What the Future Holds

Submitted into Contest #51 in response to: Write about someone who has a superpower.... view prompt

2 comments

Fantasy

Jeremy peered through the backyard window at his usual perch in the hedge. Inside was a well-organized bedroom, with chess and martial arts trophies lined up, soft cream walls, checkered bed sheets, and a stuffed chess piece. Jeremy waited for this special time of the day, the moment he thought about all day long. It's 9:45 pm she's going to get changed and surf online till twelve-ish, Jeremy predicted to himself. Sure enough there she was as predicted.


Her name was Sarah, she goes to Jeremy's school. She had soft features, curly brown hair, bright blue eyes, and a svelte build. Everything about Sarah was hard to look away from. She took off her plaid shirt first, then her black leggings. Revealing a lavender lace bra, and white simple low-waisted panties. "I love lavender on her skin", Jeremy commented to himself. Sarah looked through her drawer for some nightwear. She chose a pink nightshirt with owls on it then put it on. Then Sarah slides her arms in the shirt to unhook her bra and removes it. It was an odd habit that Jeremy liked.       


The fact that Jeremy never saw Sarah fully nude, made him feel less guilty. He found out that Sarah lived close to him he couldn't resist. At first, it felt wrong, but he rationed with himself. He thought I'm not planning on hurting her. What she doesn't know can't hurt her. it'll be my little secret. Jeremy rarely spoke to Sarah at school. When they do talk it's mostly about homework questions or it’s just small talk. Jeremy would always fumble his words or say the wrong thing. His friends would poke fun at him afterward. They don’t know what he does at night.



As Jeremy looked through Sarah's window she looked panicked. She looked at her bedroom door, closed her laptop, turned off the light, then ran into her closet. Jeremy tried to see what was going on, he pulled out his phone to call 9-1-1. The lights were turned back on by a man in grey sweats and a matching hoodie. He scooped Sarah's phone and laptop into his bag, then started digging in her drawers. Clothes flew out as the man scavenged around. Jeremy was already speaking with the 9-1-1 operator. He informed the police of what was going on. The operator assured, "Police will be at the house in ten minutes." Jeremy looked at the time it was 10:12pm, then his eyes glued to the closet.


The thief took what he wanted and left the room. Jeremy was at ease now that he was gone. Then he thought, how was he going to explain to the cops how he saw the break-in? What will happen if Sarah finds out? What should I do? Sarah crawled out of her closet rattled. Sarah whipped her head to the door again and scrambled to her hiding place. But the door opened before she could lie low. Jeremy looked on helplessly as he clutched a branch. 


The man was back, he grabbed Sarah, and threw her on the bed. He pulled her hair, pushed her down, like a rottweiler with its toy. Her silent cries and her kicks didn't seem to phase the man as he struck her. Jeremy's heart raced, his teeth grated each other. His body jolted towards the window with a stone in his hand. As he ran his arm flung the stone at the window. It shattered, and the man fled out the door. Sarah ran out and jumped through the window.


"Jeremy?" Sarah said shakily. "I called the cops. Are you okay?" Assured Jeremy as he got closer to her. "I am fine, why are you in my backyard? How did you know someone broke in? He broke into the side of the house and my neighbors did not even notice. Were you spying on me?" Sarah's shock turned to suspicion way quicker than Jeremy could respond. Jeremy shook his head, "No!" He tried to think of a reason on the spot, "I knew this was going to happen. I knew you were going to be attacked! I tried to tell you after school but I couldn't find you. I called the cops at 10:12 and they said they would be here in ten minutes. But I know they will be five minutes late. So I picked up a stone and threw it. If you don't believe me, I predict the police will be here at 10:27pm." There was a long pause after Jeremy's story.


Sarah was still quivering but her face was focused on Jeremy. Her arms folded and she spoke, "Not a minute early, not a minute late." She turned towards the gate leading to the front of the house. She gestured for Jeremy to go first. He opened the gate slowly and checked for the man. The coast was clear. They both went to the front and heard sirens around the corner. Sarah ran to the front and Jeremy sped to catch up. While he was catching up he changed the time to 10:27pm on his phone. Then he showed her his phone. Her eyes widened and she said, “Kippers tomorrow after school.” Jeremy nodded as the police pulled in. They questioned Sarah and Jeremy and investigated. When everything was done Jeremy went home to plan his date at Kippers. 


