0 comments

Inspirational Lesbian Romance

By the time I stepped outside, the leaves were on fire. A hue of orange and just a slight tinge of a lemon rind radiated from the leaves of autumn. Henna smelled the breezy, cold air and let out a sigh of relief that made her shudder. She never felt this jubilant and free from the mere cast of fire stretched out in front of her. She wonders if she was finally from her own fire burning within her; the fire that kept her insane for months.

"Well someone's looking fine today," Kera smiled sadly, "Finally up?"

Henna hugged her coat tightly and gave a weak smile. She walked back into the warmth of the cabin as she stood in silence, staring into the portable firepit they had set up. Kera saw the fire reflect against Henna's eyes; like a fire dying out and going into darkness.

"Henna-", Kera grabbed her by the arm, "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to!"

Kera pulled away. But was it her stubbornness or was it her rage within her that reflected like the fire in front of them?

"Just leave me alone," Henna sighed, "You'll never understand. No matter what." And just like that, Kera left the living room and back to her room again, locked.

***

After three hours passed, Kera knocked on Henna's door hoping she would answer the door. To her surprise, the door opened to darkness and nothingness. Kera took a step back and was speechless.

"Again?" said Kera warily, " You're just going to lock yourself up again in this hellhole? Do you even have a life?"

Henna stared blankly at Kera and that's when she exploded. "Until you try to understand what's going on with me, you can stay out of my life. You're toxic. Get out!"

"Fine!" shouted Kera. She stomped across the hallway and into her cabin room fuming with rage. "What's up with her, anyway?" All she does is stay holed up in her room for a month! "Depression?" tutted Kera, "I'm sad too. What's the big deal? Everyone gets sad at one point in their lives anyway. She's just an attention seeker."

Suddenly, Kera calmed down so quick like the autumn leaves falling. "Maybe," sighed Kera, "I was too quick to judge...After all, she is my best friend and I shouldn't let bad emotions be a problem in this friendship." She sat on her bed and stared on her creaked wooden floor, helpless. "But what do I do?"

***

The next day, Kera went out to the city to get some groceries for the cabin. They were running out on supplies and she had always been the one responsible for the goods. Strolling across the small town in autumn felt great for her; it felt like calmness after a birthday candle was blown. She sniffed the smell of flowers and packed a bag of baguettes from the local bakery for sandwiches as dinner. After getting her chores done, she took out her truck keys and was about to walk to the parking lot when she accidentally bumped into her old friend, Diana.

"Diana?" Kera went wide-eyed.

"Oh, it's you." Diana deadpanned.

Kera ignored the offense and was still speechless from the run-in,

"W-what are you doing here?" stammered Kera.

"I should be asking you that"

"I live in the woods just a few kilometers away and came to get groceries. I'm just doing the usuals."

Diana's eyes softened and her lips turned into a genuine smile.

"Oh..." Diana smiled, "I see you're living a different life now."

"Yeah," Kera nodded, "Currently living with a roommate back in the cabin"

Diana raised an eyebrow, "Huh, I see. Well, how is she doing?"

Kera hesitated for a moment and was nervously moving her legs back and forth. Diana noticed.

"You know," sighed Diana, " you can just tell me. I know you too well. You were my girlfriend so just shoot along."

"Well, Henna's being a real jerk and has been staying in her room for a month and it's already autumn and she's claiming she has depression which is such an excuse!" Kera blurted out. She cupped her mouth in shock. She didn't realize how angry she was about the situation.

Diana stared in silence. She was staring at Kera from head to toe and could definitely tell she was wearing a mask of judgmentalism on her face. "You're an idiot. No wonder I broke up with you."

"What is THAT supposed to mean?" Kera raised her voice.

"She's suffering from depression and you're treating it like it's nothing. You did the same to me when we were together 5 years ago. You couldn't understand jack no matter how much I explained. " Diana sighed, " There's a difference and mental health is a serious issue. There's a difference and you can make that difference."

Diana shook her head and walked off to the small street in her boots, leaving Kera behind with loss of words. It was a quiet journey home back to the cabin, the usual spur of country and pop music that boomed from her radio was dead. She was lost in thoughts. She parked her car into the driveway and sat there for a long time. "What have I done?" Kera cried in her car, "I'm going to lose her too, this time."

"You won't," came a voice from the window, " I won't leave you."

"Henna?"

"Why aren't you coming in? It's getting chilly," Henna gave a weak smile.

Kera burst out of the front driver's door and hugged Kera tightly. Henna was taken aback, " What's wrong?"

"I'm sorry I couldn't understand you better and be there for you when you needed me. I'm sorry for making judgments I shouldn't have," Kera stared deeply into Henna's eyes, " I will be your support, and your fire keeping you pain will be extinguished soon."

The night sky sparkled as both of them held each other in their arms as they kissed and felt their hearts beat together as one.

October 10, 2020 17:46

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.