Tusks and Daggers Part Twenty-One

Written in response to: Write a story where someone decides to take the long way home.... view prompt

0 comments

Fantasy Adventure Speculative

“Darwin, do you want to take the long way back?” I queried kindly, his hands splashing around the healing spring. “That way I can teach you how to control your gift a bit better. How does that sound?” His pointed ears perked up, his wide grin melting my heart. Leaping out of the water, his wet body soaked my wool green dress. Embracing him warmly, an apologetic smile dimmed his face. Squirming out of my arms, he bowed his head in shame. Ruffling his hair, his golden eyes shimmered with tears. Lifting up his chin with my finger, my warm smile relieved a bit of his anxiety. At some point he will feel the freedom to be himself, both of us had to practice patience. Dark secrets burned underneath his kind eyes, the scars on his heart showing on his tiny face. Shifting through my basket, his eyes lit up with joy at the repaired clothes.  It had taken all night, but it was worth his smile now. Kissing the top of his head, he snuggled into my chest. Such innocence shouldn't be soiled by darkness.

‘Thank you so much, mommy.” He shouted excitedly, snatching them from me. “I am going to get dressed.” Going behind a tree, he spun out in a couple of seconds after. Dancing around, he looked really happy for the first time in his life. Tying my scythe to my back, my fingers wrapped around the basket. Offering him my free hand, he ran up to me. Choosing to take the long way back was more a therapeutic decision for us both, the long walk a decent way to clear our minds. 

“Why don’t you teach him how to hunt?” Dackworth suggested calmly, his one eye rolling. “He should learn.” His tiny fingers wrapped around mine, the two of us stepping forward. Birds sang in the trees, wild animals scurrying past my feet. The wonder never left his eyes, Dackworth rolling his one eye once more. This was going to be a long journey back, an empty circle coming into view.  Dragging him into the center of the circle, he watched with curiosity as I pulled out four crystals. Each color represented the four natural elements, the white one being air while the periwinkle was water. A dusty tan represented the Earth while scarlet represented fire, his golden eyes watching both. Untying my scythe from my back, Dackworth gazed upon him with intensity. 

“Your death connection is an extension of one of these elements. What I need you to do is hover your hand over each one.” I instructed promisingly, cupping his trembling hand. “Dackworth here will act like a charger, so let’s thank him after. We wouldn't let his ego get any bigger, right? A growl rumbled from him, a fit of laughter bursting from Darwin’s and my lips. Guiding his hand over each one, the air one didn’t respond. Biting his lips, shame began to dim his eyes. Moving his hand over water, nothing happened. Ruffling his hair, his bright smile dissolved a bit of my anxiety. A small gasp escaped his lips, the Earth crystal floating into the air. Childlike wonder brightened my eyes, the fire one floated into his palms. Laughing softly to myself, his bemused grin made my day. 

“I have two elements. This is so amazing.” He exclaimed proudly, his chest swelling. “Is this common?” Cupping his hands around the crystals, an idea came to mind. Perhaps he could conjure up a field of flowers, the desire to see his true limits taunting me. Finding the right words to help him out, nothing seemed to come to mind. Taking a deep breath, he was such a sweet child.

“Think of a field of your favorite flowers.” I prompted sincerely, his hands dropping the crystals. “I know you can do it. Let’s do it together. “ Nodding his head silently, my hand cupped his hands as I held them down. Closing his eyes, a warm breeze flew our hair up behind our head. A tiny gasp poured from my lips, tears streaming down my cheeks. A sea of blue lilies bloomed from the ground, tears flooding from his excited eyes. Picking one, he bowed as he pressed a flower into my palms. 

“These are my mother’s favorite flowers. She would take me back home to her destroyed villages. Oh forgive me, these are moonlight lilies. They can heal any illness, or wound if they are made into a tea. Shall we gather them all up?” He explained gently, fighting the tears in his voice. “They bloom where tragedy happens. My mother always called them a gift from our ancestors. A chance to heal the world from its raw tragedy.”  Wiping the tears from his eyes, his arms wrapped around my waist. This kid needed a mother, and I was going to be his Mina. Wishing these tender moments would last forever, my arms wrapped around his shoulders. Hopping out of my arm, he began to pick the flowers one by one. Putting my finger up, Dackworth’s eye quivered with bubbling excitement. Swinging it down towards the flowers, they all floated in the air. Dancing into the basket, his crooked grin melted my heart. Lights floated in front of us, tiny fairies beckoning us further into the woods. Unable to see them, something was off in their energy. Fear plagued their cheery light, the balls floating around the flowers. Darwin perked up, his tiny hand rubbing the back of his neck. 