Morning came and everyone was talking about the break-in at Sarah’s house. No one seemed to bother Jeremy so Sarah likely didn’t mention him. I can’t believe she bought it! Maybe it was the shock. Anyways, she’s safe now and I have a date! If I wasn’t there who knows what could’ve been. I’m a hero. I’m her hero. Thought Jeremy. He had a plan to seal his precognitive lie, that he required his friends' assistance. The first two classes passed and it was time for lunch. His friends always gathered at the same place, the second table to the right in the geography room. There was Lucas, Michael, and Patrick sitting at their spot.


Jeremy greeted them and started the conversation, “So I got a date with Sarah last night,” Michael started to sniff loudly, “I smell bullshit.” Everyone chuckled except Jeremy. “Look guys I need your help. She thinks I can see the future.” The boys just looked at each other, Patrick sighed. “Dude, you are stalking her, now you are trying to convince her that you have superpowers. Do you think it’s the right time to even go out with her? Her house was broken into. You need help dude.” “I know her house was broken into. I was there.” Jeremy stated. The whole group now looked concerned, Lucas nervously asked, “Did you break in her home?” “No!” Jeremy defended himself, he explained everything that happened last night at Sarah’s, minus seeing Sarah getting changed. 


Patrick just shook his head, his face was unimpressed. “This is too far Jeremy. How long will this last? Sarah was most likely scared out of her mind and you took advantage of it. Whatever you need help with, forget it. I tried to play it off, but you kept getting creeper.” Lucas injected, “I’m not sayin’ you should stalk people, but you did call the cops even though you could’ve gotten caught. You should meet up with her. Teller’ the truth.” Jeremy agreed, but then he said, “Guys this is a one-time thing. I bet we’ll laugh about it later. But I think I should keep the future telling going for a bit. If I can’t tell the future, she’ll be pissed, I’ll be arrested, and that’ll be the end for me. So I have a plan, who’s with me.” Jeremy raised his hand, Michael shrugged and raised his. That left Lucas and Patrick out, Patrick glared at Jeremy and left. Lucas got up to follow Patrick then gave the final word, “If you liked her. You wouldn’ be like dis.” That left Jeremy deflated from where he was in the morning. 


“Why are you helping me?” Jeremy asked Michael. Michael just shrugged again and answered, “If she’s dumb enough to believe that shit, I think it’s worth the shot. So what’s your master plan Dr. Evil.” “Look this is only temporary I…” Jeremy was interrupted with Michael's hand, “Plan?’ Shoving Michael away Jeremy began to describe the plan. “You have to do what I tell you to. You’ll need your phone to tell the time. Sarah and I are going to be at Kippers at around 3:30-ish, so be there earlier. Don’t let us see you, and wear this.” Jeremy gave Michael a blonde wig and sunglasses then continued. “Since it’s just you, it makes the plan easier, You need to head to the washroom at 3:45 no matter if we’re there or not. Then wait till 4:05 and leave the washroom, stop, check your pockets and go back in. Come back out with your phone in your hand. Make sure the phone can’t be seen when you first come out, also don’t look at us. Can you do that?” Michael gave a mischievous smirk and put out his hand. “I owe you for bailing me out of detention and for those biology test answers. Let’s fucking do this.” Jeremy shook Michael’s hand.


After school, Sarah was waiting for Jeremy and they both walked to Kippers. Kippers is your typical coffee shop, with simplistic decor, a warm colour scheme, and little tables with weaved stools. They made it there at 3:40, sure enough, Michael was there with the wig and sunglasses. Jeremy noticed him but Sarah didn’t seem to. The two both sat down after waiting for their drinks. “I just wanted to thank you for last night, I did not get the chance before.” Sarah started the conversation. “Yeah, it’s no problem you were just attacked then, I wasn’t expecting to be thanked,” Jeremy said kindly. “Are you okay by the way?” Sarah only calmly asked, “So is it true that you can see into the future?” Jeremy thought it was weird that she didn’t seem that surprised by it. It was also odd that Sarah avoided the question. He replied, “Yes, it’s true. Do you need more proof? I bet it would be hard to believe.” Sarah then leans in and scans him up and down. “You are right, I do need proof. Show me.” She said. Jeremy felt like a lab rat rather than a date, He was dumbfounded by how analytical Sarah was outside of school. 


