17 comments

Fiction

This story is inspired by Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Magnus Chase and the gods of Asgard, and my siblings.

After my parentsโ€™ house was out of sight, I felt a strange homesickness come over me. I didnโ€™t know when or if they would ever see me again. I fell to my knees and put my head in my hands. Iโ€™ll admit it, I sobbed right there on the street for a long time.

When I peeked out from behind my hands, I saw a strange Greek-looking temple and decided that it would be enough for the night. I struggled to my feet under the weight of the bags, and walked towards the shelter. As I got closer, I saw that it was covered in vines and exotic flowers. I felt drawn to it, like it was something from my childhood.

As I entered it, the scents from all the greenery hit me, and it took me a second to process all of it. The inside was like a greenhouse had exploded inside of it and kept growing. Every bloom and inch of green looked alive and comforting. It felt as if I were home, and I never had to leave.

โ€œYou know, I donโ€™t have to go to that camp if I stay here awhile. This is amazing!โ€ I exclaimed to myself. I never wanted to leave this place.

I gently placed my bags in a more open corner that didnโ€™t have as many vines and flowers, and lay down. The special combination of the flowers emitted a smell so beautiful and thick, I could almost see it. Inside the building, I couldnโ€™t smell the rain outside anymore, and the scent of the flowers nearly put me to sleep. They all seemed to gravitate towards me, like I planted them or something.

As I drifted off to sleep, a comforting and warm breeze enveloped me, keeping me warm. I felt entirely at peace, where nothing could torment me.

๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ

It took me a few minutes to remember where I was. In a random Greek temple covered in flowers and vines. I had always had a green thumb, as my stepmom would say. Remembering my past family hurt, and the corners of my vision blurred. I blinked the tears away because I needed to stay somewhere else. The need to leave felt urgent, and I couldnโ€™t explain it now, even if I tried.

I threw the blanket back in my bag, hoisted it over my shoulder, and turned to leave. I was stopped short by a tall, beautiful woman in gardenerโ€™s clothes. Her pockets were filled with seed packets, and she had gardening tools hanging from her belt. Her face was tall, and she had brown hair and green eyes that looked the same as mine. She looked like she had planted this whole temple, and in the sun, too. The tan on her skin was perfect, with not a speck of dirt on her fingernails.

Only when I realized my starting at her did she finally speak. The tone she used blanketed me like a ray of sun breaking through the treetops.

โ€œHello there, little one! Itโ€™s been a long time since Iโ€™ve seen you. Youโ€™ve gotten so big!โ€ She crouched down, somehow keeping her perfect posture. โ€œIโ€™m glad I can finally meet you in person. Letโ€™s sit down and have some tea, so we can talk.โ€

She turned my shoulders around so I was facing the perfect picnic setting. A green and white picnic blanket was spread, and there was a basket of bread and cheese. A carton of fresh, cold milk was sitting next to a small ham. Weaved grass cushions were positioned on either side, and a plate and silverware were fanned out in front.

The lady guided me to one of the cushions and took off my bag, in a motherly sort of way. She sat on the other side of the blanket, and she faced me. I wanted to yell, "Who are you and why did you barge into my life?", but I was speechless.

โ€œMy name is Demeter, and you can use any nickname you want. I wanted to let you know that I am here for you, sweetie pie, and I want to help guide you. You are special, and I know you have heard it many times before, but I need you to believe me.โ€ I didnโ€™t know why everyone kept bringing up the fact that I was special because I certainly didnโ€™t think so. Before I could say anything, though, she spoke again. โ€œBefore you object, please hear me out. You will be safer at Camp Sparta than anywhere else, and you should go there. You will meet a few people, and even get some exciting adventure in there, and have fun. Before I leave, One last thing.โ€ She took a breath, and when she said her final part, she started to vanish. โ€œI am your godly parent, and that is why you are special.โ€

Her voice faded during her sentence, and so did the whole picnic and cushions. I scrambled up to my feet as the floor came towards me faster than I realized. Many different questions were floating around in my head, and they were going too fast for me to ask them. I wanted to scream at her, but nothing came out if my throat but a small whimper.