“She is saying that her king has an illness, and that she would like us to make him some tea.” He told me calmly, taking my hand. “Let’s go help them. She also says that there are entire races of creatures dying as we speak. Shall we help them, Mother?” My jaw dropped to the ground, his ability stunning me. His earnest smile was all it took to convince me to help them out, the branches crunching underneath our feet. The twisted black trees grew thicker, the two of us coming to a decayed wooden witch’s hut. Cobwebs filled the cauldron, a spider crawling up my arm. Snapping my finger, a cloth appeared in my hand. Wiping out the cauldron, my attention turned back to Darwin. Running over with a stool in his hand, setting it down gingerly, climbing up on the stool. Holding my basket in his tiny hands.

“First we need about half of these flowers, and a couple of your herbs that you collected. Do you trust me?” He asked sternly, wincing at my raised hand. “Let’s get this tea going. Do you want to go get the water?” Lowering my hand, I flashed him my real smile. Dragging a giant through behind me, the river not too far away, the water flashed all over me as I filled it up. Carrying it over my head, Darwin was tossing stuff in. Pouring the water into the cauldron, grabbing a couple pieces of wood underneath the table holding up the cauldron. Motioning for him to come to me, his eager eyes boring a hole through me.  

“Do you want to see if you start the fire?” I questioned in a motherly tone, taking his finger. “Just picture the flame.” Narrowing his eyes, sweat beaded off of his brow. Pressing his lips into a thin line, a tiny flame danced on the tip of his fingers. Lowering his hand to the dry wood, it caught fire immediately. Embracing me tightly, a silent tear of pain streamed down my cheek as his flame burned my back. Releasing him from my hug, I waved his fingers to cull the flame.  

“I am sorry.” He mumbled darkly, raising his hands over his head.”I screwed up.” Shaking my head, my hands wrapped around his.  Rubbing the back of his hands, his wet eyes looked up at me. What the hell did they do to him? Rage seethed in my eyes, tears of fury flooding from my eyes. Clutching him close to my chest, my heart shattered. How could the world be so cruel! Shuddering in my arms, every single emotion soaked my shoulder. Placing him on my back, my fingers wrapped around the giant wooden spoon. Stirring the pot, he slumbered away. Sniffing the tea, he almost had it right. Dropping in a couple more of my herbs, the clear water changed to deep violet. A lilac dove flew out of the window, Darwin jerked awake. Jumping off of my back, he ran out the door. Yelling out for the sick to come, a flood of creatures marched towards the hut with their own bowls. Darwin passed me bowls, taking them back once they were filled. His real smile illuminated the world, his gentle soul making sure they were all okay. The last drop sat on my spoon, Darwin walking around to all of the creatures to see if they were alright. My heart fluttered when his tiny hand dragged me out to greet everyone that we just helped. Lavender painted the sky, twilight beginning her descent. One by one, they placed various magical gifts into my basket. Thanking them all, an idea flashed in my mind. 

“You did wonderful today, Darwin. Do you want to fly on a real life dragon?” I offered sweetly, cleaning up our mess. “I promise you it is the most fun you will ever have.” Before he could answer, my sharp whistle broke the quiet evening silence. Mina flew towards me, her eyes glittering with relief at the sight of me. An icy gust knocked Darwin into my arms, his grin growing wide. Sliding us onto her back, his hands rubbed her scales. The desire to learn more about Mina waited patiently on the tip of his tongue, his arms wrapping around her neck.

“Are we taking him to our secret hiding spot?” Mina questioned softly, his pointed ears fluttering as she took off.  Giving her wink, her wings flapped towards the island of the dragons. Grabbing Darwin by the hips, a cry of fright escaped his lips as I stood him up. Glancing lovingly back at me, a tender blush rose to my cheeks. Children should always smile like this, and not hide. Wondering if parents understood the emotional damage dealt by abuse, the scars permanently plastered to their hearts. Falling back, his giggle twinkled in my ears. Floating down to the island, his eyes grew bigger at the sight of all of the dragons. Rainbow scales shimmered in the white moonlight, the dragons all running over to me. King Scarlet rubbed his snout against my face, Darwin petting him. The instant connection between the two was obvious, their golden eyes glancing back at me.

