Out With Toxic Natures

Submitted into Contest #103 in response to: Write about a character looking for a sign.... view prompt

0 comments

Adventure Contemporary Fiction

Alia was outside in Central Park.

She still rolled her eyes whenever she got compared to Rachel Berry or Jane Gloriana Villanueva. So what if she had Rachel's dramatic need for self-expression?

Sure, she could be a little high strung sometimes, but what theater kid wasn’t high-strung?

Hallie knew in her mind that she was iconic. That wasn’t an ego boost that she loved to boast to others. She genuinely believed that she was destined for greatness in life.

Having a peaceful life still took some getting used to. The trauma she went through while fighting in Operainia, her home country, and Italy, the place she traveled to in order to run away from it, still lingered on her. Sometimes Alia still beat herself up about feeling that trauma. Her former self would have wanted to just rush through the healing process and just get it over with. But, thanks to therapy and a reality check, she had to grudgingly accept the fact that it wouldn’t happen that easily.

Opening about the death of both of her parents was one thing. With Paolo, she knew that she could trust him.

In a rare moment of self-reflection, she knew it was best to trust Paolo than be distrustful like everyone else from her home country.

When she had first went to Sicily, she never thought that good things could happen to people like her.

Being with Paolo was the sign that she needed to learn how to trust others and the world to grow as a person. There was no one else who understood her better than he did.

But believing in signs was something that was another new tasks that she still grew into. She never believed in fate, destiny, or the idea of pure good luck. Then again, she had to believe in magic again. If she didn’t believe in it, no one else would.

So she went out there and looked for a sign, any sign that made Alia realize that she wasn’t unrealistic about pursuing an acting career.

It’s not like being an actress was at the top of her biggest ambitions. If Alia was being completely honest, she never even considered that role. What person would want to spend their entire life in front of a camera playing characters that are just as flawed as her? Then there was the public scrutiny: the paparazzi, stalker fans, and interviews that would cast you in a bad light if you even said one phrase out of context.

She stopped by at a diner called Terry’s. It was a rainy day, but thankfully, there was a rare moment of sunlight that was going to pave the great streets of Los Angeles. She ordered her usual cappuccino and settled near her favorite window. The pensive thoughts were finally at bay.

“Oh, you are such an embarrassment! Why did I ever marry you? I should be the one who married George Clooney, not what’s-her-face?”

Suddenly, out of nowhere, Alia turned and saw a wary husband and wife waiting to get their menus at her comfortable restaurant.

What is it about me attracting unhappy people in lovely restaurants? She thought. Is it like some kind of omen or something?

The woman was a petite woman, about 5’3”, and she was actually kind of beautiful. Too bad the stern face really made her have an unattractive aura. Alia couldn’t help but look at this couple. Sure, she and Paolo weren’t perfect, but at least they weren’t that couple. No one wanted to be that couple at all. Everyone knows them: the overworked wife who pretends she actually gives a hoot about housework, PTA meetings, and the whole “acting sexy for your husband” act. Then you have the husband who swears that he won’t cheat on you, but in reality, he will just resent you down the long run.

They were harsh realities, but those were a concept Alia had become accustomed to in her country Operainia.

The worst part was Stern Lady wouldn’t stop. She was drumming her fingers impatiently, as if everyone else’s time wasn’t as important as hers. How melodramatic!

“And did you have to take me to this crappy restaurant? I wanted to go to Mastro’s Restaurant in Beverly Hills with the rest of my girlfriends. But no, you thought your pathetic mother needed to see her incompetent son, so we’re stuck in a crappy city like Boston whose only identity is to be represented through a mediocre baseball team.”

If anything, she thought Stern Lady was being an entitled witch. As history repeats itself, Alia confronted the woman.

She yelled across the not-so-crowded restaurant. “Hey, leave that guy alone. We all have tough moments, ma’am, but there’s no need for you to get an attitude.”

The guy next to Stern Lady spoke up. Clearly, he did have a back bone after all.

“Thank you, young lady. I apologize to you and everyone in this restaurant on my behalf. My name is Kenny Konicki and that lady who was completely rude is my wife, Amanda Richter-Konicki.”

Amanda? That was her name. Alia felt bad for the parents who raised Amanda to be such a spoiled brat.

“And I apologize that you think that our attitudes are so unpleasant.”

Alia held her hand up to stop Amanda from talking before the situation got worse.

“Excuse me? First of all, it was you who was rude the moment you both walked through this restaurant, a place, if you have forgotten, has to right to refuse customer service for entitled people like you.”

Amanda got offended and clutched her pearls. Alia continued to stare at her. Despite how this lady was dressed, her attitude was nasty to the core.

“Well, when you get married for seventeen years, you tell me how peachy-keen life is and then don’t come crying to me. Let’s go, Kenny!”

Alia rolled her eyes. She thought Natalia from Sicily, Italy was a real piece of work, but apparently, she and Amanda would be the perfect tag team for each other.

But Kenny didn’t leave. He folded his arms and frowned at his wife.

“Kenny, come on!” Amanda gestured for him to come over like a scolded middle-school boy who got caught skipping a French exam for school.

“No, Amanda. You’re nothing but an entitled, cold-hearted woman who loves to hear herself nag because you don’t appreciate the people around you who love you.”

The whole restaurant was quiet now. Alia was surprised too, but inside, she was smiling, for this was the sign she needed to follow her dreams and avoid negative people.

“I’m going to eat at this fine establishment, file for divorce, and then find someone else who truly appreciates me. Maybe someday, you’ll realize that learning your lessons the hard way is the only way for you to appreciate those around you.”

Amanda was in tears. No one came over to give her a hug. She angrily stomped out of the restaurant.

Alia chimed in. “Besides, there’s nothing mediocre about the Boston Red Sox team, so suck on that!”

Amanda turned back and yelled, “Screw all of you!” But no one was taken aback. Kenny and Alia knew that a bitter woman liked Amanda would never be near their presence again.

Later, Kenny came over to talk to Alia. “Thank you for sticking up for me.”

Alia beamed with pride. “Hey, it’s no problem. I’m used to sticking up for the little guy.”

Kenny felt at peace. “So what are you doing at this neck of the woods?”

For some reason, Alia felt comfortable telling Kenny her vulnerable truth. “I want to be an actress, but I feel like it’s an unrealistic dream because I don’t have any experience in Hollywood. I never even went to a performing arts school.”

Kenny arched his eyebrows and half-smiled at her. “So what? If you have enough courage to stand up to my now ex-wife, you have the courage to handle anything.”

Alia smiled at that thought. “You’re right. As odd as it sounds, seeing your ex-wife treat you horribly reminded me why I should never compromise my dreams for anyone, especially women who clearly had never learned to relax.”

The two new friends laughed together, talking about their fated trips to Boston, the joys of following dreams, and knowing that the best signs occurred when you at least expected them. 

July 22, 2021 15:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.