The life of a princess

Submitted into Contest #58 in response to: Write a story about someone feeling powerless.... view prompt

41 comments

Creative Nonfiction

Living in a palace is not all bad; there are some benefits that come into it such as not having anyone to talk to or having a set routine; which is monitored. Furthermore, not getting the choice to make your own decisions.

Wait these are all the bad things. I don’t think there are actually any benefits.

Well I would describe the palace as a cage; a cage where you can’t get out whatsoever. I feel like I’m a prisoner; suffocating here having no air to breathe and slowly drowning.

I’m trapped and there is no way out. I search for something, anything, a crevice, a seal, but the walls are a shiny surface with no clues as to how I ever got in here in the first place. In the half-light of morning the gardens were eerie. It wasn't just that it was a still day; the air simply didn't move. The white washed corridors was bereft of noise, as if every murmur and rustle was stolen away in the night. The sky was empty, not just of birds, but of clouds also. There was no weather at all; even the sunlight felt cold.

“Princess Rina, your father is calling you downstairs; please come immediately” said my nursemaid Fiona. I didn’t even notice that she had entered.

Panic overwhelmed me. Have they found out about Tyler?

I nodded and she shut the door behind me.

Reluctantly, I went downstairs; trying to walk like an elegant lady. It was hard work

I could see my father’s eyes follow me down. Next to him was my older brother: Refael. Next in line to the throne.

Unenthusiastically, I had to bow to my father and then my mother. Then I stood in front of him; I never dared to look him in the eye so I looked down.  

I felt his eyes examine my whole body; however I couldn’t stop shaking.

“Hello, your majesty” I said. It came out as a harsh and cold sound.

“Dearest Rina, I am pleased to inform you that there has been a marriage proposal from the prince of Tazbekistan for your hand in marriage.” A vicious smile curled onto the side of his lip.

What. Had I just heard this right?

Oh no; it can’t be.

As I opened my mouth to speak I couldn’t do it; no words came out. I wanted to say no. I wanted to get away from him and not marry this stranger. Why couldn’t I say it?

“You will do this for our family” my father said harshly.

 “You will, I need to make them into our alliance. You are going to do it for the future of Elbonia” he said. Hardening like a rock, his forehead scrunched up and his eyes stared at me trying to manipulate me. Immobility took over him; he looked like a statue. Next to him Refael mouthed the words I’m sorry and went back to his upright position

Why couldn’t I say no?

Next to him my mother looked pale and young; her beautiful hair was braided into a bun and she had a plain and casual dress on. Nevertheless she couldn’t say anything against the king.

I was like a pawn in his game.

This was worse than I had expected.

A word came into my head: Tyler. What was I going to tell him? I can’t go yet otherwise someone might see me; I’ll have to go at night.

I couldn’t fight the king; all my energy was draining out of me. I could imagine the prince of Tazbekistan; his stony and overage face and I could see that it disgusted me and I could imagine his blood red eyes were staring into my soul trying to cause me pain

I can’t marry someone I don’t love.

At night I crept inside the castle making sure no one would see me. I knew all the secret passageways and I had been down this corridor many times. As I got to the end of the barn I could see Tyler tending to the horses. My heart skipped a beat when I saw him. His eyes were shot with pain when he saw me. He knew about it.

“Please Tyler, let me explain” I whispered as I walked closer to him.

“Its fine” he mumbled “I knew this day was eventually going to come; you can’t fight against your father”

“I will tell my dad that I don’t want to marry the prince and he will have to deal with it; I want to be with you Tyler” I told him. I wanted him to look happy but he didn’t change his expressions; instead he started shovelling hay.

I edged closer to him and looked deeply into his eyes; he stared into mine. I wanted to come closer but he backed away.

“You should go it’s getting late” he said severely. He went off and left me there; I couldn’t contain myself so I ran towards my room.

My mind was surging with perplexity. I didn’t know what to do.

I could run away.

That idea intrigued me; I was fascinated how easy it was just to leave everything and run away with Tyler. We could start our own life together; just us two.

