6 comments

Historical Fiction

I rubbed my eyes at the break of day, letting the sun sting my unadjusted eyes. Once my vision cleared I slowly crawled out of the thick blanket that provided warmth for me during the chilly night. Mama had laid out my nice plaid button down shirt and bow tie with black dress pants to slip on for my first day at my new school. The clothes were neatly folded and draped over my dresser. My dresser also has a faded picture of my friends and I on our first day of Kindergarten. I sure do miss all my friends from my other school, but Mama said I will make new ones. She says that this is a great opportunity to further my education (Whatever that means). 

I finished getting dressed and raced down the steps to the lovely smell of green tea and toasted bread. I greet Mama in the kitchen as she brings me into a comforting hug. Her eyes are filled with an endless amount of mixed emotions, but I can’t quite put my finger on which ones she is feeling right now. She brings me a cup of milk and a slice of toast, while her teacup warms her frozen fingers. 

“Last night sure was chilly, huh Charlie?” Mama said between shivers.

I nodded respectfully not talking with my mouth full. That was one of Mama’s rules. I always had to be polite in her presence, or else she would give me the look. And I know every kid I’ve ever met has been given the look before too. Aside from that, my mama is the prettiest and kindest woman anyone could ever meet. Papa used to always say how lucky he was to have her. I know I’m lucky to have her too. 

Mama finished her cup of tea and turned to me with a wide smile. Did I mention my mother was beautiful?   

“Are you ready for school, Charlie?” she questioned. 

I swallowed my last bite of bread and replied with a yelp. To my unfortune, my voice echoed through the house. I guess I am just a natural at being loud, as most kids are.   

Mama responded quickly with a chastising finger towards her light brown lips. “Careful not to wake your sister.” 

That reminds me. Let me talk about my sister Elizabeth (Beth for short). Well, there isn’t much to say. She is a full two years younger than me, but I think she is going through her teenage phase early. She is the most bossiest and demanding four year old I know, and she is big into makeup. I don’t know why Mama keeps giving her that stuff. 

Anyway, I reply to my mother with a silent zip of the lips. I even tuck the key into my upper pocket on my “first day at a new school” plaid shirt. Mama smiles and reaches over to adjust my bow tie. After she is satisfied she stands back to admire her fine little boy. As if that wasn’t enough, she leans back over and rubs her soft hand through my hair and pinches my smooth chocolate cheeks. Blushing, I grab my jacket and fasten the buttons, hoping they will provide protection from this bleak morning. Mama also zips her jacket and hands me my books. Then, she takes my hand and we walk out the door together. Today is going to be great!

I skip out the door without a care in the world, until I practically run into someone. To my surprise, I see a man with a shiny gold badge and a blue jacket, waiting outside my front door. He had the palest white face with dark hair and brown eyes. My mind starts racing. Who was this man? Did I do something wrong? Maybe it is my new teacher! Was Mama seeing someone? No. That couldn’t be. Papa was the only man for her. But what if she moved on? As the questions still fumble through my head, Mama approaches the man with a light smile and shakes his muscular hand. I cock my head in disbelief. 

“Officer, this is my son Charles Nickleson, but he would prefer to be called Charlie,” Mama stated. Then, Mama motioned for me to step closer. 

I shook my head reluctantly. The only thing I knew about this guy was that he was big, strong and his name was Officer. 

“It’s all right Mr. Nicklson, I don’t bite.” Officer said with an affectionate smile. 

I eased a bit and took a small step forward. 

“What...What’s going on Mama?” I asked, my voice trembling. 

“Don’t worry,” Mama reassured, “This fine young man is going to be taking you to school today.” 

“Why?” I whispered, “We never had to do this at the old school.” 

“It’s going to be alright. We just want to make sure that you are safe. I would come with you, but you know I have to care for Elizabeth. And Officer Greg will take great care of you.” 

I took a note. First name: Officer. Last Name: Greg 

After that, Mama forced me into the car, gave me a fat kiss, and waved to me till I couldn’t see her anymore.  

“How are you today young man?” Officer asked, my head still gazing in the direction of Mama.  

I didn’t say a word. I used to be able to walk with Mama to school. I would run ahead to goof off with Sammy and Otis (my two best friends for life), while Mama would stay close behind, her hand in Beth’s. The flashback made my heart warm. 

After about ten minutes of driving (and daydreaming),  out of the corner of my eye, I saw it. My new school. There were so many people! They were all lined up along the walkway of the school, signs in hand. My eyes filled with joy, but also sadness. I was excited to see all the people, but I was sad that Mama wasn’t there with them. 

As we got closer I could hear the people shouting and their faces were growing red. The wheels in my head started turning, but were halted by the sound of Officer’s voice.

“When we get out of the car, I need you to stay close to me, son. Do you hear me?” 

My mind traveled from the people to Officer. I grew angry for a second, speaking before I processed the words through my mind. 

“I am NOT your son.” 

Officer shut up right after that comment, and I knew Mama wouldn’t be happy with me either. 

We approached the school, and I got a really good look at the crowd. They seemed really angry. While I was waiting for Officer to get out of the car, I took a moment to really look at the vehicle I would be riding in every day. I have to admit, it was a really nice car. It was black and white with lights on the top. I didn’t get to see them light up, but I knew they would. People on the television have cars like that. Boy, would I like to have one of them when I’m older. 

I drew my attention back to the crowd as Officer led me up to the school. They looked real scary. I tried not to focus on them, but I couldn’t bring my mind to happy thoughts. I read a few of their signs, but they weren’t happy at all, and their cheers were filled with cruel words. 

I tried to let my mind wander but all I could think about was the sad signs they were holding, and the mean things they were saying. 

“Go home!”

“You don’t belong!” 

“You are a disease!” 

Their words made me want to cry. I buried my face into my jacket, having second thoughts about my new school. Maybe the kids would be nicer. 

Officer, on the other hand, didn’t seem phased at all. He told me to keep walking and to look at my feet. For once, I did what he told me. 

When we got to the door, I was met by a teacher who brought me inside. As the teacher walked me down the hall there was only one thought lingering in my mind, “I guess those people really don’t like Officer.” Then the teacher led me to my first class, on my first day, at a new school, with my plaid button down shirt and bow tie.


June 05, 2020 02:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

6 comments

Tvisha Yerra
02:47 Jun 11, 2020

"I took a note. First name: Officer. Last Name: Greg" My favorite line. And it was very interesting and kid-friendly. Love it! :)

Reply

12:30 Jun 11, 2020

Haha! Thanks so much! I was trying to add details to describe how Charlie was oblivious to what was going on. He didn't know why everything was happening, which I would assume is how many other kids felt as well. I'm so glad you liked!

Reply

Tvisha Yerra
14:48 Jun 11, 2020

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Deborah Angevin
21:18 Jun 10, 2020

I was anticipating a super big twist at the end! But it is still a great story :)

Reply

21:31 Jun 10, 2020

Thanks! I'm glad you like it! I am new to this platform so I am so happy that you took the time to read my story!

Reply

Deborah Angevin
08:10 Jun 11, 2020

I'm quite new myself! Looking forward to more stories from you :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.