Apologies for a Job Poorly Done

Submitted into Contest #54 in response to: Write a story about someone looking to make amends for a mistake.... view prompt

11 comments

Thriller Drama

“Gwynnie, is that you?” Gwyneth hated when she called her Gwynnie. No matter how many times Gwyneth had asked Cambree to NOT call her that, she still insisted on using that childish nickname. But Gwyneth bit her tongue. After today, she would never have to hear Cambree call her Gwynnie again.

    “It is me.” Gwyneth took off her dark oversized glasses and smiled at Cambree. 

    “I barely recognized you! Your sunglasses and large straw hat covered your face. I was like, who’s that strange woman heading up my driveway?” Cambree laughed.

    “I had to come and welcome you home from the hospital.” Gwyneth hoped she sounded more cheery than she felt. 

    “You didn’t have to do that! I’m fine.”

    “Nonsense. Of course I had to. I also made you some treats.” Gwyneth held up a pitcher of sweet tea with some pretty edible flowers in it and a tray of Danish pastries.

    “You’re a good friend. Come in, come in.” Cambree stepped aside and let Gwyneth in. “Oh! Look at that pretty thing in my driveway. Gwynnie, what happened to your car?”

    “It’s a rental,” Gwyneth said. “My car’s in the shop for some repairs.”

    “It’s nothing serious, I hope.” Cambree led the way to the kitchen.

    “No, thank God. It’s an easy fix. At least, that’s what the mechanic said.” Gwyneth set the pitcher of tea and tray down. Cambree got out a couple of tea cups and placed them on the table next to Gwyneth’s treats. 

    “It was really nice of you to stop by to check on me,” Cambree said. “Second best thing to happen this week.”

    “I assume the first is being discharged from the hospital,” Gwyneth said.

    “I do love being back at home. I’ll be in the office soon enough. I miss everyone there too.”

    “They told me there’s no rush to have you back. All that matters is that you’re healthy again.”

    “Yes. My doctor told me I was lucky. If I had been admitted later, the poison would have gotten me.” 

    “Do you have any idea how you were poisoned?” Gwyneth asked.

    “Not really. Though I did get sick at the retirement party for Edita from accounting.”

    “You think someone at work did this to you? How awful! Do you have an idea of who it could be?”

    “I’ve thought about our coworkers,” Cambree said. “I couldn’t imagine any of them wanting to hurt me. Maybe someone at the restaurant who catered our lunch? Although, I couldn’t imagine why they would do that either.” 

    “Despite all the odds, you’re here now on the other side.” Gwyneth poured out the tea. 

    “It’ll take more than a little poison to take me out!” Cambree declared.

    “Try the tea. It might make you feel better.” Gwyneth watched as Cambree took a sip.

    “It’s delicious! I liked how you added the flowers to it. It makes me feel like a princess.” Cambree took another sip of the tea Gwyneth made specially for her.

    “I guess we’re just lucky that all the ingredients were not only tasty, but also nice to look at!” Gwyneth said. 

    “I know! Lucky us!” Cambree giggled.

    “I hope you like the pastries too.” Gwyneth pushed the tray closer to Cambree. “I took them out of the oven before coming over.” Cambree picked up a Danish pastry and bit into it. 

    “Gwynnie, how is it that you’re still single if you can cook like this?” 

    “It’s nothing like the feasts you produce,” Gwyneth said.

    “I bet if you spend some more time with me, you’d make the perfect wife! I know Kayson still has a lot of single friends we could pair you up with.” Cambree took a larger bite of the pastry.

    “I don’t need your help finding someone,” Gwyneth said. “In fact, Cambree, can you keep a secret?”

    “Of course! You know me!” Cambree’s perfectly made up eyes lit up. “What’s up?”

    “The truth is, I found someone I like.” Gwyneth scooted closer to Cambree.

    “Tell me all about him!” Cambree encouraged.

    “I can’t.” Gwyneth shook her head. 

    “Gwynnie, we’re friends!” Gwyneth knew Cambree was hooked now. “You can tell me anything.”

