0 comments

Fantasy

“Welcome everyone to PryMage Academy. I’m Professor Ardon. You may call me that or Mage Ardon.” The robust man’s voice carried through the crowd. His dark blue eyes narrowed like he already regretted selecting these people. “Those of you who are fortunate enough to be here, had been tested, and found adequate to be students in our prestigious academy.” At the victorious smiles, the professor’s eyes glinted dangerously. “But do not be mistaken. Before the day is over, I’m sure we can lower those numbers significantly.”

A nervous hush fell over the crowd. Dana glanced around anxiously. She had worked so hard to be here. Being born with little magic, all she could do was to lean on her knowledge, which, according to the teachers in the orphanage, was more extensive than any of the children at her age.

“You are here to be mages. The best of the best to serve our country. All kinds of jobs and opportunities await you if you succeed. But with power comes responsibility. If you fail at any of the tests, you’re out. If you don’t live up to the rising expectations, you’re out.” a dangerous smile curled under his beard. “At the end of your years here, you might wish you had chosen a different path.”

Dana gulped at the implied threat. For the past three years, she studied hard to reach this goal. And now, this goal seemed even more frightening than ever before. She rubbed sweaty hands into her blue cotton pants. Risking a glance at the others, she saw their uncertainty as well. Some looked like they were already rethinking their plans. Others looked morose, while there were the ever-confident ones, standing proudly, their chin in the air. Like the world couldn’t have stopped them.

“Choose a partner. As a second entrance exam, you’ll have to go through an obstacle course. You’ll be tested on magical knowledge, magic use, and your magic levels. Work together. That’s the essence of a good partnership and could one day save your lives.” He carried his gaze over the students’ anxious faces. Dana’s heart stopped for a second as it paused on her. “You might not know who your best ally is. During these two years, you’ll find out without a doubt.” He turned back to the crowd. “Line up here, when you have your partner.”

Dana looked around frantically. Like a beehive with its busy workers, the others were already grouping up. Fewer and fewer people stood by themselves. She spotted a lone figure standing at the edge of the crowd. Hurrying over, she was about to call out to her, when the girl waved her hands over her head and hurried away. She tried again and again, but everyone seemed like the opposite end of a magnet. As soon as she approached anyone, they found their match.

“Oh, crap.” shoulders hunched she looked around the empty hall. She was left alone. Again. She needed a moment to shake off the feeling of rejection. “Come on, they don’t know you. It’s not rejection. You’ve come so far. You can do it.”

Her little pep talk finally settled her emotions. Drawing her shoulders back and lifting her chin high she stepped up to the chattering students. Her confident posture was more of an image than anything else, in her chest her heartbeat like a racehorse.

“I’m sorry, Professor, I don’t have a partner. But I would still go through the course.” Professor Ardon looked her up and down. An emotion flashed in his eyes, something foreign on the strict, unforgiving features. Almost like compassion.

“I would not recommend the course alone. There will be life-threatening situations, and ones where you have to depend on your partner.”

“Still, Professor, I would try it.”

Dana felt her heart shrivel in her chest. She already knew his answer as soon as he opened his mouth, his head shaking from side to side.

“I’m sorry, Professor, I was late.” A girl stopped just in front of the mage. His eyes narrowed at the latecomer.

“Just for your information, Miss…”

“Miss Harlow.” she supplied cooly.

“Miss Harlow. We don’t tolerate late comers…”

It was clear a whole new speech was on his tongue when another professor interrupted him.

“Oh, Ardon. Miss Harlow was delayed by the director. So please, take it easy on her.”

A nerve started to jump at the professor’s jaw. Closing his eyes, he took a deep, calming breath. When he collected himself enough, he turned to the new student.

“All right, Miss Harlow can continue her enrollment test. As there are no others to pair up with, you have to choose…” he gestured toward Dana, before the woman again spoke over him.

“Oh, no, no, Ardon. Miss Harlow doesn’t have to take the test.” she leaned into his body, whispering feverishly. “You know her parents. We just discussed with the director…”

“I don’t care about prestige. If we operated only on family prestige, this whole world would have fallen into pieces by now. She is a student. If she wants to study here, she will take the test or fail immediately.”

From her rigid posture, this wasn’t the answer the woman wanted to hear. Placing her hands on her hips, she glared up at her colleague.

“I’m ready to take the test, professors. Also, I don’t want any special treatment.”

Ardon’s small smile of victory showed his pleasure as he nodded toward everyone.

“The two of you, pair up. We have wasted enough time.”

When the girl simply followed the instruction, Dana’s smile burst forth. She had to control herself, not to skip ahead.

“Okay, listen up. When you go in there, you are on your own. Team up, help your partner and get through together. You have to learn to work together, or you’re dead. If anyone wants to give up, or they can’t continue, here is a teleportation stone.” the small bright blue stones shone like diamonds on the side table. “Just crush it, and you’ll be teleported into the waiting room at the end of the course. Good luck.”

