Homecoming

Submitted into Contest #9 in response to: Write a story about unrequited love.... view prompt

0 comments

Romance

"We should get pictures!" I jumped up off of the ground and swiftly brushed off my dress.

"Again?" My best friend, Paisley, asked as I pulled her towards the photo booth.

"Please, just one more group picture?" I pleaded.

We gathered our friends and we waited in line. As we waited, Paisley whispered, "Hey, I'll be right back, I'm going to check on Wilson."

I rolled my eyes and winked. I hated Wilson, and she knew that. But he made her happy so I made an exception.

I looked at my group of friends, buzzing with excitement. I smiled.

For years, I dreamt about going to my first homecoming. Having fun with my friends, dancing with an amazing guy, and having a good time.

I thought about Elijah. My hand floated to my corsage and I smiled. He was amazing, sweet, handsome. Everything I imagined when I thought about the perfect guy.

He treated me like I was the only girl in the room, and he made me feel comfortable. I couldn't have imagined anything better. Sure, we had some bumps in the road, but nothing I couldn't overlook for him.

"Hazyl," Paisley shook my arm, and my attention diverted to her face, with my other friend, Rayanne standing behind her. They looked worried and concerned. "I don't know if I should tell you this."

"What is it?" I asked, confused. She hesitated.

"I know you were worried about Maria and Elijah."

My stomach dropped. That was the biggest bump in the road I'd faced in the past two weeks.

Two days after Elijah asked me to be his girlfriend, a friend of mine, Maria, walked up to me and said she had something to tell me.

So I waited until after school that day and waited with her. She didn't seem very thrilled to tell me, but she did. "I had a crush on Elijah before you started dating him. But I don't anymore. He's all yours."

At first, I was shocked and kind of defensive. But she looked sincere, and I took her word for it. Honestly a big mistake.

"What about them?" My voice shook as I asked.

"I don't know how to say this," Paisley trailed off.

"Maria and Elijah are dancing. Together. They're slow dancing." Rayanne finished.

My heart kind of stopped for a second. I felt myself spiraling and I wasn't quite sure what to do.

After a brief moment, I decided, "I want to see them. I want proof."

Paisley paused for a little while, and then nodded, "Okay." She grabbed my hand and pulled me towards the gym, where the dance floor was.

Right inside the door, I saw Elijah and Maria holding hands and dancing. I stared for a second or two before turning around and walking to the bathroom.

A group of my friends followed me into the bathroom. One by one, they all gathered around and whispered amongst themselves. That is until Charlie pushed a bunch of people away except for my closest friends.

My remaining friends, Katherine, Rayanne, Paisley, and Lindsey stared at me for a moment or two. I didn't know what to say, or how to react.

I began by peeling off my fake nails. "Of all nights, why tonight? Why homecoming?"

"What happened? Naomi asked as she rushed into the bathroom, Patience following quickly behind.

I reached for Patience and I hugged her. And when I collected myself, I explained. I told them about Maria, and her crush on Elijah. I told them that they were in there slow dancing.

They all stood in silence. It was awkward, I admit. I began taking my hair out and rubbing my makeup off. "What are you doing?" Paisley asked, grabbing my hand.

"I want to go home."

"No," Rayanne interrupted, "We're going to go dance without him."

I looked at my friends and I gave a weak smile, "Okay. Let's go dance."

The rest of my night sucked. I danced to some good music, sure. But I couldn't stop thinking about Elijah and Maria. I just wanted to go home. And I did.

I cried in the car. And I cried when I got home. And I cried in my Dad's arms. And as I was wiping off the rest of my makeup and taking off my dress, I heard my phone go off. I picked it up and saw a text from Katherine.


Kathy: Hey, how are you?


Me: I don't know. I just want to cry.


Kathy: How about you come over? We can hangout.


I looked down at the phone for a minute.


Me: Okay. Let me pack a bag.


I smiled and I went outside. "Hey, Dad, I'm going to Katherine's house." He nodded sleepily. I looked at the clock. 12:06.

I ran back inside and shoved some sweatpants and a t-shirt into a bag, along with some other stuff and I headed to Katherine's.

And I spent the night, or morning, rather, crying and complaining about Elijah. And it just got progressively worse throughout the week.

Elijah and Maria got closer. I saw them walking in the hallways together, and I saw them eating lunch at the same table, something him and I would do. They smiled and they were happy. I couldn't bear to look at Maria without wanting to cry. And it was worse when I saw Elijah. My heart would stop and I would nearly break down.

It hurt so much to see him. Especially with Maria. It broke my heart. And I didn't know what to do about it. Elijah didn't want to talk to me. He even went as far as to block me.

And I had to come to terms with it. I remember the whispers. I heard people say repeatedly, "Hazyl and Elijah were never going to make it. They were never going to work out." I even remember someone saying, "Maria and Elijah are worth it. They'll work. Elijah and Hazyl was a mistake."

Yesterday was by far the worst day of all. There was a home football game. I performed during halftime as part of the color guard, and Elijah was in the marching band.

And as we warmed up, a large crack of thunder rung through the gym. And almost instantly, I began freaking out. I was panicking and I was anxious. Thunderstorms and I don't get along.

But it gets worse. The first thing that flashed through my mind was: "Where's Elijah." And as I panicked, I just wanted to hug him. And to have him wrap his arms around me, and to inhale his familiar smell. I remember the day I gave his sweatshirt back. I remember nearly crying and holding it tightly.

I was scared, and I wanted to hold him. I longed for him to wrap his arms around me and make me feel safe. But I didn't get that anymore.

I remember catching myself staring at him, and one time he stared back and my heart broke even more. I wanted him back.

But he didn't feel the same way.

September 28, 2019 17:15

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.