“Your eyes match mine.” He chirped cheerfully, laughing at the smoke art pouring from his nostrils. “My dad told me that dragons exist.” Crouching down to his level, my hands cupped his cheeks. Gazing sternly into his eyes, his big eyes bore into mine. 

“I need you to keep this a secret between us. This is their secret home, and they would like to keep it that way. Can you promise me that?” I explained seriously, his smile falling. “We can visit when we have free time. How does that sound?” Cupping my face, his face grew stern as my previous tone. 

“I promise to keep your secret.” He promised firmly, kissing me on the forehead. “I understand. My mommy made me keep the place with the flowers a secret. So I can do it. My mother always said to keep my word. Can we stay here tonight?” Scarlet burned my cheeks, my face nearly the color of King Scarlet. How could such a broken soul be so pure?  

“Go play and have some fun. Just stay in my sight.” I whispered oddly, feeling my forehead. “I will cook us up a couple of fish for dinner. Don’t spoil your dinner.” Silent tears streamed down my cheeks, his little feet bounding away. Scarlet pat the top of my head, his claw wiping away my salty teardrops. 

“You really are a saint.” He growled thunderously, a couple of blue dragons running over a couple of fish. “He has the spirit of a dragon in him. You were drawn to him. Can I tell you about the dragon who turned into a human to protect us all?” Crossing my hands, a story was always nice to hear. Clearing my throat, my eyes never left Darwin. Gazing warmly up at Scarlet, the ending almost always the same.  

“You were that dragon, weren’t you?” I queried quietly, to make sure no else heard. “Why did you come back and what does he have to do with you?” Chuckling to himself, a twinkle sparkled in his eyes. Crossing his claws, rolling his golden eyes. Dread bubbled in my stomach, pulling my knees close to my chest. Nothing prepared me for what I heard next.  

“It was a long time ago when the land was in the First Peace, and an elf came into the island. She was badly injured, and I healed her. Not wanting her to be scared of me, I transformed into a human to heal her. Time passed, and my heart fell for her. We were going to get married, but she got killed in front of me by a group of hunters. She stood up for us all, her blood soaking the ground underneath me.  I raged and ate every single one of them.” He wept discreetly, my fingers wiping away his tears. “Right before she died, she combined her soul with my flames. Tossing it up into the sky, the last piece of her was gone. Yet she wasn’t, her soul walking among the living. From that day on, we chose to keep this place a secret. I don’t know if I will ever trust humans again. I believe he is the current carrier of her soul.” Both of us watched Darwin and Mina play together, my hands rubbing his snout. Sobbing into his neck, his claws wrapped around me. A fiery warmth bathed me, all of his emotions bubbling out. Everyone needed a good cry every once and a while. Even the strongest of us had to suffer in silence until the right person came along. Scooping up a couple of the fish, his flames cooking them in seconds. Setting them down gingerly in front of me, the ground quaked as he turned to leave.  

“Wait!” I called out sadly, holding my hands between sniffles. “I want to give you a future where you can find love again. I want everyone to get along. This isn’t fair. Dragons have done so much for us, and humans just want to hunt because they look a little scary. I am not scared of you. I find you all beautiful. I vow to protect all of you with my life. I promise to give you all a better future. Please trust me!” Darwin rushed up to my side, a determined grin spreading on his pale face. Taking my trembling hands, he held them both up. 

“I vow to protect you all as well!” He shouted proudly, his voice cracking. “No one deserves to be alone. This woman has shown me that life can be okay. I promise to keep this place a secret for all of you. Please trust me too.” Shivering with anxiety, flames of all colors shot into the sky. Scarlet bowed towards us, kissing the tops of our heads. Smiling tiredly to himself, silent tears flooded from his eyes. 

“Okay. We get it!” He proclaimed warmly, laying down in front of us. “You two are now honorary dragons. We will protect each other. Welcome to the family. Let’s celebrate for the newest family members.” Placing a rainbow stone necklace around his neck, his face lit up. Hearing all of the dragon’s voices for the first time, his smile only grew bigger. Hopping into my arms, this was how I wanted his life to be. Please Mina, help me with this.

November 10, 2022 22:17

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.