Journey to Atlantis

Submitted into Contest #108 in response to: Write a story about a voyage on a boat.... view prompt

1 comment

Fantasy Fiction

Thalia, an adventurer came upon an ancient scroll that tells of a world that was buried at the bottom of the ocean.

Wow, my god this scroll tells of Atlantis. The Atlantis of myth and legend and I am going to be the one to finally discovery the ancient city.

Thalia put the scroll in her backpack and left the cave of Crete. She walks happily back to her hotel to look at the scroll more intently.

Thalia discovers the site of Atlantis is right where she always believed it was, in Andalusia west of the Mediterranean.

Thalia is beyond happy by what she found, but she doesn't know if going is the right thing to do.

I can't believe I actually found Atlantis. The Atlantis I've been dreaming about all my life. Is this even real? Is going the right decision? This is the discovery of a life time. I have to sleep on it.

Thalia leaves the scroll on the desk and goes to bed.

It is midnight. Thalia is fast asleep when the scroll begins to light up. Thalia wakes up. She goes to the desk and finds the scroll. Thalia picks up the scroll and opens it.

She sees the scroll changing, swirls of light surround Thalia, and swoosh Thalia finds herself inside the scroll.

Thalia falls for what seems like a long time, she closes her eyes, and then all of a sudden Thalia stops falling. She opens her eyes and finds herself on an island.

Thalia looks at her surroundings. She doesn't recognize anything.

Thalia gets up from where she is and begins to walk in any direction. Thalia keeps looking around when she hears voices coming from the direction she is walking.

Thalia heads to where the voices are.

Oh my god! what have I gotten myself into. This can't be really. I must be dreaming. I was in a scroll, now I am on an island, an island I don't recognize. Calm yourself Thalia, you're an adventurer, this is just another one of your adventures.

Once Thalia calms herself down, she calmly walks to where she hears the voices.

A rumbling knocks Thalia off her feet. She looks everywhere to see what that was, then all of a sudden, a hand grabs Thalia. Thalia looks up and sees its a woman her age.

"Come you must not hide."

The lady grabs Thalia, and begin to run. The ground rumbles once again, both ladies fall. Thalia stands up first, she helps the lady up.

"Lets go."

Thalia follows the lady to the ocean, where Thalia sees a giant boat filling up with people.

Thalia stops and looks at what's happening. She looks at the people, they seem harmless, then Thalia stares at the people helping in the evacuation.

Thalia notices those people have long golden hair, pale white skin, are very tall with a lean physique.

Thalia calls the them the golden hair people.

Thalia hears another rumble, she turns around and sees the island is beginning to sink. The strange woman grabs Thalia, and runs to the boat.

Thalia and the woman get on the boat, one of the golden hair people is yelling at the others to get the boat moving. In a matter of minutes the boat takes off.

The evacuees and Thalia see the island sinking into the ocean.

Did I just see that. An entire island sank into the ocean, and what about the people? They are right out of ancient times, and the golden hair people, that is too weird.

Thalia doesn't know what to make of what she just seen, now she's on a boat heading to an unknown destination with strange people.

The waters are rough, the waves are high as the boat. Thalia is holding on for dear life.

Thalia looks up at the sky and see its darkening, drops of rain begin to fall.

"Don't worry about the rain. It always rains on the coast."

"Thank you for saving me. What is your name?"

"My name is Diamantina. You must be from the farmland area."

"You're right. Where are we going?"

"We are going to the main island."

Thalia nods.

As the rain and wind pick up the boat begins to slow down. Diamantina, Thalia and the evacuees begin to panic. The golden hair man at the head of the boat tires to calm everyone down, just then a wave rocks the boat.

Thalia stumbles back. Diamantina grabs hold of Thalia. They hold on to each other. Another wave hits the boat, the boat rocks back and forth. The people scream.

I met Diamantina. She seems like a good person. She asked me if I lived on the farmland. I told her yes. I couldn't possibly tell I come from a different place or possibly a different time. The real trouble has begun.

The sea is not a pretty place to be. The waves are rough, two bigs waves just hit the boat, there is panic everywhere and on top of that heavy rain has begun to pour. I am scared out of mine.

Thalia, Diamantina and the rest of the evacuees are holding on for dear life as more waves hit the boat knocking the people off their seats.

The golden hair people are attempting to help, but they are getting knock down, then a massive ten foot wave comes down on the boat.

Thalia gets knock down, she sees the boat wasn't destroyed, but there are people missing.

Thalia gets up, she looks around the boat in search of Diamantina. Thalia can't find her. She looks over the boat and finds Diamantina hanging from the side of the boat.

Thalia goes to help Diamantina. She is having trouble getting Diamantina back on the boat. Thalia sees one of the golden hair people coming to help her.

They both lift Diamantina back onto the boat. Thalia thanks the guy. He smiles at her.

"Are you okay?"

Diamantina nods.

The waves keep coming one after another for an hour. Thankfully the golden hair people know how to sail in rough waters.

After an hour of drenching rain and massive waves help has finally arrived, another boat with golden hair people arrives.

I'm shaken. I have never experience anything like that before. I almost lost a friend in Diamantina, but what is most scary is that I almost lost my life.

The waves kept on coming, many of the evacuees lost their lives. I felt sad for them. As the rain and waves died down, help finally came in the arrival of more golden hair people.

Everybody on the boat breath a sigh of relief when help came. The two boats fasten rope around each other, and sail safely to the main island.

It is smooth sailing to the main island, for the next day and half Thalia and Diamantina got to know each other.

Thalia's boat reaches the out skirts of the main island. She loos around and sees something very familiar, but she can't put a finger on it.

As the boat continues to sail, one of the golden hair people announces they are have reached the final destination.

Thalia gets out of her seat, she looks out at the island and sees a land she has studied her entire professional career, but never imagined she would see.

One of the golden hair people says "Welcome to Atlantis."

Thalia stares in disbelief.

Oh my god! The golden hair people are the Atlanteans of myth and legend. This is truly amazing. I get to see the real Atlantis.

Before Thalia disembarks the scroll begins to light up, she sees Diamantina and the golden hair people waving at her, then as before swirls of light surround Thalia and swoosh Thalia wakes up in her bed.

Was this just a dream. Did I actually see Atlantis?

Thalia picks up the scroll, she looks at the scroll and sees something written on the scroll.

"I hope your adventure wasn't too scary."

Thalia smiles.

I did see Atlantis.

August 26, 2021 21:19

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Sue Brown
23:56 Sep 01, 2021

I enjoyed your story. And I liked your style. My only comment is that you started lots of paragraphs with "Thalia". I'm not sure if you meant to do this, but I found it repetitive. Please don't take this as a criticism, it's not. It's just a thought, but maybe you could mix things up a bit more.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.