7 comments

American High School Mystery

Melissa. Melissa Rodgers. She wasn't really the type of girl you hear much about. She wasn't very popular. She wasn't the beauty queen of the school, or even the girl you give a second look too. To anyone, she was basic. The kind of girl you pass by in the halls without even a smile. Sure she was nice, but it wasn’t enough. She was quiet, but she shouldn't be so easily forgotten.

It was our junior year at East Porter High. I went to my classes as I usually did, only briefly listening to the rules. Nobody really cared about that stuff anyway. I had arrived at my fifth period and was listening to the roll being called. Listening to the names of the people I had known since the sixth grade. Adam, Kayla, Emily, Mitchell, and then me, Zoe Ridge. Her name should have been after mine, but it wasn't. Her name wasn’t called at all. I was confused because she was supposed to have English III with me. We had even talked about it a few days ago.  I just figured she’d transferred at the last minute. But then, that didn’t make sense. She would have told me. Then I turned to my table partner.

“Hey, do you know what happened to Melissa? She was supposed to be in this class.” I asked. Bethany Snider, my desk partner, and a friend since freshman year, looked at me like I had three eyes.

“Who?” she asked. She couldn’t be serious. Was she really so self-centered that she didn’t know her own classmates?

“Melissa Rodgers. You know, Mel?” I was shocked. She still looked completely dumbfounded.

“I have no idea who you’re talking about. Are you sure I know her?” she asked. She didn’t just ask me that.

“I’m talking about Melissa Rodgers! You’ve known her since sixth grade!” I was raising my voice. The teacher paused to look at me. I took a moment to compose myself. Bethany was staring at me. I mean Bethany of all people had to know her. She had hung out with us a few times over summer break.

“Zoey, are you feeling ok?” she asked as if I was crazy.

“Yes! How do you not remember her?” I pleaded.

“I’ve never heard of her.” she said softly.

“Yes you have! We went to the movies like four times last month!” I cried. She flinched. 

“Maybe you should-” I cut her off

“NO!” I screamed as I jumped out of my chair.

“Where is Melissa?! Why are you acting crazy?!” I jumped out of my seat. 

“Ms. Ridge-” the teacher tried.

“You guys know Melissa right?” I begged. The joke wasn’t funny. Someone had to know her. Slowly, everyone began shaking their heads. A few of them even said nope. I was crying hysterically. I saw the teacher going towards the buzzer. I didn’t understand. How? How, after all these years could they not remember her?

“It’s Melissa! Mel! She has been here since the sixth grade! She threw a pool party two months ago! You were all there!” I screamed. I fell to the floor. This was crazy. A cruel joke right? They were tricking me. All of them. Of course they remembered her.

I felt someone grab my shoulders. I looked up to see Bethany. She was my friend, so how could she not remember Melissa? I put my head on her shoulder and cried. 

“Beth, how can you forget her?” I cried. I heard the teacher talking to the principal. I saw the frightened looks my classmates were giving me.

“It’s alright Z. You’ll be fine.” She was trying to soothe me. Everyone else was whispering about me. 

“No Beth, it’s not ok.” I whispered. “You guys are acting crazy. Why don’t you remember her?” I sniffled. She continued rubbing my back as an attempt to calm me down. The others kept mumbling about Melissa, but no one seemed to know who I was talking about. I saw the principal walk in with paramedics, who immediately rushed to my side. They asked if I had taken any illegal drugs before class, which of course I hadn’t. The principal told me my mom would meet us at the hospital.

“I don’t need a hospital!” I screamed. The hospital? They weren’t serious. How could this be happening? My head was  hurting.  They put me on the stretcher, then the second paramedic went around asking the other students what happened. Then I was shoved in the back of an ambulance and rushed away. 

……....

  Bethany’s POV

Class was pretty crazy after that. No one could focus, so Mr. Randall ended class early. By the end of the day, everyone had heard about Zoeys outburst in class, and rumors were spread. After school, I spoke with her mother and explained exactly what had happened. It was a scary experience. It was still the main topic the next day at school. I heard a few kids asking my classmates what had happened. Everyone said it had to be drugs. Some of the boys said she had to have taken Ativan because it would cause hallucinations, and that it was a popular drug. What it really was: a psychotic break.  Melissa was Zoeys’ sister. She had died when Zoey was only 10. By her sixth grade year, Zoey’s mind created false memories of Melissa, and her break was caused by the stress. What made it worse was when no one else knew Melissa. Her mind couldn’t understand what was happening, and she broke. Since she had never told any of us about Melissa before, nobody could help. Her parents decided it would be better for her to spend some time in the Psychiatric ward for a while. She was under strict supervision, and wasn't allowed to have visitors for a while. Over time, she would slowly get her real memories back, and would be able to go home. I just hoped she would get better soon.

October 29, 2021 15:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

7 comments

Keya J.
12:37 Nov 02, 2021

Hey Angelina, This is a beautiful story, trust me. All the emotions are carved so impressively in the plate of reality, giving me goosebumps. All the sentiments of Zoey passed through me effortlessly. The twist at the end caught my heart, putting the readers in an inevitable dilemma, which soul to trust. Great Going!!

Reply

Angel L
13:13 Nov 03, 2021

Thank you!

Reply

Keya J.
04:44 Nov 04, 2021

Welcome! Though, I'd love to know the thoughts put behind the title. It caught me pretty curious.

Reply

Angel L
12:03 Nov 04, 2021

I chose the name Jane Doe because it is what you called an unidentified body. I figured it would fit the situation since Melissa is dead, and nobody knows who she is. You might enjoy my new story.

Reply

Keya J.
16:10 Nov 04, 2021

Oh, that's deep but I appreciate the title. Sure, I plan on reading it soon.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Gip Roberts
20:11 Nov 02, 2021

Good title. Good story. This is the kind of suspense I like, where something seemingly impossible in the real world happens, and then the conclusion answers it in a way that makes me wonder why I never thought of that. Stay inspired, you're doing good.

Reply

Angel L
13:12 Nov 03, 2021

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.