“So check the time on your phone. What time is it?” Sarah did what Jeremy said and showed him the time. It was 3:57pm. Jeremy then closed his eyes and started predicting, “A blonde guy is going to come out of the washroom at 4:05, and he’ll forget his phone.” Sarah studied the men's washroom door intensively. She really believes me. Jeremy thought to himself as his conscience started to eat away at him. Maybe I should just tell her the truth. No, I’m too far into this, if I tell her now she’ll kill me.



“When did you realize you had the ability of precognitive thought?” Sarah questioned without looking away from the washroom door. “I realized it when I started high school, so it'll be a year now. Why did you pick Kippers to be our first date?” Jeremy flirtingly asked. Jeremy’s question made Sarah quickly glare at him for a second. Keeping her professional tone she replied, “What made you think this is a date? So when you call the police for someone, they have you date you afterward?” Now Jeremy’s guilt was hitting harder, he couldn’t answer her, all he could do was apologize. “I’m sorry, I guess I made things awkward didn’t I.” Then Michael came out of the washroom. Sarah looked at her phone and it was 4:05, she kept watching. Michael checked his pockets, acted shocked, then went back in. His acting was a little exaggerated but it seemed to fool Sarah since she was wide-eyed. “Follow me.” Sarah abruptly got up and left the shop with her drink, Jeremy rushed to catch up.


Sarah walked behind Kippers and Jeremy followed till she stopped. They were surrounded by trash bins and out of sight. She delicately placed her drink down on a napkin she had in her pocket. All Jeremy saw after that was Sarah’s fist flying at his face. It landed and the wave of pain covered Jeremy's face knocking him back. His face and buttock were now throbbing, he groaned. “What the…” Jeremy didn’t get to finish. “What was that for? That was for stalking me and lying to me. Now you are going to say, I didn’t mean to scare you, I just really like you. I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have done that. It was only one time I swear. I didn’t know what I was thinking. Please don’t call the cops. Did Patrick tell you what was going on?” Sarah predicted as her blood boiled. Jeremy went pale, she said everything he was thinking down to the T, he asked. “How did you know?” 


“Unlike you ungifted, lying, creep, I actually have powers. I can read minds. That is why I believed you at first. I thought maybe there are people like me with powers. I did not think to read anyone's mind when I was home alone that night. I heard the robber when he broke in, but I could read his mind the second time he came in. I did not read your thoughts till you started your little skit with your friend Michael. I saw myself in my underwear in your pig head. Then I read Michael's mind when he came out. He thought I was a stupid bitch and he was right to think so.” Sarah paused and peered down at Jeremy in disgust. She continued, “You are now thinking that you are a pervert that’s full of shit. Right?” Jeremy was just stunned, he just stared down and nodded. “First you will never talk to me again, second you need to get your morals right, and third, you should get better friends. I am not going to call the police, what happened here is not going to be discussed.” Sarah picked up her drink and walked past Jeremy as he got up. “So that’s why she’s good at chess.” Jeremy gingerly realized under his breath. 


After recovering for the hit and the fact Sarah has powers, Jeremy went back and noticed Michael waiting. “She looked fucking pissed. Did she find out or did you tell her? I thought you were getting some back there. Man, she fucked up your face!” Michael said. Jeremy didn’t say anything and just kept walking home. 


July 22, 2020 08:12

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Jonathan Blaauw
08:15 Jul 30, 2020

This is very cool. An interesting take on the whole superpower thing, and the reversal, ironic ending is great! I see you have stayed away from contractions in your dialogue quite a bit (I am vs. I'm) which gives the speech a formal tone at odds with the theme of teenagers with superpowers (or pretending to have them). It's not wrong and might even have been intentional. It does give Sarah a voice of lofty superiority, which goes with her character, so not a bad move by any means. I'm always curious about these small details in stories. Ov...

Reply

Emily B.
15:36 Jul 30, 2020

Thanks. I wanted Sarah to have that tone. It's good that you could pick up on that.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.