggie we certainly did.” 

Maggie hugged her mom in the tightest and biggest hug she ever

 gave her. 

“Now the speech Mommy.” Maggie said as she pointed to the television when she saw her new president walk across her screen.

February 10, 2021 01:40

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Courtney C
18:33 Feb 15, 2021

Nice story! I feel like it really captured the essence of a child's enthusiastic response, and the ending felt touching and sweet. My only feedback is that at the beginning, your dialogue feels a little stiff. As well, there's different rules for punctuating your dialogue, depending on the circumstance: "Yep," Maggie said. "Yep." Maggie pushed away her bowl of cereal. Example: Slightly revised from your work “Slow down, Maggie. You'll choke,” her mom said, getting Maggie a glass of milk. “I won’t, Mom.” Her mother was always worrying ab...

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.