By the time my confusion cleared, She was gone, and everything was back to the greenhouse look. As I walked out, for the first time, I realized that I wasnโ€™t like the other people around.

I had a purpose now, and that purpose awaited me on Artillery Lane. I knew to trust my instincts, as they got me out of sticky situations. This time, my gut said to go to Camp Sparta, even if I didn't trust Demeter.

Sure, I was nervous, and there were too many questions and what-ifs, but I could still see the path, no matter how many obstacles were in my way. The rain had even cleared from the skies.

I confidently walked down the street and looked ahead with my head high. I turned to the building, and what I saw there was not what I remembered from driving by.

The so called โ€œcampโ€ was a humongous ยต-shaped building. It had mismatched dorms surrounding it. There were scattered armories in a small section, and a lake with some orange-looking walls near it. There was a perfectly planted field, where high schoolers were running around. Everyone was occupied, and they all looked happy.

I heard the faint sound of a school bell, and a sea of children, teens, and adults came pouring out. One of the adults was in a wheelchair with a blanket on, which was weird because it was warm out. He looked over at me, looking unsurprised that I was there. He came over and stuck his hand out. I took it, and he pulled me inside the property gate.

โ€œHi, Iโ€™m Miron, and welcome, young one, to Camp Sparta! This lad here will direct you to your dorm. He has the same schedule as you, and donโ€™t worry about it. We were told of your arrival early.โ€

The boy looked about 15, and he smiled. โ€œWelcome to Camp. My name is Maximรณn Fachnan, but you can call me Max, because who the Hades names their kid Maximรณn?โ€ He chuckled.

I had the perfect comeback. โ€œYour parents, obviously.โ€ I grinned as he rolled his eyes at me. This was going to be fun.

-Felicia Quackenbush

February 04, 2021 19:18

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

17 comments

Creed .
15:11 Feb 16, 2021

๐ŸŒ๐ŸŒ๐ŸŒ๐ŸŒ๐ŸŒ๐ŸŒ๐ŸŒ!!! Please! You are my Marvel Mateโ„ข๏ธ Nobody can steal that, I made it up! (I think.)

Reply

AntMan ๐Ÿœ
15:31 Feb 16, 2021

I will definitely go look at your stories! Thanks for reading my bio! โค๐Ÿ˜Š

Reply

Creed .
15:32 Feb 16, 2021

Thank you so much!

Reply

AntMan ๐Ÿœ
16:02 Feb 16, 2021

Anytime! I love reading stories, and I can't wait for more of your book(s)!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

WOw! I loved the names u chose!!! And the ending was spot-on! And funny:) Keep it going!

Reply

AntMan ๐Ÿœ
14:39 Mar 23, 2021

Thank uuuuu! ๐Ÿค“๐Ÿค“๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
AntMan ๐Ÿœ
13:31 Feb 05, 2021

If you all are wondering, Artillery Lane is an actual street in London, Britain: Look it up!๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜‰

Reply

Show 0 replies

Ah Katelyn! I love it! Especially since I really like the PJO books, so I am getting a kick out of these! I love this plot. It is similar to what you would expect for a demigod, but not at the same time. And I really liked the beginning of what is (hopefully) to be a fun conversation between Max and Felicia. I really want to know what happens to them. Let me know when you write another story!

Reply

AntMan ๐Ÿœ
13:19 Feb 05, 2021

Thank you! I cannot wait for my next story, not to mention yours!๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿค“๐Ÿ“š๐Ÿ“”๐Ÿ“•๐Ÿ“—๐Ÿ“–๐Ÿ“™๐Ÿ“’๐Ÿ“˜๐Ÿ“–

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
AntMan ๐Ÿœ
19:21 Feb 04, 2021

Hi everyone! Thanks for reading my SECOND story this week! This is chapter 2, and I hope you enjoyed this! Chapter 3 should be coming out soon, so be prepared!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.