Pair by pair the students disappeared behind the huge door, until only Dana and the mysterious new student remained, waiting for their sign. Dana kept glancing at her. She didn’t seem that much interested in making friends. Nevertheless, Dana carefully wiped her hands on her trousers and held out her hand.

“Hi, my name is Dana.”

“Rowena.”

Her cool words didn’t faze Dana. She was just too happy to be able to participate in the test. Even though she would have done it alone if she had to, she knew too well how that would have ended: with failure.

The sign flashed before the door. They entered a long tunnel. The light of the torches’ fire danced on the cold stone walls, giving an eery feel to the underworldly atmosphere.

“Let’s go.”

With determined steps, Dana marched forward. On the fifth step, a feeling of doom flooded her veins. Perspiration broke out all over her ivory skin. Suddenly a huge force slammed into her back. She landed in an ungraceful heap meters from her previous spot. Quickly jumping up, she dusted her clothes, trying to hide her bright red face.

“Sorry. I wasn’t looking.”

“Yes, I saw that.” Rowena’s soft voice came from just behind her. Dana spun on her heels, her hand on her rapidly moving chest. But her partner wasn’t looking at her. As she took a step closer to the wall Rowena was examining, her breath caught in her throat. “Is that an arrow?”

Rowena eyed the weapon, before placing her palm close to it. She closed her eyes, frowning in concentration. The arrow slowly dissolved in a spark of blue light.

“An incantation. This whole place might be full of them. One wrong move and we’re toast.” her intense gaze drilled into Dana’s. “Watch where you’re going.”

“Okay. Thanks.” she said in awe. She just realized that she hadn’t fallen down in her clumsiness. Rowena had pushed her out of the way with magic. “Let’s go.” This time she looked around suspiciously, before taking the first step.

They went on and on. The corridor didn’t want to end. It looked just the same everywhere.

“Okay, I bet this corridor is endless because there’s no end in sight.” Dana huffed out after half an hour of walk.

Rowena was deep in thought, so Dana closed her eyes and tried to feel for the exit. No luck. Even though her magic wasn’t strong, she should have been able to at least sense her environment without a problem.

“Maybe you’re right.”

“You spoke!” This was even more shocking than walking in an endless corridor for hours. Then what she had said registered. “Wait, what? I’m right?”

Rowena just rolled her eyes then lifted one elegant eyebrow.

“Yes. You might be right. I think this is an illusion.”

“Oooookay. If this is an illusion, we should be able to break it.” Dana tapped her chin. “A strong surge of power should do the trick. Maybe it’s a mirror illusion. Everything seems the same, even the torchlight on the wall.”

“Okay, let’s test it. Give it your best try.”

Dana’s face turned crimson. Clearing her throat, she looked at her partner from below her eyelashes.

“Can you try?” at her questioning look, she continued. “I’m not sure I can give such a strong surge.”

Rowena stared at her, eyes huge, even her mouth fell open. It would have been comic, if not for Dana’s shame of weakness. Finally, the girl shook herself out of the shock. The huge ball of fire that appeared effortlessly in her hands fascinated Dana.

“Where?”

Dana felt carefully for the weakest point in the magic but still didn’t feel anything. It was too well crafted. Thinking logically, she pointed at a crack on the wall.

“There.”

With absolute precision, the ball hit the exact mark. The wall started to vibrate, then ripple, before dissolving before their eyes. Their shouts of success were interrupted by an ear-shattering roar.

A vorak, at least two and a half meter height, stood before them. Its huge furry body, long claws, and enormous fangs were ready for a fight.

“Quick, bring back the illusion. I’d rather be in the corridor.” Dana whispered hurriedly.

The great beast ran toward them at full speed. The girls scattered. Rowena summoned another fireball and threw it at him. The creature roared in fury, spun on his heels, and charged. He was too quick for the noble girl to try another attack.

A frightened scream ripped from her lungs. As the predator was about to strike, strong tendrils and roots broke through the ceiling and floor, trapping the beast in his momentum.

“Here, Rowena!” Dana waved. She was sweaty from the exertion, using more magic than she had ever needed to. She knew they wouldn’t be able to keep up with the vorak, if he freed himself. Unless they used their wits.

“Can you help to cave the ceiling in?” her hands were already shaking. The beast tore one of the roots.

“Are you crazy? We’ll both die.”

“I had the roots reinforce the ceiling.” she said through clenched teeth. “Just go farther.”

“Than you’ll die.”

“I can’t go, I’m barely holding him now. If he gets free, we both die. Go!”

The beast tore another tendril from the ceiling. A huge block of rock shattered on the floor. Rowena tapped into her power and felt for the ceiling. She saw Dana waver on her feet and knew they had to do it now.

“Ready. Three, two, one, now!” with a huge surge of power the stone shattered into million pieces, raining down on the room. With a final burst, she pushed out, praying her plan worked.