    “Okay, fine,” Gwyneth said. “It all started at the coffee shop.”

    “A meet-cute! How exciting!” Cambree drank her tea.

    “Yeah, we got along right from the get-go,” Gwyneth said. “We soon became inseparable! I really think he could be the one, Cambree.”

    “Well, what’s his name? When do I get to meet him?”

    “Unfortunately, he’s out of town. And even though I like him a lot, our relationship is complicated.”

    “Oh, I’m sorry to hear that, Gwynnie.”

    “Enough about me! I feel awful! Kayson left you all alone while you’re recovering from a scary near death experience and I’m talking about myself!” Gwyneth said.

    “Nonsense! It’s great having you here and hearing you talk about your secret admirer,” Cambree smiled. “It lets me take my mind off of things.”

    “Well, that’s good.” Gwyneth watched as Cambree finished the last of her tea and pastry. “Cambree, I’m afraid this isn’t just a social call. I need to apologize to you.”

    “Apologize? Gwynnie, what for?” Cambree asked, a bit concerned.

    “I gave you the wrong dose,” Gwyneth admitted. 

    “You… you what?” Cambree tried to wrap her head around Gwyneth’s admission.

    “Yeah. I was sloppy and I made you suffer needlessly,” Gwyneth sighed. 

    “You… you were the one who poisoned me?” Cambree asked. “Why?”

    “Kayson and I are in love,” Gwyneth said. “But he told me he would never leave you. So, I thought if you were out of the picture, Kayson and I could live the life we deserve.”

    “Gwynnie, how… my chest.” Cambree grabbed her chest. She fell to the floor. Cambree opened her mouth to speak, but all that came out were grunts. She gasped for air. Gwyneth knelt down beside her.

    “This isn’t what I wanted, you know. Because of my mistake and how quickly our coworkers got you to the hospital, you have to go through this all over again.” Cambree stared straight at Gwyneth. Cambree tried to say something, but couldn’t. The poison was working fast. It will be all over soon and Gwyneth needed to say what she came here to say. “Cambree, I’m sorry for making you suffer needlessly. But rest assured, this time I got it right. There won’t be a third time.” 

    Cambree took her last breath. After a moment, Gwyneth closed Cambree's eyes and stood up. She put her dark sunglasses back on. “I suppose we both are thankful for that, aren’t we?”

August 11, 2020 19:06

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

11 comments

21:53 Aug 26, 2020

I really liked the names Gwyneth and Cambree! I never would of thought that Gwyneth was the one that poisoned her. Great job!!

Reply

22:19 Aug 26, 2020

I agree! Terrific job! Now that I look back I see that you gave a few subtle hints that it was her but I didn't realize that at the time.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Whitney Trang
22:39 Aug 26, 2020

Thank you, Scarlett! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Whitney Trang
22:40 Aug 26, 2020

Thank you Blair! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 3 replies
B. W.
17:09 Aug 28, 2020

Hey, i think i might have said something with you about "Goddess child" earlier if you went and read it, i'm not fully sure. though i finished with part 2 for the series and its called "The Camp" and i was wondering if you could go and give it a read? i'd like to see what you have to say for it.

Reply

Whitney Trang
23:13 Aug 28, 2020

Hi! I would love to check it out!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
B. W.
14:23 Aug 26, 2020

I really liked this story, you did great with it. i also really like the names i don't think i've ever seen those be used ever. i was also wondering if you could check out if you havent "Goddess child" and "Legend of evie" ? i'd love to see what you have to say

Reply

Whitney Trang
16:14 Aug 26, 2020

Hi BW! Thanks for your comments and would love to check out your stories!

Reply

B. W.
16:18 Aug 26, 2020

No problem ^^ thanks im a bit excited to see what ya think

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Amany Sayed
21:53 Aug 11, 2020

Oh, wow, great story! I knew there was something wrong when Gwennie didn't take one bite of the pastry and how she was pushing them towardsCambree. I love the names, by the way! Anyway, a very creative take on the prompt! Keep writing!

Reply

Whitney Trang
23:10 Aug 11, 2020

Thank you! Glad you liked it! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.