I heard the door open and my mother came in. She wore a solemn look and sat on the edge of my bed. I could see the red flushed in her cheeks and her slender fingers were smoothing out the surface of the bed. Putting her head down, she avoided making eye contact with me.

“Rina you have to marry the prince” she stuttered. I knew that she was sent by Father. “We all have to give up something in life and this is for the good of Elbonia.” This was not my mother talking in fact it was my father.

I couldn’t even argue against my mother because eventually I wouldn’t have a choice in this decision. If I ran away and got caught it wouldn’t be as bad for me as it would be for Tyler.

I have to tell Tyler.

Next day when I went into the barn I could see him with his usual horse. I walked towards him and stopped right in front of him trying to keep as much distance as possible.

“I’m sorry Tyler” I whispered.

He nodded and backed away leaving me there all alone.

Tears stared gushing down my eyes. I couldn’t help myself. The cacophony of sounds reverberated in the ambiance however I pushed them all out because my feelings were screaming with anguish. I could feel my forehead radiating torture. I would feel his presence going away. My chest grew heavy with distress and I couldn’t expect him to give me comfort so I ran away.

Now I am marrying the prince. A man who I have never seen before in my entire existence. He would the person who I would spend the rest of my life with. This wasn’t even my choice.

I feel so powerless.

September 11, 2020 22:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

41 comments

Dhwani Jain
04:12 Jul 19, 2021

Oh....this is a really sad story. I thought it would end in a happy way, but hey! Not all princesses get their happily-ever-after! Great work di!

Reply

Palak Shah
09:48 Jul 19, 2021

Thank you so much for this awesome feedback Dhwani :)) I really appreciate it :))

Reply

Dhwani Jain
10:25 Jul 19, 2021

Thank YOU for this fabulous read!

Reply

Palak Shah
17:07 Jul 19, 2021

:)))))))

Reply

Dhwani Jain
05:00 Jul 24, 2021

Hello Palak di! I got 2 new quizzes for ya'!

Reply

Palak Shah
14:10 Jul 24, 2021

I'm coming :))

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Dhwani Jain
12:00 Jul 27, 2021

Hello Palak di, THIS IS A MESSAGE THAT I WANT YOU TO TELL EVERYONE YOU MEET HERE THIS WEEK: Hey, tell as many people as you can that Reedsy's updating this Thursday-Friday and to remember your password, because after it updates you'll need to know it to prove it's you and I don't want people getting locked out THIS WAS SENT TO ME BY "Em, Detective (𝚁𝕒𝚅𝕖𝚗 𝚃𝚑𝕠𝚁𝚗𝚑𝕖𝕒𝚛𝚃)".

Reply

Palak Shah
08:25 Jul 28, 2021

Hey Dhwani, Thanks for letting me know, I will bear that in mind :)))

Reply

Dhwani Jain
09:45 Jul 28, 2021

Yeah, welcome! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Dhwani Jain
09:49 Jul 28, 2021

Hey, You're a coder?! Which all languages do you know? I've been into it lately and I know HTML, QB64, Logo, and Python (doing that right now).... Also, any tips for coding.....'cause I get my programs wrong sometimes and it takes me a long time to get the error.....

Reply

Palak Shah
08:40 Jul 29, 2021

Well I know advanced levels of python because that is my favourite language and I know the basics of HTML Personally, a tip from my side would be to try to look at other people's code and see what is happening and if there is anything you would like to take from that. It is always good to see other codes and make ours better In terms of getting the program wrong, don't worry about it because everyone does just make a note of your mistakes.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Dhwani Jain
13:50 Jul 18, 2021

🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫 I'll be reading this story soon!

Reply

Palak Shah
16:38 Jul 18, 2021

I hope you enjoy it :)))

Reply

Dhwani Jain
03:09 Jul 19, 2021

Yeah...it's in my reading list rn

Reply

Palak Shah
09:47 Jul 19, 2021

yay :))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Pratik Bhandari
04:52 Sep 16, 2020

Good one

Reply

Palak Shah
15:20 Sep 16, 2020

Thank you

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.