Dana opened her eyes, disoriented. Looking around, she felt confused at the huge pile of rock near her.

“You’re awake. I didn’t want to move you, in case you broke something.” the cool, collected voice was strange, coming from Rowena. She looked like a survivor of a catastrophe. Her black wavy hair was dull and grey from dust, her soft skin red, with some black and blue bruising already starting to show.

“What happened?”

“We killed the vorak.” finally an uncharacteristic, huge smile appeared on the girl’s face. Then it went back to total astonishment. “You were ready to sacrifice yourself for me.”

Dana just shrugged, though every part of her body hurt. The memories finally clicked into place.

“Someone had to hold the beast. And my magic is weak. I had to stay close if I wanted to uphold it.”

Rowena helped Dana to her feet. Together they turned toward the huge double doors.

“Come on, partner. Let’s see what’s on the other side.” said Rowena.

They stepped out into a huge hall, full of students. When the three mages saw them enter the room, Professor Ardon stepped on a platform drawing all eyes on him.

“Congratulation to all of you who completed the test. You have passed.” Before the cheers died down, he continued, unfazed by the celebratory atmosphere. “Those of you, who gave up, I’m sorry, but we have to part ways. Whatever your goal with magic is this Academy is not the place for you.”

Shoulders sagged with disappointment, only a few were, who didn’t mind the fail. Professor Ardon’s already blank face darkened, his gaze flashed from student to student, spotting people all over the hall.

“Also, we have people who also failed. There were some, who didn’t listen to the instructions. Rely on your partner, work together. In any dangerous work, your partner might be the one to save you from death. You have to protect them, so they can protect you. A reliable partner is the best thing that could happen to you.”

Some students started to fidget, looking from right to left in uncomfortable silence. Some had the decency to blush in shame.

“There are those, who failed today’s test by not working together or sacrificing their partner for their advancement. Listen well and learn it: no death is acceptable. If you’re willing to sacrifice an innocent, you’re no better than the Dark Circle of mages.”

A growl of discontent rolled across the hall at the strong words. Faces red with anger, or white with shock, several people marched out of the building, not even looking back.

“Those of you who passed the test, congratulation.” A tiny, rare smile lit up the professor’s harsh features. “Now you have to make a serious choice. Though every one of you has to complete the Academy as individuals, you’ve got to choose a partner. Choose well. That one person will be your partner for your whole time here at the Academy. You’ll share tasks, responsibility, and studies.”

Dana smiled at Rowena, ready to ask her to be her partner. At least five people crowded around them by then.

“Wow, Rowena! I’ve heard of your family. Mine is also famous for its magic, though we don’t come close to yours. I’m Julian Zenyn. If you want, we could pair up.” the first student said with a wiggle of his eyebrows.

“Oh, please, Rowena. Pick me! I’ve been first of my class, and my family is part of the council as well. Solena Ceaph. We would make an invincible team.”

This went on and on. Dana’s heart plummeted. She watched as more and more students lined up beside Rowena, promising the moon and stars if she just chose them. She had no idea Rowena was such a well-known person, all she could think about was the test and how well they had worked together. She had never felt so close to anyone in such a short time. Being an orphan taught her a lesson, to never trust people easily. But Rowena was different. Dana would have trusted her with her life. And she had already done that.

She turned from the painful scene, her hopes of having a true friend wiped away. She could not compete with all these students. She was a nobody, not even a strong mage. She could offer absolutely nothing.

“I’m sorry, but I already have a partner.” she heard Rowena say. “Dana! Where are you going? We have to register.”

Slowly she turned around, her heartbeat a frantic rhythm at the hope that surged through her body. Rowena was looking at her, her face blank, though Dana saw a little mischievous glint in her green eyes. Everyone stared at Dana like she had two heads. Then the first boy started to laugh.

“Oh, come on, Rowena. It was hilarious. You’re so funny.” Before his words registered in Dana, her new friend spun on her heels.

“Dana is my friend, Julian. I won’t have you or anyone else degrade her. Understood?” her strict voice attracted everyone’s attention in the hall. Ashamed, the boy turned around and hurried away to find shelter as far from them as physically possible. Rowena’s eyes flashed angrily at the others. “Any more objections?” After a silent nod from everyone, she turned back to Dana, easily dismissing the crowd around them. “Well? Do you want to be partners? I still don’t have one, you know.” a smile brightened her normally blank features.

Dana couldn’t help but press her hands to her mouth in sudden glee. She could barely stop herself from jumping up and down in her excitement.

“Yes. Yes, of course.”

“Then we’re partners. I trust you, Dana. With my life.” her words started something in Dana. Warmth flowed through her limbs until all of her body burned with it. She couldn’t erase her smile.

“Same here… partner.”

Together they went to the table to register. Deep down, both of them knew they had gained way more from this experience. Not just a trustworthy partner, but a true friend. 

August 28, 2020 23:34

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.